New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2008 · Coolpix

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Coolpix

We aren't going to get away from the megapixels no matter how loud we scream. Interestingly, it will use the same chip as is in the Sony W300. That sony is the first Sony in a long time that I've actually liked. They did have some fantastic cameras 3 - 4 years ago.

The W300 takes a rather nice photo which goes against everything we think of with small chip cameras. I will always wish this new Nikon P6000 had the 'old' Fuji F31 chip.

Jul 02, 2008 at 12:59 AM
Mayank B
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Coolpix

Talking of 13.5mp RAW files, I have a G9 whose 12mp RAW files come pretty close in size. I have been opening them on ACR at (the downsized) 7mp setting and therefore noise is 'acceptable'. But I agree 6 or 7 'native' mp would be ideal for a 1/1.7 sensor.

Jul 02, 2008 at 02:21 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Coolpix

i duno about the hi mp v's noise argument, meaning they are taking a different approach. i think from looking at images that with the higher pixel density they can give shadow areas more detail and give and image that appeares to have less noise. that sony p&s with the same chip has some very positive feedback.

Jul 02, 2008 at 04:40 AM
DaveEP
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Coolpix

HerbChong wrote:
having RAW is a start. i won't use a P&S without RAW and that is why after it became time to replace the Coolpix 8400, i ended up getting a Leica D Lux 3.
Herb....

Had one..... talk about noise on the D Lux 3 !!!! I sold it.

Jul 02, 2008 at 06:01 AM
chemprof
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Coolpix

I'm sure noise is fine at ISO 50 on the pinky nail size sensors (mostly, anyway). You still can't beat the laws of physics, though. Tiny photosites capture fewer photons in the same amount of time. Even the DSLRs can't get past that. That's why Nikon has hardware noise reduction that can't be turned off on the newest cameras (including D300 which I own and actually like very much).

Gerald

Jul 02, 2008 at 06:22 AM
BenjaminL
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Coolpix

I want one. Just dumped my G7 now I have the space and wallet for this one.

What I like so far, classic ranger-finder styling. solid construction, on par with P5x00, nice grip, can use SB-400, 28mm wide angle. relatively bigger sensor 1/1.7" vs 1/2".

What I hope will be true, better AF than P5x00 (holding for breath), same battery as D40 (not holding my breath).

What don't care too much, RAW, 14mp. 6mp JPEG for a nice P&S is enough for me.

Edited on Jul 02, 2008 at 06:39 AM

Jul 02, 2008 at 06:38 AM
sarlo100

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Coolpix

Ugh! 13.5MP and does that look like f/5.9 at telephoto stamped on the lens?!? Why can't Nikon get this right. The P5xxx series as a concept is so good, but the execution is so bad. A good friend has a P5000, and I loved it....until I had to actually use it in any kind of demanding situation. It handles so much better than the G7/9, and the SB-400 flash is so very convenient.

Nikon...kindly divert just a tiny fraction of your R&D away from the SLRs, and please get just this one camera right. Please? I'd switch if you did it.

Jul 02, 2008 at 12:52 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Coolpix

Sod the SB400, put the SB900 on it!

Jul 02, 2008 at 01:05 PM
fkhfineart
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Coolpix

start time is why we use D40 as P&S camera. image quality would be ok though for many things and web.

Jul 02, 2008 at 02:18 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Coolpix

Looks like a cool camera. Pity about the MPs, but I suppose Nikon has limited choice: they have to buy the sensor that is available in the market.

Jul 02, 2008 at 10:31 PM
jpmccormac

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Coolpix

Prediction: Canon's response will be a "G10" that will use the new large CMOS sensor that will start production this month in Canon's factory in Kanagawa Prefecture near Tokyo. They aren't investing $450M US for nothing. Time will tell...

Jul 03, 2008 at 11:53 AM
Gordon Buck

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Coolpix

jpmccormac wrote:
Prediction: Canon's response will be a "G10" that will use the new large CMOS sensor that will start production this month in Canon's factory in Kanagawa Prefecture near Tokyo. They aren't investing $450M US for nothing. Time will tell...

Have there been any recent news releases about that Canon CMOS factory? I don't recall seeing any information other than the news release from last year. No updates as far as I know.

With the Canon CMOS factory planned to startup in July and a G10 expected this fall, I doubt -- but hope -- that the G10 will have a CMOS sensor. Maybe G11?

Jul 03, 2008 at 12:55 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Coolpix

If this does use the same sensor as the Sony W300, but allows us to shoot RAW (unlike the sony) Image quality should be very high. There's a preview/review of the W300 on Luminous Landscape that looks very good for a PS.

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/shirt-pocket.shtml

Jul 03, 2008 at 01:24 PM
mrimpossible
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Coolpix

Jammy Straub wrote:
If this does use the same sensor as the Sony W300, but allows us to shoot RAW (unlike the sony) Image quality should be very high. There's a preview/review of the W300 on Luminous Landscape that looks very good for a PS.
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/shirt-pocket.shtml

OK that got my attention
This looks like it might have potential...

Edited on Jul 03, 2008 at 04:14 PM

Jul 03, 2008 at 04:14 PM
erickb
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Coolpix

looks perfect but too many pixels !

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.