1       2       3              5      
       7              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · rev 50 revisited.

ersatz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · rev 50 revisited.

MarcyJillGood wrote:
I have a really dumb question (at least I suspect it's dumb). There are discussions of several sizes of lenses being reversed (the part that normally holds the filter is mounted on the camera, right?). Well - the external optics on lenses are all different sizes, so do you need size-specific reversing rings? And what goes on the part that normally mounts on the camera?

I told you - dumb question. But heck, while I'm at it - here's more . . .

I have two old manual Minolta lenses (boy, I loved that old camera). One is a 45mm prime (I
...Show more

You can use those lenses. First you need to find the filter size and buy the appropriate reverse ring. Let's assume they have 58mm filter size, obviously you buy the 58mm reverse ring. Now suppose you want to use some Canon FD lenses. Well most are 55mm so you would need a 55mm to 58mm step up ring. Now, If you're like me and bought the 52mm reverse ring then you would need to buy a 55mm to 52mm step down ring. I find the step up or down rings are roughly half the cost of the reverse ring adapters but it might not be worth the hassle trying to figure out if you need a step up or step down ring so just buy the reverse rings in various sizes.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM
MarcyJillGood
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · rev 50 revisited.

Thanks, Reno & Erstatz - this is very helpful. I've heard good things about reversing a lens to do macro, but it's seemed a bit intimidating to me, without understanding more about how it works. Gonna get my nerve up . . .

Marcy

Oct 11, 2009 at 01:43 PM
ersatz
• •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · rev 50 revisited.

I got a question about the effects of step up rings. They would act as mini extension tubes so would this increase maginifcation or decrease it, as some properties are inversed with reverse mount. I have several lenses with 49mm filter threads. I have a 58mm EOS reverse ring and will be using a 49-52 and a 52-58mm step up rings to attach the lens. This adds at least 3/8 extension as opposed to getting a 49mm EOS reverse ring. So, I want to know if this added "extension" will increase magnification or decrease. I realize it may only affect magnification slightly but I paid a bit extra for a 20mm lens as opposed to a 24mm so to utilize the magnification I would rahter spend a few bucks more to get the proper EOS reverse ring than use step up filters if they hurt magnification. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2009 at 02:44 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · rev 50 revisited.

ersatz wrote:
I got a question about the effects of step up rings. They would act as mini extension tubes so would this increase maginifcation or decrease it, as some properties are inversed with reverse mount. I have several lenses with 49mm filter threads. I have a 58mm EOS reverse ring and will be using a 49-52 and a 52-58mm step up rings to attach the lens. This adds at least 3/8 extension as opposed to getting a 49mm EOS reverse ring. So, I want to know if this added "extension" will increase magnification or decrease. I realize it may only affect
...Show more

they will increase mag.

Oct 28, 2009 at 08:37 PM
Dpic_arctic
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · rev 50 revisited.

Great set, Tom!

Nov 10, 2009 at 02:04 PM
mactuna
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · rev 50 revisited.

Hi,

New to this so sorry if this was already answered. I've read the whole topic, very intersting.
First my hat to Tom, the detail and effort into this is magnificent. My sincere thanks.

Second, my question: I believe the easiest way to use a rev lens in macro is to have a EF lens attached say a EF 50mm, then adapter ring male to male , then the FD 50mm reversed ?

This way we can choose Aperture in camera and let the FD wide open?
If true...the FD could be an EF ?
I have a 70-210 EF and a 50 1.4 EF. Both 58mm diameter.
With the 70-210 mounted on camera+adapter+50mm rev , this should be quite a easy to use combo? Of course..the minimum mag would be 70mm so DOF can be shallow but the working distance would be bigger than a single 50 rev , correct?

Thank you for your comments,
Cheers

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM
stwphotography
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom,
I have purchased a reversing ring and I should have it today.
Why do you only use the 50mm etc , Why not a 200mm ?
I will post some new shots from the reverse ring.

Nov 24, 2009 at 08:32 AM
grandpajohn

p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · rev 50 revisited.

Very nice!

Dec 10, 2009 at 09:05 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · rev 50 revisited.

stwphotography wrote:
Tom,
I have purchased a reversing ring and I should have it today.
Why do you only use the 50mm etc , Why not a 200mm ?
I will post some new shots from the reverse ring.

you can rev the 200 it just won't have much mag.
A 50 will give you close to 1to1 on a crop cam. 35 close to 2 to 1, 28 almost 3 to 1 .

Dec 13, 2009 at 01:21 PM
ted0149
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks wrote:
A 50 will give you close to 1to1 on a crop cam.......

Hi Tom,

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Wouldn't it be just as close to "1 to 1" on a FF cam?

The way i understand it, the image of a 12mm long bug projected on the sensor (or film) by a macro lens at "1 to 1" (1x) magnification will be 12mm long (life size). Granted, a 12mm long image covers a bigger part of an APS-C (25.1 x 16.7mm) sensor than it does of a full frame (36 x 24mm) sensor, but it's still only 12mm long.

Ted

Dec 14, 2009 at 09:32 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · rev 50 revisited.

if i already own a 60mm macro is there nay benefit to getting the hardware ot reverse my 50/1.8?

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM
chevychic55

p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · rev 50 revisited.

I just got my first DSLR (Canon XSi) for Xmas and was wondering what the least expensive way to take shots like this... well, least expensive way to aquire the equipment to practice taking shots like this

I dont know what "rev lense" means. I was going to get a Canon EF 50mm 1.8; is this a good way to start?

Dec 30, 2009 at 06:59 PM
Ted Sherman
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · rev 50 revisited.

I've got both a 50D and a 1ds2; I just ordered two rev mounts for the 50D (one for a 49mm lens and the other for a 52mm). I'd also like to be able to use the two manual lenses (a 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 1.8) on my 1ds2--does anyone know of what kind of adapter (not reverse, but as regular lenses) I would need for them to mount on the ds2? They are Pentax K mount (I believe; they've got the three threads/bayonets that screw on). I read about one K to EF mount that it won't work because the aperature pin will hit the mirror.

Jan 08, 2010 at 09:57 AM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · rev 50 revisited.

Ted Sherman wrote:
I've got both a 50D and a 1ds2; I just ordered two rev mounts for the 50D (one for a 49mm lens and the other for a 52mm). I'd also like to be able to use the two manual lenses (a 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 1.8) on my 1ds2--does anyone know of what kind of adapter (not reverse, but as regular lenses) I would need for them to mount on the ds2? They are Pentax K mount (I believe; they've got the three threads/bayonets that screw on). I read about one K to EF mount that it won't
...Show more

Ted I use the PK to EOS on my crop cameras , but not sure on the big gun I know that the 5D's usually have to have the mirror shaved for a lot of the alternate lens's used.
Might make a post in the Alternate gear forum.

Jan 08, 2010 at 12:08 PM
Ted Sherman
• •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · rev 50 revisited.

Thanks, Tom. I will.

I tried the trick of just holding the lens (a Sigma manual 28mm) up to the body last night (a 50D) and took a few shots. Fabulous! Thanks for the tip.

Jan 08, 2010 at 02:29 PM
sky1174

p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · rev 50 revisited.

I have 2 Question :
1. Which is better Rev.Lens or CloseUp Filter ?
2. Can I use Rev Lens other than 50-55mm ? such as 100mm/135mm ?

Thanks

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM
bwhealon

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · rev 50 revisited.

Recently started getting into aquascaping so of course I have photographed some of my tiny creatures.

This is one of my Harlequin Rasboras.

And here are some shrimpies as well.

These pond snails are reproducing like crazy.

Taken with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 as Reverse Macro at f/8. You can hold the depth of field preview button at higher f/stops to stop down the lens aperture electronically while simultaneously removing the lens. The aperture stays small and depth of field is much improved. Neat trick and cheap macro. The only way to focus is by moving your body closer or farther away from the subject. It is just about right for smaller flowers or detail shots.

-Peace

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM
bwhealon

p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · rev 50 revisited.

sky1174,

1. Which is better Rev.Lens or CloseUp Filter ?

If you are a photo enthusist you might want to start with Close up filters. Macro photography and working with very small depth of field is hard enough to learn without putting your equipment at risk.

a. The great advantage to close up filters is your camera stays sealed and you can still focus to some degree with your lens. You dont have to get down and dirty to get perfect focus you can resume normal photo taking.

b. Reverse lens combinations ( even older FD optics or third party lenses ) can provide very crisp images when used correctly. I would say they have a much higher learning curve than using Close up filters and might make someone more frustrated at having to move your tripod or body to the exact perfect spot to yield the photo you wanted while not spooking the subject. I prefer using this technique indoors in a non windy environment. Great for Ring Photos or animals alike

With my particular camera lens combination there is ONE spot that is in focus 6 inches from the lens. You would need to move your body to the perfect spot where the lens is 6 inches from your subject where with close up filters you could be a few feet away in some cases and still be able to focus. With the very powerful filters you would only be able to focus in a few inches space.

Close up filters allow you add diopter filters to the front of your lens to change the minimum focusing distance and increasing magnification. The quality of the filters you put in front of your lens always effects the photos you produce. Poor quality filters often introduce halo's, flare, loss of sharpness and contrast, among other aberrations. Good quality filters will make the above less noticeable.

2. Can I use Rev Lens other than 50-55mm ? such as 100mm/135mm ?

There are only a few lens types that work well to gather usable light in reverse. Lenses from 28-75 mm will work best. Outside of that range the quality and sharpness just arent there or the focal length of the reversed lens is almost inside your lens. Not very helpful

28 will feel tighter and 75 will feel wider I believe. 50mm works dandy for me.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2010 at 03:11 PM
xjetjock
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · rev 50 revisited.

After going through this topic, I dug out Dad's old Minolta SLR equipment and tried a few test shots with his 58 mm and 35 mm Rokkor lenses reversed on a 1Ds II. I just held them in position by hand for the test. They worked great, especially the 35 mm. I ordered the EOS adapter and step up rings today. Pretty cool and cheap too! Now I need to learn more about stacked focusing. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2010 at 08:11 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · rev 50 revisited.

And this does NOT hurt either the cam, nor the lens I hope.
Seems many are doing this, I'm just somewhat hesitant to try this on my new 5DMkII.
Good thing I did not sell the $0D, I will try it on that first...

Tom Harpstead wrote:
George,

You mount the lens in normal fashion and set the aperture, depress the DOF button and while the aperture is stopped down take off the lens. The aperture will stay stopped down and you will be able to reverse mount it.

Thomas

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.