1       2      
       4              13       14       end

Archive 2008 · Nikon D700 ...

kipkeston
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D700 ...

chemprof wrote:
It DOES seem that this possible new product would be designed to complement an existing D300 body. This seems logical.

Gerald

How is that logical? It sounds like a complete replacement

Jun 18, 2008 at 05:11 AM
Rubber Soul
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D700 ...

Would it be safe to assume this D700 will be primarily a studio camera, with a slow shooting burst (ie 3.5 fps)? Because if it inherits the D300's 6.0 fps burst, this camera would seriously cannibalize the Nikon D3 sales.

Jun 18, 2008 at 05:11 AM
chemprof
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D700 ...

Rubber Soul wrote:
Would it be safe to assume this D700 will be primarily a studio camera, with a slow shooting burst (ie 3.5 fps)? Because if it inherits the D300's 6.0 fps burst, this camera would seriously cannibalize the Nikon D3 sales.

I think all bets are off until any announcement is made. Data to be processed would be pretty much the same as on the D300, so anything slower would be an artificial limitation.

Gerald

Jun 18, 2008 at 05:16 AM
kipkeston
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D700 ...

Actually, I was just thinking about it, it sounds like a D3 replacement.

Jun 18, 2008 at 05:44 AM
chemprof
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D700 ...

kipkeston wrote:
Actually, I was just thinking about it, it sounds like a D3 replacement.

Not for those who insist on a "pro body". (In other words those that insist on carrying a 3 lb camera rather than a 2lb one)

Gerald

Jun 18, 2008 at 05:46 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D700 ...

Hope this pans out; a D300 with FF sensor would be awesome. Can't beleive it would come out for photokina though.

Those lenses were announced ages ago and the 24 is already out.

Jun 18, 2008 at 06:00 AM
alba63
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon D700 ...

Slug69 wrote:
I would say that the printer has just lost his job. Nikon will make sure they never deal with that publisher.
(...) It looks like the real deal to me.

Thats true by the "old standards", but even Nikon must have learned by now that nothing gives better publicity, excitement and attention as an apparently "accidental", or even better then that: "illegal leak".

Within 3 hours, the news spreads around the entire globe, finding it's way in to the forums etc. No company could pay this type of publicity :-) So to the attention of the actual official announcment, the company gets - for free - 1-2 weeks of excitement, attention and guessing.

Think clever, think leak....

Jun 18, 2008 at 06:06 AM
veeral
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon D700 ...

I had quick look through USPTO couldn't find Nikon registering D700 as a trademark unless I didnt look close enough. One would assume that a trademark would be filed first before making all the marketing materials.

Jun 18, 2008 at 06:15 AM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon D700 ...

HA!!! D3X my @ss ...

My Flickr Gallery
My Nikonians gallery
View my DNA

Edited on Jun 18, 2008 at 06:22 AM

Jun 18, 2008 at 06:22 AM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon D700 ...

alba63 wrote:

You know, you should put a patent on this one as well ...you never know who'd buy it...

My Flickr Gallery
My Nikonians gallery
View my DNA

Edited on Jun 18, 2008 at 06:25 AM

Jun 18, 2008 at 06:24 AM
linathael
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon D700 ...

alba63 wrote:
Thats true by the "old standards", but even Nikon must have learned by now that nothing gives better publicity, excitement and attention as an apparently "accidental", or even better then that: "illegal leak".

Within 3 hours, the news spreads around the entire globe, finding it's way in to the forums etc. No company could pay this type of publicity :-) So to the attention of the actual official announcment, the company gets - for free - 1-2 weeks of excitement, attention and guessing.

the company with the best experience in such tricks is probably Apple

I would still be surprised to see the D700 and no D90, as it would imply that Nikon decided that he successor of the current D80 would then be , either the D60, or the D300... or no successor at all.

I might go for a D300 at the end to replace my D70 as the price for this gem might drop significantly with the release of the D700.

I think I have been waiting long enough to replace my good old D70, so Nikon hurry up, my credit card is getting warm

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:08 AM
linathael
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon D700 ...

veeral wrote:
I had quick look through USPTO couldn't find Nikon registering D700 as a trademark unless I didnt look close enough. One would assume that a trademark would be filed first before making all the marketing materials.

one has to consider that there might be a 6-12 months delay between the filing date and the date where you are granted for the usage of a trademark. In addition the product is not officially launched!!

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:10 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon D700 ...

veeral wrote:

The model number is not usually trademarked. This is why you can have a Nikon and a Canon D60 for example.

I have a totally off-topic observation. We've seen dozens of these rumors come and go. They are always met with skepticism and suspicion of fabrication. This one seems credible (to me too) because it was printed on paper. Even in this new age of information delivery where paper is all but eliminated, we still trust it above any electronic format. Food for thought.

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:26 AM
apbianco
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon D700 ...

The pictures of the Cub Cadet i 1046 are obviously doctored -- it's a fake. A hoax. I can't believe you guys are falling for it.

... What!?!

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:30 AM
Chris Langer
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon D700 ...

Elan II wrote:
The model number is not usually trademarked. This is why you can have a Nikon and a Canon D60 for example.

I have a totally off-topic observation. We've seen dozens of these rumors come and go. They are always met with skepticism and suspicion of fabrication. This one seems credible (to me too) because it was printed on paper. Even in this new age of information delivery where paper is all but eliminated, we still trust it above any electronic format. Food for thought.

Good point Elan. I believe the same thing happened with the D300 and D3 before it was released back. I think there was printed materials and a couple of days later it came out.

Chris

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:48 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon D700 ...

apbianco wrote:
The pictures of the Cub Cadet i 1046 are obviously doctored -- it's a fake. A hoax. I can't believe you guys are falling for it.

... What!?!

seriously, a YELLOW lawn mower? you guys are getting gullable!

Jun 18, 2008 at 07:52 AM
guiri
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon D700 ...

danjacquitaylo wrote:
Great. I may have to return or trade my newly purchased Cub Cadet i 1046 and let the grass/weed grow 10 feet high. Instead of mowing it down I'll just shoot some pictures of the tall grass/weed.

Edited by danjacquitaylo on Jun 17, 2008 at 02:20 PM GMT

Yep and when you shoot the pics of the tall grass, you can make it shorter so much faster in Photoshop anyway and hell, you can plant some trees while you're at it

Jun 18, 2008 at 08:18 AM
MagicNikon
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon D700 ...

Best.News.Ever.*

*at least today.

Jun 18, 2008 at 08:21 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon D700 ...

kipkeston wrote:
How is that logical? It sounds like a complete replacement

A complete replacement to the D300? Why would that be?

First off, it's going to be in an entirely different price range.

Secondly, considering how quickly this release is coming, I'm going to speculate that it'll be using the D3 sensor, or a very similar one. That means pixel density is still going to skew heavily in favor of the D300. Wildlife photographers won't switch unless they shoot in low light a lot (and the low light is an overriding concern vs. effective reach).

Thirdly, I virtually guarantee there will be a carefully selected spec to allow the D300 to still thrive. It's too new and too popular for Nikon to supplant it entirely.

Edited on Jun 18, 2008 at 08:25 AM

Jun 18, 2008 at 08:25 AM
poisonpill
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon D700 ...

Also how many people out there can swing $2500-$3000 on a new camera? This isn't chump change anymore. At least not for me.

Jun 18, 2008 at 08:32 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.