Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

rev 50 revisited.

zjchaser

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · rev 50 revisited.

I do have to say I was inspired by this thread and always interested in macro. I bought an FD 50mm 1.8 and reverse ring on ebay for cheap. They both arrived today. I just got home and took a quick couple snaps. This could be a new expensive addiction....the rev 50 might be the gateway drug.

first couple shots just testing it out...excuse the ISO 800 grain.

Nov 22, 2008 at 02:28 AM
abam
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · rev 50 revisited.

the two flies getting it on are probably my favorite pics. well done.

Nov 23, 2008 at 05:55 PM
Bunno

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · rev 50 revisited.

I tried this trick also with 2 50mm's, one on the body(the Canon 50mm 1.8) and an old 50mm 1.8 Pentacon taped reversed on the other lens. (because I don't have an adaptor)

It is the wire of an Halogen lamp

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Grenache
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · rev 50 revisited.

I love the color combination in the second image and the similar rainbow in the spider image near the last in the series. While the detail in all of your shots is excellent, the color really adds something compared to the white backdrop/high key look.

First image of the flies "getting down to business" would sell like hot cakes for stock.

Jim

Dec 22, 2008 at 02:18 AM
Matt_3D
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · rev 50 revisited.

Great shots. I realised the other day that my reversing adapter fit onto the end of my Sigma 105 macro...super close ups, but I don't think any bug is going to stay still with a lens 5cms from it's face!

Jan 22, 2009 at 01:08 AM
scubacrazy
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · rev 50 revisited.

I have a Nikon system, and use a 105 micro, sometimes with a Canon 40D on the front of it. I have bought an old Nikon 50mm prime man focus lens, and a reverse/coupling ring to mount it on the front of the 105. I am currently practicing with this setup.
My main question is this: I have ordered a 52mm reversing ring to Nikon bayonet mount to enable me to reverse directly onto the camera body, but how does this work? I have also ordered a set of tubes.
What I mean is aperture, metering etc? I understand that to focus I move the camera, but what about exposure mode? I dont have a problem with manual, as most of my photography is underwater, with twin strobes, all on manual. I normally use an SB-800 with a newly made difuser for topside stuff.

Jan 31, 2009 at 02:01 PM
bobcan

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · rev 50 revisited.

You Betcha!! Grrreat Stuff for sure... as always, you can tell a Craftsman by how well he uses his tools for sure!!

Feb 02, 2009 at 06:04 AM
minnend

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · rev 50 revisited.

These are very impressive macro photos! I've played around with reversed lenses (50mm and 28mm direct to the body with a BR-2A), but I rarely have success with live subjects. I did get some decent shots of a small spider once, but typically the various insects (or arachnids) scurry away well before I can get them in focus. Am I too slow? What's your technique for getting so close without scaring them away?

Feb 02, 2009 at 08:40 AM
tom1949

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · rev 50 revisited.

Inspired by this thread I got a FD 50mm lens and reversing ring from Ebay just yesterday and I'm wondering if there is any way to operate the f stop control without cutting up the canon rear cover that came with the lens?

Feb 03, 2009 at 08:51 PM
DubiousDrewski
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · rev 50 revisited.

What's really making these images pop is the rich lighting and colours (as well as the excellent sharpness). My question is this: how the heck are you getting such beautiful light? Do you set up coloured cards around your subjects to inject colour into the scene? What is your light source? You can't just be using the popup flash and natural light for these, can you?

To get the depth of field in some of these, you'd need an insane aperture - f16 or higher? (I'm at work, so I can't see exif data) So you have GOT to need a light. I just don't get how you're lighting these excellent images.

Mar 05, 2009 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom,

Cutting a hole in the rear cap is the easiest solution. It also serves as a small hood that protects the rear element.

Thomas

tom1949 wrote:
Inspired by this thread I got a FD 50mm lens and reversing ring from Ebay just yesterday and I'm wondering if there is any way to operate the f stop control without cutting up the canon rear cover that came with the lens?

Mar 05, 2009 at 04:00 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · rev 50 revisited.

Dubious Drewsk wrote:
What's really making these images pop is the rich lighting and colours (as well as the excellent sharpness). My question is this: how the heck are you getting such beautiful light? Do you set up coloured cards around your subjects to inject colour into the scene? What is your light source? You can't just be using the popup flash and natural light for these, can you?

To get the depth of field in some of these, you'd need an insane aperture - f16 or higher? (I'm at work, so I can't see exif data) So you have GOT to need
...Show more

D, only 3 of the shots have flash best I can remember ,it may only be two , because the others were taken outside and with the 50 or 28mm I don't use flash that much with my rev lens . If so it's with the 50 only . And when I do it's with the pop up . I don't own a ring or twin light system .

Mar 05, 2009 at 07:05 PM
Matt K

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · rev 50 revisited.

Does the manual focus still work in reverse, or do you focus only through changing the distance to the subject?

Mar 09, 2009 at 03:44 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · rev 50 revisited.

Matt K wrote:
Does the manual focus still work in reverse, or do you focus only through changing the distance to the subject?

Only through changing the dist to sub.

Mar 10, 2009 at 03:31 AM
anotherview
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks: Strange beauty in the small, revealed via photography.

Mar 12, 2009 at 06:07 AM
brad_s
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · rev 50 revisited.

Thanks Tom!

I just got my reversing rings and coupler rings from Fotodiox (sold through Amazon). Got my rings: reverse 50mm to a canon body, 58mm coupler, and 58mm step up (for more reversing options).

I tried a coulpe of shots last night and it's not easy - especially when I reverse my 50mm in front of my 100mm macro. This is not as easy as using my 100mm macro! Even the 50 reverse direct to the body wasn't easy either.

Mar 25, 2009 at 05:55 PM
chuson

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · rev 50 revisited.

I'm planning to try some macro shot w/ the reverse method. I'm using a Nikon D80, and I got 2 lens, 50mm f1.8D and 18-105mm VR. Which will be a better lens for reverse macro?

What size of reverse ring should I get for the 50mm f1.8D, I measured the front and I believe it's 52mm, is it right?

I saw 2 types of ring on e-bay, which one do you have?

Single lens?

Double lens?

Mar 31, 2009 at 08:30 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · rev 50 revisited.

chuson wrote:
I'm planning to try some macro shot w/ the reverse method. I'm using a Nikon D80, and I got 2 lens, 50mm f1.8D and 18-105mm VR. Which will be a better lens for reverse macro?

What size of reverse ring should I get for the 50mm f1.8D, I measured the front and I believe it's 52mm, is it right?

I saw 2 types of ring on e-bay, which one do you have?

Single lens?

Double lens?

The 50 will be the best for around 1to1 ( Life size) and the first ring listed would be the one for directly mounting it in rev to the camera , the other is to put that same lens on the front of another lens .

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:28 AM
dancam
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · rev 50 revisited.

Great macro work, I still think it's amazing what can be done with a reversed lens.

Apr 02, 2009 at 10:26 AM
chuson

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · rev 50 revisited.

Tom Hicks wrote:
[
The 50 will be the best for around 1to1 ( Life size) and the first ring listed would be the one for directly mounting it in rev to the camera , the other is to put that same lens on the front of another lens .

Thanks Tom.

I tried to handheld the 50mm f1.8d and the 18-105mm VR today for a couple of macro shots (or I mean alot because it never seems perfect), it's fun, amazing. However, the picture doesn't come out as sharp as I thought (using MF). The aperture was disable w/out the lens mount on the camera, so I just turn it manually (both aperture & focus) on the lens to make it as clear/sharp as possible. The lighting always seems dim or over-exposed. I think if I have those reverse lens mount, the result should be a bit better.

Apr 03, 2009 at 02:18 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password