Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Blaze of Color

Varina
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blaze of Color

This is Camden Hills State Park in Maine. We weren't expecting any clouds that evening, so we were very happy to see these. I took this shot as the sun touched the horizon. I wanted to capture the light shining through the leaves, the soft color in the sky, and the flare from the sun.

http://www.photographybyvarina.com/photos/maine_2777.jpg

I used a 3 stop GND filter to reduce the dynamic range as much as possible - but it was necessary to use bracketed exposures as well. I knew I would need to combine at least two shots in Photoshop. I also shot with a very small aperture in order to produce the flare you see here.

All comments and critiques are welcome! Thanks very much for looking!

Varina Patel

Oct 14, 2008 at 04:41 PM
pearlstreet
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blaze of Color

To me, this comp isn't up to your usual standards, Varina. It lacks the vibrant composition I usually associate with your work and I don't find any of the content to be particularly interesting. Your pine tree at Bryce Canyon covered in snow is my favorite of any photo I've ever seen on Fred Miranda, so I am a big fan of yours.

Sharon

Oct 14, 2008 at 04:52 PM
Amador
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blaze of Color

I have to agree. This is a beautiful photograph, but you set a pretty high standard. To me it lacks a strong point of interest. With that said, the technical details regarding the exposure and such are fantastic.

Oct 14, 2008 at 05:16 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blaze of Color

It's tough at the top!

Oct 14, 2008 at 05:38 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blaze of Color

It is an outstanding image me.

Thanks for sharing the image and the thought process.

The more I practice at taking pictures the more I realize how important it is to slow down and pay attention to what I am trying to do/accomplish.

Oct 14, 2008 at 05:51 PM
Ashish Aleti
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blaze of Color

Varina,

The photo it self is very vibrant and beautiful. love the way the colorful foliage in the foreground stands apart from the rock formation behind, the red/pink hues on the clouds stand out from the sky and ofcourse the sunrays adds to the composition. I feel a photo should be judged by the way it looks and conveys to the person looking at it, not from what a photographer has achived in the past. just my opinion

Ashish

Oct 14, 2008 at 06:27 PM
Phantom Knight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blaze of Color

Ashish Aleti wrote:
I feel a photo should be judged by the way it looks and conveys to the person looking at it, not from what a photographer has achived in the past. just my opinion

Well said!!

I couldnt agree with you more. Landscape photography relies on number of elements coming together at the right time and at the right place. Each situation is unique and sometimes you get the shot and sometimes you take what you get.

-Phantom Knight

Edited on Oct 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2008 at 07:54 PM
brettgylling

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blaze of Color

If only I could wake up to a scene like this. Great capture.

Oct 14, 2008 at 08:15 PM
night86mare
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blaze of Color

i like the scene, but i'm not quite sure about the way the foreground is composed - it seems a wee bit too messy for me.

Oct 14, 2008 at 09:29 PM
Dblais
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blaze of Color

Beautiful shot, Varina! I am not familiar with your others, but after seeing this I am going to have to take a peek to see what I've been missing. Splendid mood on this - it projects that tipping point of the day when you know there's no getting it back. I love this! Don

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Al B
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blaze of Color

Hi Varina,

This is both a well thought out image and equally engaging. I how you captured the flare of the sun with the smaller aperture and how it compliments the comp. Superb work as usual.

Al B

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blaze of Color

Hey Varina,

Sweet! This is a very good work of art, the elements you captured are very appealing to the eye. And yes, I agree each work is individual, and just because it isn't the same as some past work doesn't mean that it isn't still a great work of art, it's just different.

Very well done!

Jim

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM
pearlstreet
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blaze of Color

I think my comment was misunderstood. I wasn't comparing this picture to Varina's pine tree picture. I hold Varina's work in very high regard. I think it is some of the very best I see on this board and I have looked at thousands and thousands of photographs here.

Sharon

Oct 15, 2008 at 01:08 AM
floris
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blaze of Color

Lovely scene, great combination of all sorts of delicious light and fall colors. I'm always satisfied with myself if I've captured a certain place at a certain time of year the best it can look, and you've done a fine job of that. Some places are inherently more dramatic than others, but that doesn't mean the others aren't beautiful

Oct 15, 2008 at 01:15 AM
Contador

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blaze of Color

Varina:

I like this shot! Itís different in a good way. Iíd love to have it my portfolio.

I wonder if a 4x5 crop would bring the scene to the fore more. I donít know, maybe trim a bit from the sky as well as the foreground to avoid having the horizon in the center.

Either way, it works for me.

Dexter

Oct 15, 2008 at 01:15 AM
lkkang

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blaze of Color

hi Varina,

simply impressive shot here. If I see this picture in a shop, I will buy it, no question about it.

well done,
Kang

Oct 15, 2008 at 01:30 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blaze of Color

I wish I'd shot it!
Simply a beautiful image, Varina.

Barry

Oct 15, 2008 at 04:02 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blaze of Color

I think the photo is beautiful, both the execution as well as the idea. I have no doubt it wasn't easy to make.

As for whether it's up to your usual standard or not - I don't know. I like the photo and all I can say is that it's above most of what's being posted here. If people have the history with you and can make such comments, I think it's appropriate because you can only get better by being compared to yourself and those who are better. And then indeed it can get tough, because you are at the top

Oct 15, 2008 at 04:19 AM
Varina
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blaze of Color

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to comment. This is an interesting discussion. I compare my own images all the time - each must meet my own requirements for an acceptable finished product... but at the same time, each must stand on it's own. If I create an image that sticks in the mind of the viewer long enough for them to remember it almost a year later (I took that Bryce photograph last November), that's an accomplishment in itself. To me, that is the highest compliment.

Of course, I would never expect someone to like every single on of my photographs. If this one doesn't appeal to everyone, that's quite all right. I love the light in this shot - the color in the foreground leaves, and the flare in the sun. Is the composition "up to my usual standards"? Well - I don't know. That's why I post my photos here - for critiques. So thanks - once again - to all of you for giving me your honest opinion.

Varina

Oct 15, 2008 at 05:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blaze of Color

When I looked at this again on my other "better" computer monitor at home (as compared to this work monitor) I thought it was great! It seems to sparkle with many little colors.

Oct 15, 2008 at 05:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password