New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

surfotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

I'm looking for input from those who have used the Vivitar series 1, 90-180/4.5 macro. I'm interested in how well CA's are controlled, quality of Bokeh, and resolving power on a 24 mp body. All replies and examples appreciated.

Scott

Feb 06, 2009 at 04:20 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

It is sharp, has a great bokeh and it is very versatile.
CA has not been a problem for me. No torture tests though.
It is one special lens and one should consider that it is a true macro zoom. Not a zoom with macro abilities.
Donīt know how well it works on a 24mp sensor.
I have only used it on a 40D and 5D.

A

Feb 06, 2009 at 06:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

Andreas, Thanks for posting the Series 1 90-180mm Macro shots - it's an important "Cult Classic", and it looks like it holds up very well on modern DSLR bodies (some of them do not). I really like your photos No. 2, 5 and 7, but I notice your No. 5 isn't as sharp in the "in focus" areas as the others, so I wonder, is it the shutter speed (1/80 vs. 1/200)? Did you use a tripod?

Feb 06, 2009 at 06:37 PM
surfotog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

Thank you you for posting these, very nice. I'll have to seriously consider getting one of these for my A900.
Have you erver tried it with extension tubes to get greater than 1:2 magnification?

Feb 06, 2009 at 07:15 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

jcolwell wrote:
Andreas, Thanks for posting the Series 1 90-180mm Macro shots - it's an important "Cult Classic", and it looks like it holds up very well on modern DSLR bodies (some of them do not). I really like your photos No. 2, 5 and 7, but I notice your No. 5 isn't as sharp in the "in focus" areas as the others, so I wonder, is it the shutter speed (1/80 vs. 1/200)? Did you use a tripod?

Thanks! These are all shot inside a greenhouse handheld. I was pushing it with 1/80 at 180mm...
It is plenty sharp. Even wide open.

A

Feb 07, 2009 at 04:21 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro

surfotog wrote:
Thank you you for posting these, very nice. I'll have to seriously consider getting one of these for my A900.
Have you erver tried it with extension tubes to get greater than 1:2 magnification?

I have many macro lenses and I donīt need to use this for greater than 1:2.
I think you will have to add alot of extention to get closer due to the long FL.

A good closeup filter is a better bet.

A

Feb 07, 2009 at 04:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.