Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2009 · 5D/FD85L combo

wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 5D/FD85L combo

First of all, congrats on the conversion of your lens Jim.

Paul, good to see you back!

I wish I could use my f-mount 85L on a Nikon body. It bumped into too much stuff in the D700. I did finally get it mount on a F3HP, but then there is the mirror issue. I haven't tried it on a cropped camera, but will when a D40 I purchased arrives.

So far I can only use it on my G1--I sometimes wonder how it would do on a Canon body with a Nikon to Canon adapter.

There is another f-mount 85L that I'm aware of but it looks like the rear element is missing--what do you think?

Pics ( these were posted in the Nikon forum, but never heard back from the owner how the lens performed ):

Jun 20, 2009 at 02:40 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · 5D/FD85L combo

It certainly looks to me like the rear element is missing, which means it is a permanent soft-focus lens. I don't know why anyone would even bother...

Jun 20, 2009 at 03:29 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · 5D/FD85L combo

pengland wrote:
What method did you use to locate and hold the rear element in your conversion? How much do you have shaved from the mirror in your 5D? Any other clearance issues within the mirror box? Is the aperture control as per nFD standard or the older standard?

I used the existing rear element assembly. I simply used a Dremel to cut that part out of the existing mount and then mounted that into the new mount. It basically fit perfectly inside a C/Y adapter after grinding off the internal flanges of the C/Y adapter. Using the existing assembly in this way allows for fine-tuning because the rear element is threaded into it. Turning the rear element in the threads allows about 1mm of adjustment. I have not found any evidence that the rear element needs to be placed precisely where it was in the original design. As long as it is "close enough" the results are spectacular, in my experience. I only made a "reasonable effort" to get the rear element in the ideal position. I didn't measure any of the stuff. I just stuck it all together and made sure the rear element was about 1-2mm beyond the EOS mount, which my shaved 5d mirror easily accommodated.

It is a breach-lock lens, so the aperture control is the old style. I needed to fabricate and install two parts in order to ensure aperture control throughout the focusing range. Hours and hours messing with tin snips and various gauges and types of sheet metal, but so worth the effort.

Edited on Jun 20, 2009 at 03:55 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2009 at 03:52 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.2 #4 · 5D/FD85L combo

For a comparison, her is the last element of my f-mount 85L.

Jun 20, 2009 at 03:54 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · 5D/FD85L combo

Yeah, yours was done right. Unfortunately "done right" means all kinds of mirror and box issues on the Nikons.

Jun 20, 2009 at 03:59 PM
AlexTokyo
• •
p.2 #6 · 5D/FD85L combo

Congratulations Jim. The FD 85L is becoming one of my favorite lens. What amazes me is how it performs wide open.
Light wasn't too great on that one, but the 85L/5D combo pulled it out. (ISO 1250, f/1.2)

Enjoy your new gem!

Jun 21, 2009 at 01:33 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · 5D/FD85L combo

Can anyone with one of these do a shootout against 85L EF versions I and/or II?

-Ed

Jun 21, 2009 at 02:49 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.2 #8 · 5D/FD85L combo

Ed Sawyer wrote:

-Ed

Know what? I've just realized an unexpected expense, and need to let this FD/EF 85L go up for sale. I will be posting a listing on the B&S board , soon.

If anyone is interested in this lens, please send me a PM. I would love to see it compared to the current EF 85L II, once and for all.

Its common knowledge at this point, but a 5D with shaved mirror is required to use this lens.

Jun 21, 2009 at 05:17 PM
h_rearden
• •
p.2 #9 · 5D/FD85L combo

Ed Sawyer wrote:

-Ed

It has already been done.

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/TEST_85mm_f_1,2/00_pag.htm

The short story: The FD is better.

Jun 21, 2009 at 05:35 PM
debuggerus
• • •
p.2 #10 · 5D/FD85L combo

I briefly tested my 85L FD against a 85L EF II on my 40D. Center sharpness was almost the same (85 EF II wins). The 85 EF II somehow let a little more light in than my 85 FD. Perhaps it was caused by the 85 FD's conversion (I bought an already converted one). In the end, the difference was so small I decided to let go of the 85 EF II and kept the 85 FD.
I'll post samples later when I get home. Would love to see some other samples.

Jun 21, 2009 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

debuggerus
• • •
p.2 #11 · 5D/FD85L combo

Samples from my limited test on a 40D (using live view from a laptop)

EF 85mm F/1.2L II:

85mm FD f/1.2L

Jun 22, 2009 at 02:30 PM
h_rearden
• •
p.2 #12 · 5D/FD85L combo

The 100% crop of the EF has way more artifacts. Are they JPEG compression artifacts or sharpening artifacts, and why are they absent in the FD 100% crop?

Also, the EF is showing distinctly more achromatism in the highlights.

Jun 22, 2009 at 03:09 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · 5D/FD85L combo

The FD looks a bit better yes but 85mm and f/1.2 where I really have use for AF.

Jun 22, 2009 at 03:12 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · 5D/FD85L combo

Interesting comparison shots. Thanks.

Maybe I'll rent an EF some day and see how it compares to the Asph.

Jun 22, 2009 at 03:47 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · 5D/FD85L combo

h_rearden wrote:
It has already been done.

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/TEST_85mm_f_1,2/00_pag.htm

The short story: The FD is better.

I am familiar with that test, but given the limited samples used, it would be meaningful to get more data.

-Ed

Jun 22, 2009 at 03:50 PM
pengland
• • •
p.2 #16 · 5D/FD85L combo

Anden wrote:
The FD looks a bit better yes but 85mm and f/1.2 where I really have use for AF.

I see that you have said this more than once in these forums. Are you trying to convince yourself? Just kidding....ha ha....you are an alt-head...sell your EF, get an FD and spend the difference on another alt.......you know you want it!

Jun 23, 2009 at 05:13 PM
Silentlight
• •
p.2 #17 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
Yes, it is the Grandpa 85 L (as far as I know it is the same optical formula as the FD 85/1.2 L, but it has 9 aperture blades instead of 8) ....

I wonder if the lens coating might be of a different formula? Radioactive vs. something else? Yours looks a bit yellowish in the front.

Jun 23, 2009 at 06:14 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · 5D/FD85L combo

Photos of front elements really tell us very little about the coatings on a lens, since they are only representative of the light being reflected at that particular angle. If you used Jim's (or Bill's) photo to judge the coatings on the FD 85/1.2 L, you might conclude that it is not coated at all. Rest assured that tilting my front element this way and that reveals a rainbow of SSC goodness

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Canon changed up the coating formulation here and there.

Radioactive? Highly doubtful. If you look straight through it (ruling out coatings) it is "white" and there is no typical warm caste in the shots like with the radioactive Takumars or Rokkors.

(BTW, radioactivity and coatings are completely unrelated. The wording of your questions seems to indicate a misunderstanding there)

Edited on Jun 23, 2009 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2009 at 06:28 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · 5D/FD85L combo

pengland wrote:
I see that you have said this more than once in these forums. Are you trying to convince yourself? Just kidding....ha ha....you are an alt-head...sell your EF, get an FD and spend the difference on another alt.......you know you want it!

I was thinking the same thing, but decided to take it easy on our dear Andreas.

After all, he does do such nice work with the EF!

Jun 23, 2009 at 06:30 PM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.2 #20 · 5D/FD85L combo

To celebrate Paulīs return on board the FM alt train - some recent walkaround shots with my Dim.Ka converted FD85L on 5D2

Jun 23, 2009 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password