New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2009 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

rowan57
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

Hey folks, i got my Phottix BP-40D Battery Grip yesterday, and am very happy with it, so i thought i would write a short review. I bought it from ebay seller Etefore (Hong Kong Supplies), who also stocks a wide range of other Phottix stuff, wireless remotes etc. I paid £50 for it, so under 1/2 the price of the Canon alternative. I believe it also fits the rest of the XXD range but you would have to check.

Shipping was fast, it was shipped within a couple of days of purchase, and with the standard shipping option, arrived in 7 days to the UK from Hong Kong. The packaging was good, the plastic pack that holds the grip was folded over to allow it to be squeezed into a smaller padded envelope, which was fine. I did not buy the batteries with it, in hindsight i wish i had.

The grip is very solid, i havent felt the BG-E2N but let me make a few observations. Once the wheel is tightened up, there is no play between the grip and the camera: (Apologies for the quality of the shots, taken with an old Canon P&S)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/3233144107_7198859f60_b.jpg

The grip adds a nice weight to the camera, despite me only having one battery in it (Long story).
The buttons all work and feel nice (I believe they are the same layout as the BG-E2N) and the build quality seems very good:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3233993030_9ea7bedd42_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3233992838_a0749b660f_b.jpg

There is no rattle in my battery door, it feels good and solid:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3233143133_c62b43546f_b.jpg

The battery bay seems good, i havent tried AA batteries in it yet, and probably wont have the need to, but it does come with the tray for however many AA's it is.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3233992606_b93e98c8bb_b.jpg

The bottom of the grip has a tripod hole as it should, and also a strap connector, same as the BG-E2N, which i wouldn't hesitate in trusting, it feels very strong.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3233991302_e130753505_b.jpg

Overall, extremely good for the price. A couple of quick notes: Online there have been reports of issues getting 6.5fps, i did a rudimentary test with a remote release and timer, and seemed to comfortably get 6.5fps, maybe people were using slow cards, had high-iso NR on, i dont know.

You have to switch the grip on to use it, but dont have to have the grip switched on to use the camera, which helps save battery when not shooting in portrait mode.

I will try and follow up in a few weeks when i have had more use out of it.

Regards
Rowan

Jan 28, 2009 at 06:55 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

Thanks Rowan

Looking at the images you post, then once again I wonder how long it can be before the Chinese bring out their own DSLR range.

Jan 28, 2009 at 07:10 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

That seller should pay you for these great photos. Maybe you can tell them about it and see if they would send you 2 more batteries.

Jan 28, 2009 at 07:56 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I bought the BG-E2N, but you can't really tell any difference from the Phottix when looking at your pictures, other than the obvious Made in China, Phottix labels.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I have bought their UV filters and were very happy. This grip looks great. Is there any twist

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

If there's no play between the grip and camera, I'd say it's better made than the Canon's grip. I bought one for my 450D and even after the wheel was tightened, the grip still moved, albeit by a fraction of a mm.

Feb 01, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

Great pics and review. Thanks. This looks like quite a viable alternative, especially considering the Canon option is not exactly perfect. I was never thrilled with my grip on the 20D.

rowan57 wrote:
You have to switch the grip on to use it, but dont have to have the grip switched on to use the camera, which helps save battery when not shooting in portrait mode.

It saves battery life? Really? Where'd you hear that?

I was under the impression it only disables the additional buttons so you don't hit them accidentally.

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:04 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I bought a Phottix battery for my 1Ds3 on UK ebay, it's a great deal better than the last clone I bought. Seems a decent company.

David

Feb 01, 2009 at 02:40 AM
rhorta
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

A lump of plastic, is a lump of plastic, is a lump of plastic...

Bottix did a good job indeed, it made the same (cheap) lump of plastic, but at an honest price

Ruy

Feb 01, 2009 at 06:45 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

dhphoto wrote:
I bought a Phottix battery for my 1Ds3 on UK ebay, it's a great deal better than the last clone I bought. Seems a decent company.

David

Actually, I take that back. My 'backup' battery has lost 55% of it's charge in just over a week. So Phottix has gone down a bit in my estimation

David

Feb 01, 2009 at 07:03 AM
hwy101

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I also bought a BP-40D Battery Grip and a wireless remote along with other items from the same place. I was surprised by the quality considering the price and all items were just as Rowan explained. The only thing I found not to be up to par was a hood for my 100 2.8 Macro, it is loose. Overall happy with the place though.

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:43 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I bought a 40D off ebay recently and it had this grip...it wan't until I removed it from the camera that I noticed.

I have a 10D with the Canon grip and both are equally solid...almost as solid as the grip on my 1V.

There is a slight styling difference however...the Canon has a'textured' surface on both back and front of the grip....and a space to store the detachable camera battery door which has to be removed when fitting a grip. I believe the latest Canon grip can take AA batteries as well.

However...at the price...this is a bargain.

Feb 01, 2009 at 11:36 AM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

Ariel wrote:
It saves battery life? Really? Where'd you hear that?

I was under the impression it only disables the additional buttons so you don't hit them accidentally.

I think i just assumed. I figure even just disabling those extra buttons must save a teeny-weeny bit of power at least.

Cheers
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:44 PM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

dhphoto wrote:
Actually, I take that back. My 'backup' battery has lost 55% of it's charge in just over a week. So Phottix has gone down a bit in my estimation

David

David, it might be worth dropping Etefore an email about it, he seems like a decent guy and he may send you a new battery or something along those lines.

Regards
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:46 PM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

hwy101 wrote:
I also bought a BP-40D Battery Grip and a wireless remote along with other items from the same place. I was surprised by the quality considering the price and all items were just as Rowan explained. The only thing I found not to be up to par was a hood for my 100 2.8 Macro, it is loose. Overall happy with the place though.

I think unfortunately with the non official products, there is always likely to be more sample variation, i use a different ebay store for hoods currently because i know they fit nicely. pm me if you would like the name.

Cheers
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:48 PM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

anthonygh wrote:
I bought a 40D off ebay recently and it had this grip...it wan't until I removed it from the camera that I noticed.

I have a 10D with the Canon grip and both are equally solid...almost as solid as the grip on my 1V.

There is a slight styling difference however...the Canon has a'textured' surface on both back and front of the grip....and a space to store the detachable camera battery door which has to be removed when fitting a grip. I believe the latest Canon grip can take AA batteries as well.

However...at the price...this is a bargain.

The only thing that is different is the texture not being on both sides. The Phottix does have a battery door compartment (Next to the battery compartment shaft) and it can also take AA's, you may not have been provided with the cartridge necessary.

Cheers
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:49 PM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

n0b0 wrote:
If there's no play between the grip and camera, I'd say it's better made than the Canon's grip. I bought one for my 450D and even after the wheel was tightened, the grip still moved, albeit by a fraction of a mm.

I don't exactly want to rip the grip off the camera but after messing with it for a while, i can certainly say that with my copy, there is NO play between it and the camera.

Cheers
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 01:50 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

rowan57 wrote:
I don't exactly want to rip the grip off the camera but after messing with it for a while, i can certainly say that with my copy, there is NO play between it and the camera.

Cheers
Rowan

My BG-E2 had a tiny bit of play on my 20D. I didn't have any ERROR99 problems but my lenses are small and light (biggest is EF 300 4L USM). Oddly the same BG-E2 is super snug and tight on my 40D and 50D. Feels like it is part of the body. Apparently Canon improved the underside of the XXD cameras.

Feb 01, 2009 at 02:32 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

There is no play between my Canon grip and 40D, but I certainly wouldn't call it sealed by any stretch. If you look close enough, there are gaps in the seam between the body/grip.

Feb 01, 2009 at 02:45 PM
rowan57
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BG-E2N Alternative - Phottix BP-40D

I wouldnt call the Phottix sealed either, but then the 40D isn't weather sealed so it doesnt really matter i guess.

Cheers
Rowan

Feb 01, 2009 at 05:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.