New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2009 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Greg Schneider
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Has anyone else noticed frequent purple casts? It seems that the WB in general is adjusted to be too purple in tint. Not a big deal to fix in RAW conversion, but I'm surprised it's there in the first place. I also notice there is much less headroom to move WB around, though I'm sure that's partially due to in camera processing on the data before it hits the RAW compared to the more neutral processing of the Mk3.

Apr 25, 2009 at 01:58 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Two bodies being shot in studio and outdoors, never had a cast problem or anything less then stellar headroom. What are your settings and what programs do you use in your workflow?

Apr 25, 2009 at 02:08 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magenta casts on the 50D

ACR is what I generally use. It seems as if the settings for WB in camera just have too much tint, as if I shot, say, daylight in camera it's more purple than daylight if selected from the ACR menu.

Apr 25, 2009 at 02:31 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I used to have this problem with the 40D. It seems to only affect it in JPEG so I'm shooting RAW most of the time now.

You say magenta in the title and purple in the thread body. Which is it? I had a problem with the magenta/red end of the spectrum. Perhaps you could post a sample.

Apr 25, 2009 at 05:03 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I would say it's more red. I'd even say the VF has a bit of a red tint, though maybe it's just my imagination and/or not related.

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:04 PM
Sibilant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I noticed this when I first got the camera. Once Adobe updated the camera profiles (I convert to Standard on import), the color cast went away.

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:32 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Another possible issue is that if you've installed the most recent firmware and are shooting sRAW1, you may need an update for ACR from Adobe to obtain the correct color balance.

Probably goes without saying, but if you're seeing color casts in your photos, it can be good to check with DPP (or an in-camera JPEG) to see what Canon intended. That can tell you if the problem is with the camera or in your software.

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:38 PM
flanny

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magenta casts on the 50D

See Arthur Morris' comments regarding red/magenta color cast with 50D:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=232556#post232556

Apr 29, 2009 at 06:07 PM
milmoejoe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I've had two 50d's, and compared with the 1d3 RAW's.

The 50d's most definitely produced a magenta cast- to the tune of a +8->15 shift in the ACR tint level.

I found the in-camera adjustments to make negligible difference in the overall amount of added hue.

Apr 30, 2009 at 08:11 AM
jcbenner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I have noticed the magenta cast as well. AWB not nearly as accurate as 1Ds Mark III for the same shot. Seems like an easy item to cure with a firmware update.

Apr 30, 2009 at 08:52 AM
jcbenner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magenta casts on the 50D

What happens on the 50D if you set WB using an Expodisk or some other WB tool? Do you still get a magenta cast?

Apr 30, 2009 at 08:59 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Interesting discussion. I've gone back and looked at more photos, and one place where I do see a big difference is with indoor incandescent lighting. The typical color temperature in my home office is about 2800-2900 degrees Kelvin. The 5D2 renders this quite well using a Kelvin WB setting, but the 50D shows a definite red/magenta shift at the same settings, requiring a Tone control adjustment in DPP (+1 or +2).

I don't seem to see this shift so much in daylight images, but will do some more testing.

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM
NAisBEST

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Magenta casts on the 50D

When shooting in sRAW1 for the first time last week I noticed a fairly strong magenta cast as well.

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I've been shooting mostly daylight, full sized RAW images. And I agree on about +10 tint values in ACR.

Apr 30, 2009 at 02:13 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Magenta casts on the 50D

milmoejoe wrote:
The 50d's most definitely produced a magenta cast- to the tune of a +8->15 shift in the ACR tint level.

That is a lot.

Apr 30, 2009 at 02:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I use DPP 3.6 to convert my RAW files. Using Standard, Neutral or Landscape with AW there is no magenta cast. I rarely need to tweak WB or color tone. However, the Portrait Pic Style does have a magenta cast. No biggie. Just avoid it.

I was never able to get good color from ACR unless I did a lot of mousing...

Apr 30, 2009 at 05:47 PM
noelfoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Portrait Picture Style always has Magenta cast, don't worry.

But I notice the MAgenta cast too, compared to my 5D MKII. All the presets and custom whte balances of the 50D has MAgenta cast.
I can't shoot with the two cameras because of that.
The skin tone and white dress of the bride looks magenta... :-(

May 08, 2009 at 09:47 PM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Magenta casts on the 50D

I always had magenta casts in both of my 40Ds. Never had the problem with my old XTi though, not sure what's going on there. Bummer that it sounds like it's come through to the 50D.

All 3 of my latest Nikon bodies (2 D300s and 1 D90) have a green cast to them.

Cameras suck

May 08, 2009 at 09:56 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Magenta casts on the 50D

Well golly... there is a small magenta cast, and not only in AWB, but in preset modes too. It's not something I noticed that much before doing side by side comparisons with my other cameras (hence my initial comments above).

FYI, the 50D does have a "White Balance Shift" control which can be used to apply a persistent bias to the color... it may be possible to neutralize this that way...

May 09, 2009 at 12:58 AM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Magenta casts on the 50D

garyvot wrote:
Well golly... there is a small magenta cast, and not only in AWB, but in preset modes too. It's not something I noticed that much before doing side by side comparisons with my other cameras (hence my initial comments above).

I had the same experience, I noticed it under fluorescents like you did, and in a few other images here and there. Then when I started correcting for it, I realized it was pretty much in all images I shot. Totally weird that it would carry over from the 40D to the 50D with completely different sensors.

May 09, 2009 at 01:05 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.