Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

rev 50 revisited.

minnend

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · rev 50 revisited.

These are very impressive macro photos! I've played around with reversed lenses (50mm and 28mm direct to the body with a BR-2A), but I rarely have success with live subjects. I did get some decent shots of a small spider once, but typically the various insects (or arachnids) scurry away well before I can get them in focus. Am I too slow? What's your technique for getting so close without scaring them away?

Feb 02, 2009 at 08:40 AM
tom1949

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · rev 50 revisited.

Inspired by this thread I got a FD 50mm lens and reversing ring from Ebay just yesterday and I'm wondering if there is any way to operate the f stop control without cutting up the canon rear cover that came with the lens?

Feb 03, 2009 at 08:51 PM
DubiousDrewski
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · rev 50 revisited.

What's really making these images pop is the rich lighting and colours (as well as the excellent sharpness). My question is this: how the heck are you getting such beautiful light? Do you set up coloured cards around your subjects to inject colour into the scene? What is your light source? You can't just be using the popup flash and natural light for these, can you?

To get the depth of field in some of these, you'd need an insane aperture - f16 or higher? (I'm at work, so I can't see exif data) So you have GOT to need a light. I just don't get how you're lighting these excellent images.

Mar 05, 2009 at 02:01 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom,

Cutting a hole in the rear cap is the easiest solution. It also serves as a small hood that protects the rear element.

Thomas

tom1949 wrote:
Inspired by this thread I got a FD 50mm lens and reversing ring from Ebay just yesterday and I'm wondering if there is any way to operate the f stop control without cutting up the canon rear cover that came with the lens?

Mar 05, 2009 at 04:00 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · rev 50 revisited.

Dubious Drewsk wrote:
What's really making these images pop is the rich lighting and colours (as well as the excellent sharpness). My question is this: how the heck are you getting such beautiful light? Do you set up coloured cards around your subjects to inject colour into the scene? What is your light source? You can't just be using the popup flash and natural light for these, can you?

To get the depth of field in some of these, you'd need an insane aperture - f16 or higher? (I'm at work, so I can't see exif data) So you have GOT to need
...Show more

D, only 3 of the shots have flash best I can remember ,it may only be two , because the others were taken outside and with the 50 or 28mm I don't use flash that much with my rev lens . If so it's with the 50 only . And when I do it's with the pop up . I don't own a ring or twin light system .

Mar 05, 2009 at 07:05 PM
Matt K

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · rev 50 revisited.

Does the manual focus still work in reverse, or do you focus only through changing the distance to the subject?

Mar 09, 2009 at 03:44 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · rev 50 revisited.

Matt K wrote:
Does the manual focus still work in reverse, or do you focus only through changing the distance to the subject?

Only through changing the dist to sub.

Mar 10, 2009 at 03:31 AM
anotherview
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks: Strange beauty in the small, revealed via photography.

Mar 12, 2009 at 06:07 AM
brad_s
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · rev 50 revisited.

Thanks Tom!

I just got my reversing rings and coupler rings from Fotodiox (sold through Amazon). Got my rings: reverse 50mm to a canon body, 58mm coupler, and 58mm step up (for more reversing options).

I tried a coulpe of shots last night and it's not easy - especially when I reverse my 50mm in front of my 100mm macro. This is not as easy as using my 100mm macro! Even the 50 reverse direct to the body wasn't easy either.

Mar 25, 2009 at 05:55 PM
chuson

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · rev 50 revisited.

I'm planning to try some macro shot w/ the reverse method. I'm using a Nikon D80, and I got 2 lens, 50mm f1.8D and 18-105mm VR. Which will be a better lens for reverse macro?

What size of reverse ring should I get for the 50mm f1.8D, I measured the front and I believe it's 52mm, is it right?

I saw 2 types of ring on e-bay, which one do you have?

Single lens?

Double lens?

Mar 31, 2009 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · rev 50 revisited.

chuson wrote:
I'm planning to try some macro shot w/ the reverse method. I'm using a Nikon D80, and I got 2 lens, 50mm f1.8D and 18-105mm VR. Which will be a better lens for reverse macro?

What size of reverse ring should I get for the 50mm f1.8D, I measured the front and I believe it's 52mm, is it right?

I saw 2 types of ring on e-bay, which one do you have?

Single lens?

Double lens?

The 50 will be the best for around 1to1 ( Life size) and the first ring listed would be the one for directly mounting it in rev to the camera , the other is to put that same lens on the front of another lens .

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:28 AM
dancam
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · rev 50 revisited.

Great macro work, I still think it's amazing what can be done with a reversed lens.

Apr 02, 2009 at 10:26 AM
chuson

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks wrote:
[
The 50 will be the best for around 1to1 ( Life size) and the first ring listed would be the one for directly mounting it in rev to the camera , the other is to put that same lens on the front of another lens .

Thanks Tom.

I tried to handheld the 50mm f1.8d and the 18-105mm VR today for a couple of macro shots (or I mean alot because it never seems perfect), it's fun, amazing. However, the picture doesn't come out as sharp as I thought (using MF). The aperture was disable w/out the lens mount on the camera, so I just turn it manually (both aperture & focus) on the lens to make it as clear/sharp as possible. The lighting always seems dim or over-exposed. I think if I have those reverse lens mount, the result should be a bit better.

Apr 03, 2009 at 02:18 AM
T Bangerter
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · rev 50 revisited.

So i just started trying the reverse mount with a nifty 50 on my 1d mk II. I was wondering how the crap do you get so close to the insects with out them running away?

Thanks,
Torsten

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom, thank you very much for a great article.

In regard to 50mm rev, I have a small question.
Obviously, many people are using focusing screens with MF lenses (all us without liveview).
As far as I understand, going over f8 can present quite a challenge.
So, keeping all that in mind, would installing a focusing screen present a disadvantage? And if shooting without a focusing screen, is it difficult to focus correctly?

Kind Regards

May 05, 2009 at 09:15 AM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · rev 50 revisited.

Krosavcheg wrote:
Tom, thank you very much for a great article.

In regard to 50mm rev, I have a small question.
Obviously, many people are using focusing screens with MF lenses (all us without liveview).
As far as I understand, going over f8 can present quite a challenge.
So, keeping all that in mind, would installing a focusing screen present a disadvantage? And if shooting without a focusing screen, is it difficult to focus correctly?

Kind Regards

A split screen would help , but most of us use what was furnished with the camera. depending on the lens used for rev. some are easier to use than others for example . the older Takumar lens that have the Auto and manual switch for the aperture blades are nice because you can set the f stop say at f 11 in the auto mode. By doing this the lens aperture is still in it's most open position , so you have lots of light to focus , then when ready to shoot push it to manual the aperture closes down and take the shot . you can also just push the little pin that controls the aperture blades as well .

Hope this helps.

May 07, 2009 at 03:14 AM
jstephen01

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom,how was the minimum focusing distance with the 50mm 1.8?is that the best option for reversing lens or we can also get other lenses that can go more nearer than with the 50mm?

May 08, 2009 at 09:17 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · rev 50 revisited.

jstephen01 wrote:
Tom,how was the minimum focusing distance with the 50mm 1.8?is that the best option for reversing lens or we can also get other lenses that can go more nearer than with the 50mm?

If you haven't looked at this it might help, different 50 will give you a wide variance in magnification, but one is really no better than any other .working distance is going to be average 3 to 4 inches. a 28 mm will be 1.5 inches or less.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/619903/0?keyword=rev,lens,s#5473004

May 09, 2009 at 01:15 AM
jstephen01

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks wrote:
If you haven't looked at this it might help, different 50 will give you a wide variance in magnification, but one is really no better than any other .working distance is going to be average 3 to 4 inches. a 28 mm will be 1.5 inches or less.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/619903/0?keyword=rev,lens,s#5473004

i see.im thinking of buying the 50mm 1.8 nikkor .maybe that will do already.also,is there a way to at least increase the minimum focusing distance?instead of only 3/4 inches it can focus as far as 8inches?also,can we still control the focus points with the reverse lens?sorry im really a noob on this,and dont want to regret it when i bought one so i wanna be sure enough.

May 09, 2009 at 04:13 AM
lsman

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · rev 50 revisited.

I got one of the adapter ring from ebay
link

It mount on my 40D without problem. But the other end (52mm) no where can be fitted with my 50mm f/1.8 II (which stated 52mm filter)

Any trick?

May 18, 2009 at 04:54 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password