New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Don Price
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Well the 5MKII look to work fine so far, and setting the Menu has shown many things I didn't know about... just about everyone is good, except (here we go).. I have two Sigma EF500-DG Super flash, and the5DmkII will not fire them under any setup, most are grayed out but even manual " just flash" will not fire the 500...? I was hoping at the least to use it as a trigger..... One answer is buy the 580EX but there must be a second solution?? these have always worked on my 20D the Canon
Don

Edited on Dec 05, 2008 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2008 at 08:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Strange that it wont fire at all. But this is the problem with 3rd party stuff, it should work with equipment that was around when the thing was released but as the likes of sigma and others have to reverse engineer there will be no way to tell if it will work with future equipment even when the genuine item of the same era (ex range of flashes and ALL EF lenses) still work.
Maybe a quick chat to someone at sigma may help.

Good luck

Dec 05, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Sounds like Canon have found a problem with Sigma's reverse engineering and might ahve introduced a 'silent fix' to the way the flash works!

Dec 05, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Jimbobp
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

This is not unusual. It will happen with Sigma lenses, too.

Dec 05, 2008 at 01:45 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Jimbobp wrote:
This is not unusual. It will happen with Sigma lenses, too.

Not necessarily - Sigma already may have managed to completely reverse engineer everything about the EF mount - there will come a day when they do (and we might be there already)

Dec 08, 2008 at 03:46 AM
Susan_S
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

There's a firmware upgrade necessary for the EF DG Super flash and the EF Sigma macro flash to get them to work with the 50D - so not much suprise that it's also required for the 5D2. If you go to Sigma's website there's a notice about who to contact to get it done. I hope that the upgrade will fix the flashes to work with the 5D2 as well. (It's free and can apparently be done on all the versions of the Sigma flashes that came out after ETTL 2 was introduced. If your flashes are earlier pre ETTL2, then they are not upgradeable.)

I need to get mine done if I'm going to upgrade to either the 50D or the 5D2, but the Sigma Australian distributor knew nothing about it when I contacted them a few weeks ago. Luckily mine were cheap (one grey market, one in a bankruptcy auction - not something I mentioned to the distributor!) so it's not a huge loss if I can't. Just one more reason not to buy Sigma gear again.

Dec 08, 2008 at 07:46 AM
Don Price
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Hi Susan, thank you for the info, my units are "ETTL" no mention in the manual of ETTL-II so I may have a problem. Sigma support replied within hours and ask for the serial numbers on Thursday, no word after that... they must have figures out they were not upgradeable and put my request in the trash can (;-)
I use them mostly in a small lightbox, and one as a trigger,,, Wonder if the little 220EX would fire my sigma flash or will I have to go to the 430EX-II.
With an adapter I can attach a PC cord to the flash and plug it into the side of the 5DMKII but that means full power on each flash and I would have to do the guide number in my head like the old days..Thank agn, I own a hammer and I will get it to work somehow.

Note for those who read this far...using CS3's raw converter will not work until I buy CS4....But, a work around is to go to Phase one/Capture one and select all (no changes) and convert them to DNG files ...(I knew I would fine a use for DNG) now they work in the lold raw converter in CS3.. I could use DPP-3.5 include with camera but like Phase one better.
don

Dec 08, 2008 at 10:05 AM
Don Price
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Update: Sigma just e-mailed me to sent the 500DG in for a free upgrade to ETTL-II ..$10 each to cover return shipping in the US. May have got lucky yet !!! the proof is how they work when returned..
Don

Dec 08, 2008 at 03:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

warning sunpak flashes seem to be disabled by the new canons cams 50D/5DMkII too. Pretty annoying and dirty thing for canon too do. I wanted a little pop-up replacement and got the sunpak 2000. So they don't put a flash in the 5dmkii and then they go and disable all the compact replacements.... bad canon. bad canon.

Dec 10, 2008 at 03:14 PM
Don Price
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Contact Sunpak, if they are like Sigma they will fix the problem..Free, of course I have not got the two 500DG's back but the gal said they will fix the problem
Don

Dec 10, 2008 at 04:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Don Price wrote:
Contact Sunpak, if they are like Sigma they will fix the problem..Free, of course I have not got the two 500DG's back but the gal said they will fix the problem
Don

hmm i should, actually their repair center for the US is practically in my backyard, like a 5 minute drive. (not that i like this since they decided to put a bunch of giant companies right in the middle of a nice forest and chopped down like 500 acres although I sunpak might be in the building along the main road at the edge that has been there for years so perhaps their building wasn't part of the new mess).

Dec 10, 2008 at 06:58 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

I had the problem with the Sigma units on a 5DMk2 Canon lent us to use for a couple of days. Sent them into Sigma for the update and they work fine on the 5DMk2 that arrived last week as well as my son's new 50D. Painless and quick, you should be fine.

Dec 10, 2008 at 07:04 PM
Don Price
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

Tnx Davenfl, that sound great...I sent them a couple days ago... so looking forward to there return
Don

Dec 10, 2008 at 09:31 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D MKII with the Sigma EF500DG Super

skibum5 wrote:
warning sunpak flashes seem to be disabled by the new canons cams 50D/5DMkII too. Pretty annoying and dirty thing for canon too do... bad canon. bad canon.

Shouldn't it be, " bad Sunpak" instead of "bad Canon" since it is Sunpak that marketed and sold an inferior product with incomplete reverse engineering? Just a thought.

Omar

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.