Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Michael Gordon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Hmm, Just about to get this interesting gizmo when noted that the orientation of the tilt/shift can not be changed as in the Canon 90 T-S. Seems like for macro that would not be convenient but I wonder who much of an inconvenience that is? As I don't have any experience with it, would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Mike

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

I would prefer it if the Mirex shift was up and down, when the tilt is lens front up or down (but it's not), as you could use shift (or rise) to recompose after tilting, as it tilts at the base of the adapter, not through the centre axis of the lens. OTOH, I generally use it on a Manfrotto 410 geared head, so the recompose is probably easier and faster to accomplish with the head than it would be by using lens rise. In most cases with the Mirex, I either use tilt or shift, not both. I recently got a Mamiya M645 Auto-Bellows N for macro work - it has tilt/swing and rise/shift on the front standard.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Thank you. Doesn't sound like a deal breaker then. Perhaps I should keep an eye out for one of those bellows too. IIRC, Novoflex has Mamiya to Can adapters and even to OM.
Appreciate your comments.
Mike

Nov 26, 2008 at 02:16 AM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Mike, Fotodiox also has a 645 to EOS adapter for under $100. Haven't used it.

Don

Nov 26, 2008 at 03:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

The Fotodiox adapters are fine. I bought one from fotodiox_gear, and later I bought another that looked the same from a different seller. The second one is virtually identical to the Fotodiox (clones seem to spread quickly) except that its EF mount flange was 180 deg out of alignment, and so the centre of the aperture scale is on the underside of the lens when it's mounted. Quick fix: remove four screws, rotate and replace mount flange, replace four screws & it's good as new, with a slightly tighter fit than the Fotodiox.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:48 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

There is only 21mm of flange distance difference for the Mirex adapter to do its magic. Subtract 5mm from that to hold the thickness of the Mamiya mount. Within that 16mm of room or so, they do shift, tilt, and rotate 360 degrees.

To achieve this feat the shift is not stacked on top of the tilt, but juxtaposed in a very ingenious fashion. Such juxtaposition is only possible if tilt is perpendicular to shift. Unfortunately it is not possible to make any tilt shift adapter with the two in the same direction at all. Mirex has done the impossible and you guys are asking for the impossible impossible.

Nov 26, 2008 at 06:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

cyberstudio wrote:
Mirex has done the impossible and you guys are asking for the impossible impossible.

If you don't ask, you'll never get anything.

Nov 26, 2008 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Thanks for the suggestions. I may ask Srb Griturn to make a custom adapter from Canon
to OM to mount the Mirex for macro on my OM gear as well as 5D---should make for a real alternative type of arrangement. Too bad Oly never marketed their T-S bellows. I think I would like a Mamiya T-S bellows soon.
I wonder if the Zoerk gizmo is constructed in a similar fashion with the tilt at 90 deg to the shift. The front mount is meant for enlarger lenses and I see it as slightly less versatile.
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.
Mike

Nov 27, 2008 at 07:27 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Is this going to produce better results than the 45mm Canon T-S lens ?

Nov 28, 2008 at 03:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

I haven't used a Canon TS-E 45/2.8 so I can't compare it directly with the equivalent Mamiya lenses, which would be M645 C 35/3.5N, 45/2.8N and 55/2.8N, but I can make a few relevant comments:

(i) Mamiya M645 lenses are generally as good as most high-quality lenses (incl. Canon, Zeiss, Pentax, and Hasselblad) and better than many;

(ii) Mamiya M645 lenses on a Mirex adapter allow more shift and tilt than a Canon TS-E lens (15mm vs 11mm, and 10 deg vs 8 deg), and all of this movement is usable on the Mirex, while the Canon vignettes as it approaches its max. movements;

(iii) the cost of a new Mirex adapter ($450 US) plus a Mamiya 45/2.8N lens ($250 US*) is less than the price of a TS-E 45/2.8 ($880 US*);

(iv) the cost of adding another Mamiya M645 lens is generally about $200 US* for f = 55mm to 210mm, or about $375 US* for 35mm, and the cost of adding another TS-E lens is about $900 US*;

(v) for focal lengths from 35mm to 210mm, there are six "affordable" M645 N lenses (35, 45, 55, 80, 150 and 210mm) and there are two Canon TS-E lenses (45 and 90mm) - the cost of a new Mirex adapter and all of these M645 lenses is about $1650 US*, and the cost for a TS-E 45/2.8 and 90/2.8 is about $1825 US*;

(vi) for a focal length of 24mm, you're probably better off getting a Canon TS-E 24/3.5L, as the Mamiya M645 24/4 is a fisheye that costs more than the Canon TS-E 24/3.5L (there is a new Mamiya AF645 28/4.5 rectilinear lens - it costs about $5,700 US new); and,

(vii) the Mirex adapter tilt and shift axes are fixed with respect to each other (e.g. for tilt with lens up or down, shift has to be side to side), while the Canon TS-E lenses can be reconfigured (on the workbench) to align or offset the tilt and shift axes - if you need this ability, then Canon TS-E is probably a better solution.

* all lens prices based on eBay sales for used lenses in near-Mint [M-] condition; shipping, taxes and fees not included.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Great summary, Thanks again. Had heard nice reports on the Mamiya 120mm macro, but the lack of making it into the affordable column is worrisome.

The Mirex gizmo also has a hassleblad flavor front end with a T-mount to the body---easier to use on different systems but the weight/cost of the H front end scares me.
Mike

Nov 29, 2008 at 03:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

I picked up a Mamiya M645 A 120/4 Macro early this month for $300 US on eBay. It's in [E] condition with [M-] glass - beautiful lens, I'll have to spend some time getting to know it soon.

Have you considered getting the M645 to M42 version of the Mirex adapter? With the appropriate adapters, it'll take many medium format brands (I've used Hasselblad and Zeiss Jena Pentacon 6 with mine, in addition to Mamiya M645, of course), and the M42 end will fit on many 35mm format bodies. I chose the M645 to EOS version because that's what I use.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shift/tilt with Mirex at 90 deg?

Oops, Missed your post. Wow , nice acquisition on the Mamiya 120.
I recall there are several flavors of this lens and I don't know enough about them yet.
The tech at Mirex has a rough command of English, but he did not seem to like the
M42 hind end too well when used with another adapter. His concern seemed to be consistent "12 o'clock registration." With a custom adapter I can put all my Zuiko bellow lenses on the front end and perhaps I'll get a Canon to OM adapter on the hind end to get tilt on my OM bodies too. I would have an additional 1.5 mm of extension or so using that rather than M42. I think I still like it better than the Hassey front end despite the convenience of the T-mount.

Dec 09, 2008 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password