Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

KEH has a couple of the lens shades for this one [it's part # 12509]

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM
wkhc168
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

This site has a lot of info you need to determine what Type and what version etc... mostly based on the serial number.
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/b.htm

Oct 08, 2008 at 03:35 PM
G-W-N
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Here is the latest version with built in hood and 55mm filter size

Edited on Sep 17, 2009 at 08:30 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2008 at 07:00 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

How about a full frame pic taken with it? Would be nice for comparison to the version 2.

G-W-N wrote:
Here is the latest version with built in hood and 55mm filter size

Oct 08, 2008 at 07:07 PM
G-W-N
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Here is the same lens with the hood up.

Unfortunately the lens has only been used with film and my R8.
I had purchased it along with my 35-70/f4 in the hope of getting a DMR for my R8, never happened, never will. I should get a used 5D to try it out. A shame to have it sitting in my camera safe.

pdmphoto wrote:
How about a full frame pic taken with it? Would be nice for comparison to the version 2.

Edited on Sep 17, 2009 at 08:31 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2008 at 07:22 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

wkhc168 wrote:
This site has a lot of info you need to determine what Type and what version etc... mostly based on the serial number.

This site is one of the better lists but is not entirely accurate because using the filter size alone to determine lens version (as with several listings on Colluci's site) is misleading. Leica offered filter size conversions from Series VII to E55 on the 90mm Elmarit-R and Summicron-R, the 135mm Elmarit-R, and in the case of the 180mm APO-Telyt, from Series 7.5 to E60.

Oct 08, 2008 at 09:23 PM
wkhc168
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Has anyone compared the 35 Elmarit-R with the 35 Summicron-R? I was in the market for a 35mm and a friend recommended the Elmarit but I opted to go with the Summicron simply because I came across a great deal on one. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM
s23chang
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

I have both and I use 5D. The 35 Elmarit-R E55 is "almost perfect" in terms of geometry distortion. Corners are good and low vignette issue. 1 stop disadv but great for landscape.

The current version of Summicron has better 3D effect and sharper in close distance. Corner is distorted and soft though. Good low light lens.

wkhc168 wrote:
Has anyone compared the 35 Elmarit-R with the 35 Summicron-R? I was in the market for a 35mm and a friend recommended the Elmarit but I opted to go with the Summicron simply because I came across a great deal on one. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice.

Oct 17, 2008 at 01:34 PM
dpap1978
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

How does it compare to the ZF 35mm?

Oct 17, 2008 at 02:24 PM
wkhc168
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

s23chang wrote:
The current version of Summicron has better 3D effect and sharper in close distance. Corner is distorted and soft though. Good low light lens.

How about stopping down, does it help the corners?

Oct 18, 2008 at 08:40 PM
s23chang
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Yes. Stop down to F8 on 5D.. : ) it adds no value if I had to do that
It works fine on the 1Dmk3 with 1.3 crop though.

Oct 19, 2008 at 01:26 PM
rfkiii
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

wkhc168 wrote:

Has this website re-surfaced somewhere else? Apparently, AOL pulled the plug on it. I'd Google it but I have no key word (other than Leica) for the search.

Jan 24, 2009 at 04:50 PM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

These images are quite stunning. I own two Canon L zooms for my 5D and would like to get some prime lenses, a 35 and a 50, and these shots are very convincing.

Jan 24, 2009 at 05:12 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

rfkiii wrote:
Has this website re-surfaced somewhere else? Apparently, AOL pulled the plug on it. I'd Google it but I have no key word (other than Leica) for the search.

I beleive that this is the same info:
http://www.antiquecameras.net/leicarlenses.html

Jan 24, 2009 at 05:21 PM
rfkiii
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

CVickery wrote:
I beleive that this is the same info:
http://www.antiquecameras.net/leicarlenses.html

Thanks. This resource doesn't have the Serial number range for the 35 R Elamrit. Dang! Pebble Place seems more complete at least on this lens.

I had a dealer set aside a Leica R 35/2.8 Elmarit until a zero percent card arrives in a few days. The dealer says he believes the lens is the 11231 (1979-1986) version (no model number appears on the lens). This is the version just prior to the 11251 (1986-1996) latest version. From the conversation in this thread, I cannot determine which model number folks are talking about or whether they are talking about different versions of the same model number.

Using the Pebble Place chart (link below), can anyone having great success with the 35 Elmarit verify unequivocally that theirs is the 11231 model?

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html

Jan 27, 2009 at 07:54 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

rfkiii wrote:
I had a dealer set aside a Leica R 35/2.8 Elmarit until a zero percent card arrives in a few days. The dealer says he believes the lens is the 11231 (1979-1986) version (no model number appears on the lens). This is the version just prior to the 11251 (1986-1996) latest version. From the conversation in this thread, I cannot determine which model number folks are talking about or whether they are talking about different versions of the same model number.

Filter size and hood will tell you which model it is. Series VI (shares 12564 hood with first 50 'cron-R) is the first model, Series VII (has pins for locking hood) is 2nd model (David Llado's photo), E55 (built-in sliding hood) is third model (G-W-N's photo).

Jan 27, 2009 at 08:45 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Mike Ganz wrote:
Finally got to the Tetons last week and made a point to use several alt lenses that I took along (Oly 21, Oly 24, Leica 35) in addition to my standard Canon AF zooms. These two pics were taken with the Leica, and the lens is everything that I hoped it would be. Very sharp, excellent edge to edge, etc. Had to toss a few out, however...I didn't have my 49mm WA adapter for the Lee grad holder, so had to hand hold the filters...managed to get some good shots of my fingertips in the process. Still have a
...Show more

Beautiful shots Mike - I love the compositions, with foreground leading the eye into the background, and the colours are delicious. There is a fly in the ointment for me though, which is this: for some reason the pictures seem to entirely lack either microcontrast, or 3D effect, or some quality which makes one feel one is actually there. I feel like I am looking at a pair of beautifully printed posters, rather than the scene itself. It's hard to say why I feel that, but if you look at the edges where the foreground trees in the lower shot stand in front of the background... they don't. There seems to be nothing separating those foreground branches from the background - no edge sharpness, no cut-out. As a result, it looks perfectly 2D, and that quality covers both images, to the extent that I get no sense of depth from the images at all, which for me is a shame, because the depth of the images ought to be central to their composition and presence. I probably haven't explained myself very well, and it may be that a different sharpening approach would fix my gripe. Perhaps it's only me. I hope you don't mind me discussing this subtle, and for many people, irrelevant, shortcoming in what are altogether two beautifully taken images.

Jan 27, 2009 at 02:27 PM
Pedro Pedras
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

I just got myself a Summicron R 35/F2 sn290xxxx. I had a good deal on an Elmarit R but i read some reviews that presented the Summicron as the sharpest of the two and ended up with it. I'm still w8 for it and can't really w8 to get my hands on it and see how sharp it is on my 50D.

Jan 28, 2009 at 09:32 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.