Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              16       17       end

Archive 2008 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Some commentary some may agree and disagree with. Stop reading here if your only thought is we should only be taking pictures, bla bla bla.

Last year, it was Nikon who held their collective breathes when Canon were announcing the 40D and 1dMKIII. Not because they were bad cameras, but they are aware how fickle the market can be with who has what feature. Canon didn't 'blow Nikon away' was the thought.

Stupid grins and smiles all round, especially when the D3 and D300 were announced. And rightly so, it's what the professionals were hoping for. When the D700 was announced in July, it had the Nikon staff buzzing all over again at head offices around the world.

I must admit, I actually wasn't a fan about the D700 coming out so soon. What a strange strategy since it was only 6 months ago the D300/D3 were available. Why rush to get something out so quickly, since surely the correct strategy would have been to wait at least 6 more months.

Maybe. That's assuming you don't know what the opposition is up to. When word and rumour of the imminent D700 had reach Canon, many a rep was thinking 'oh no, not again'.

But this time, it's been Canon to breathe a HUGE sigh of relief when the specs of the D700 were released. In fact, the camera is actually seen as 'old hat'.

When you think about it, it does indeed make sense for Nikon to adopt the strategy they did. My reading of what's happening in the market is that if Nikon had announced the D700 after the 5D replacement, the camera would not have had any momentum.

It appears that the 5D replacement will not split into two lines. I would actually have preferred to see the 5D stay around and just bring in the new camera into the line. The 5D will be gone, and there will be no real price reductions.

It appears (I use this term loosely) the new camera will not be glossed over upgrade like Canon has been done with the 400/450D and 20D/30D/40D. For Canon to almost laugh at the D700 has me asking how revolutionary will it be. Could it just be Canon trying to keep the faith? My instinct says no.

Could it have 18+ MP, 16 bit processing with full weather proofing? Could it have other technology not yet implemented in a dSLR off-the-shelve today?

I think it will, but again that's my guess. The 5D was released and seen by Canon and it's users as a brand new concept and market; and I think it's replacement will do exactly the same. September can't come around fast enough for Canon. They are rubbing their hands with glee!

Nik

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:06 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

nikt wrote:
Some commentary some may agree and disagree with. Stop reading here if your only thought is we should only be taking pictures, bla bla bla.

bla bla bla

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:13 AM
ulrikft
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

I wonder what Breitling65 thinks that he is contributing here?

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:17 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

You should be out taking pictures.

Edited by FretNoMore on Jul 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM GMT

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:20 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:17 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

ulrikft wrote:
I wonder what Breitling65 thinks that he is contributing here?

I wonder why would I contribute to the speculations here? As well as talks about Nikon on Canon forum ...

Edited by Breitling65 on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:22 AM GMT

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:22 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:20 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

FretNoMore wrote:
This thread belongs at dpreview.

100%

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:21 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Really?

That's funny, I posted it over there and they said 'you should go post this over at FredMiranda'.

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:22 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

nikt wrote:
Really?

That's funny, I posted it over there and they said 'you should go post this over at FredMiranda'.

Try POTN ...

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:23 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Try POTN, if they also feel it should be posted elsewhere maybe there's a pattern.

EDIT: OK, I'm too slow today.

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:25 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:24 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

FretNoMore wrote:
Try POTN, if they also feel it should be posted elsewhere maybe there's a pattern.

EDIT: OK, I'm too slow today.

!!!

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:26 AM
ulrikft
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Breitling65 wrote:
I wonder why would I contribute to the speculations here? As well as talks about Nikon on Canon forum ...

Edited by Breitling65 on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:22 AM GMT

Then why are you posting here? What is your motivation for posting here? If you dislike the thread, the best thing to do is to ignore it, now it gets lots of posts... Something tells me that all you whiners (that is the lot of you complaining in this thread) has some kind of superiority complex and have a very distinctive need to put yourself up on your high horse. My advice is: take that horse elsewhere and let this thread die, that is: if you dislike the thread that much..

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:32 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Thanks for moderating my posts, I really dislike childish posts like yours trying to explain something to me more than this post itself.. Just call your friend and talk about toys ...

> Something tells me that all you whiners

That means he don't like someone besides me ...

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:45 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:43 AM
Antonio Tiki
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Weird, I don't see what all the hoopla has been about. Nik has had some very good information in the past, you could do with paying attention.

I for one like talking about these things.... on a gear forum. It's obviously not the same sort of thread that we usually see around here about the 5D.

I like it, so who gives a crap if you guys don't.

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:46 AM
Tentacle
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

In a nutshell, you assume the 5D II will be killer because Nikon didn't rest on its proverbial laurels and pushed out (well, announced) the D700 relatively early.

I dunno. Nikon will have seen how nice the 5D did, at the price range it has been in over its lifespan, and may just have decided to target that niche too. If that's the case, why wait? The D3 definately is a notch above the D700, in terms of features and price, and the D300 definately sits below the D700. So why not? FX a.k.a. full frame is something Nikon will have to push. The lens-base that's for DX is very broad. Making FX more affordable (and taking a page from the proverbial 5D book) is a very well-thought out move.

Your guesswork rests on good reasoning but you still base it on a specific assumption as to why Nikon did its D700 intro early. As I pointed out, that assumption is somewhat shaky.

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 06:48 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:47 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Nik - Ill offer up the first commentary relating to the thread.....

I agree It will be interesting to see the marks of canon's new release in september. I thought the D700 was premature myself and while the DX/FX combination is a nice touch, similiar to D2X bodies, I think the market is still looking for MORE megapixels. I cannot understand why though. 12 seems way too many as it is.

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:48 AM
Antonio Tiki
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Breitling65 wrote:
Thanks for moderating my posts, I really dislike childish posts like yours trying to explain something to me more than this post itself.. Just call your friend and talk about toys ...

Love it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:50 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

This is just more of the old "Nikon vs. Canon".

Jul 22, 2008 at 06:52 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

Tentacle wrote:
In a nutshell, you assume the 5D II will be killer because Nikon didn't rest on its proverbial laurels and pushed out (well, announced) the D700 relatively early.

I dunno. Nikon will have seen how nice the 5D did, at the price range it has been in over its lifespan, and may just have decided to target that niche too. If that's the case, why wait? The D3 definately is a notch above the D700, in terms of features and price, and the D300 definately sits below the D700. So why not? FX a.k.a. full frame is something Nikon will have
...Show more

It's not that I don't like the D700 or it being released. I love it. It just seemed really weird to be announced so quickly. A little more proding was in order.

Of course, you are correct, it's based on assumptions. But my assumption isn't that the 5D II will be a killer because of the D700. It's because what is happening in the industry with the reps and execs. Go to a Canon seminar and it's the things that are being said.

Jul 22, 2008 at 07:01 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

FretNoMore wrote:
This is just more of the old "Nikon vs. Canon".

Where do you get that from? Now you're just showing your ignorance. Did you even read it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 07:03 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D700: Canon breathe sigh of relief.

OK, time for me to eat some humble pie, maybe half a pie or so.

Maybe I got put off by some of the wording, things like "blow away", "old hat" "rubbing their hands with glee", smacks of the old PC vs Mac etc nonsense, and I can't really believe Canon and Nikon in general work on that level. Fanboys do, but that's another matter.

Sorry for being unusually grumpy today.

Edited by FretNoMore on Jul 22, 2008 at 01:37 PM GMT

Edited on Jul 22, 2008 at 07:37 AM

Jul 22, 2008 at 07:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.