Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2004 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

edtang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

I believe so, since the 1D does not support FAT32.

Jan 15, 2004 at 02:31 AM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

I love the Rob Galbraith site and I have a lot of respect for him,. but the conclusions he draws from the test of CF cards on the 10D I do not agree with.

His tests illustrate quite clearly that the 10D is terrinble at taking any advantage available from a high speed card. The 10D simply is dog slow,. and the faster the card you put in the more money and speed that is wasted in my opinion. And yet he concludes that it is prudent to get the fastest cards you can for the 10D.

Compare the 10D's use of card speed to the 1D or the D2H and see how much of that speed is being wasted in the 10D.

Do your own side by side test,. and do the only test that means a thing,. Shoot 9 Raw images in three seconds, and time how long it takes for the buffer to clear.

Bottom line,. EVERY card is slow in a 10D as it CAN not write from the buffer to the card any faster than a standard card's speed. The faster the card you use on the 10D the more cash you are wasting.

Edited by CyberDyne on Jan 16, 2004 at 01:30 AM GMT

Jan 15, 2004 at 05:31 AM
kelvinz
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

nice!

Jan 15, 2004 at 07:32 AM
bdavieb

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

Hey Ray - well done - you say microdrive ?? - I have a 2gig CF Card for my 10D - Whats the difference??

Jan 15, 2004 at 09:53 AM
xichlo
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

If you buy 4G Creative, Buy it NOW because in the future, Hitachi may remove the CF card slide mount in the Creative Muvo2, If it happens, 4GB microdrive couldn't fit in your camera. Don't wait any longer for price drop. If you can wait, the really 4GB at B&H also will drop too. It's electronic and it will drop in price.
Regards,
XichLo
www.xichlo.com

Jan 15, 2004 at 03:53 PM
Ken Dunham

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

CyberDyne: Rob describes his test methodology here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Jan 15, 2004 at 05:45 PM
JackCnd
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

This sounds very tempting, can anyone who has done it comment on actual use of the camera with the 4GB mircodrive.

How is battery life, write speed delay, etc?

If you like RAW, 4GB would be perfect.

Jan 15, 2004 at 05:45 PM
Kostia
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

Dear Bob, (Hornbill)
In Europe, we can have MuVo2 with 1,5 Go only. Maybe I'am wrong ?... Would you confirm what you can get in Netherlands ?

Regards,

Kostia

Jan 15, 2004 at 11:31 PM
JackCnd
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

Someone posted elsewhere that US models are not expected to have the microdrive removable, it will be soldered in.

Don't think its been confirmed but beware.

I dont really want the mp3 player, looking forward to 4GB storage prices dropping to $299 someday.

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:24 AM
David-D
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

edtang wrote:
I've been tempted to do this as well and just sell my X-Drive. I may just wait for the mini iPod since I believe it uses the same drive.

May I ask why you are selling the X-drive? Is it because of size? Speed? no ability to play MP3? Just curious...

I have 2 x 512 CF card and thinking of getting either a X-Drive Pro (40Gig - with MP3 ) or a Cinema Disk (40Gig - MP3, MPEG1/2 7 TV out). I know it's bigger.... but I want to have a dgital wallet and also have it as a portable hard drive. I think the X-Drive Pro (40Gig) is about Aus $400 and the Cinema Disk for around Aus $530

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Regis Helaine
• • •
Account locked
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

no more in stock it seems....
too bad i was transfering money to my girlfriend so she can buy me some....now too late

Jan 16, 2004 at 01:54 AM
oeyvind
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

David,

Do note that loading CFs to one of those portable storage is very slow slow process-something like loading them to laptop via normal 16-bit PCMCIA adapter.

Think that's the same until some manufacturers start to use the 32-bit interface like ASKA/Delkin ones.

Jan 16, 2004 at 02:03 AM
AndyFreeman
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

I have an 30Gb "X-Drive II" and it works a treat for dumping 256mb CF data to it but as Tim mentioned it is slow.

I havnt timed it but it would be close to 4 minutes to load a full 256mb card on the X-Drive which I dont see as an issue because with a second 256mb card in the camera I would have trouble filling it in under 5 minutes anyway.

The X-drive II is USB-2 so it writes from X-Drive to the PC pretty quick.

Jan 16, 2004 at 02:14 AM
stan23
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

I just called my friend over at Creative, and they said that their employee discount doesn't have the Muvo2 yet :-(

Jan 16, 2004 at 02:35 AM
NickWalters
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

How fast is the microdrive that you took out of the mp3 player?

Jan 16, 2004 at 02:49 AM
David-D
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

oeyvind wrote:
David,

Do note that loading CFs to one of those portable storage is very slow slow process-something like loading them to laptop via normal 16-bit PCMCIA adapter.

Think that's the same until some manufacturers start to use the 32-bit interface like ASKA/Delkin ones.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that and I am aware of that. The are both USB 2, and will take about 6-8 minutes for a 512M CF Card. However, that's not really an issue for me as I have two of those 512M cards and I can continue shooting while the other one downloads to the hard drive. I don't believe I will fill a 512M card in 10min.

A 32 Bit interface will be lovely. Unfortnately.... I don't have the time.... I have a wedding to shoot soon and will need that... the last time I shot a wedding... I use a Laptop and that's pretty inconvience.

Jan 16, 2004 at 03:37 AM
David-D
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

AndyFreeman wrote:
I have an 30Gb "X-Drive II" and it works a treat for dumping 256mb CF data to it but as Tim mentioned it is slow.

I havnt timed it but it would be close to 4 minutes to load a full 256mb card on the X-Drive which I dont see as an issue because with a second 256mb card in the camera I would have trouble filling it in under 5 minutes anyway.

The X-drive II is USB-2 so it writes from X-Drive to the PC pretty quick.

Andy,

Thanks for that info. and I am in a very simlar situation as you. ie. 2 cards and a X-Drive Pro/Cinema Disk (depends on which one I am going for). So 8 minutes data transfer time is not a bit issue for me. Of course it would be nice to be able to havea fater tx time. I am also intending to use it as a portable Hard disk on my laptop. You have tried using it as a portable hard drive? (ie. plug the X-drive to your PC/Laptap and leave it there to use as an extended hard drive). If so, can you please advise if you have heat problem? (ie. for leaving the hard drive run for so long). One of the reasons why I tend to go for te Cinema Disk is because it has a fan ( to cool the hard drive). Can you please tell me if the X-Drive II have that? Thanks.

Jan 16, 2004 at 03:49 AM
cmacclel
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

Where did you buy it from?

Mac

Jan 16, 2004 at 03:04 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

To anyone thinking of getting the mini ipod and taking out the drive and replacing it with a smaller card i wouldn't bother. I do not know a way of opening the current ipods case without damaging it beond repair! You can get the card out but not another in! If i am wrong, please share your info!

Chris

Jan 16, 2004 at 04:19 PM
edtang
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 4GB Microdrive for 10D

I think you are mistaken Chris. It's pretty simple to open up a current iPod case, many people do it to change out the battery. I just saw a demonstration on The Screen Savers on TechTV a few days go.

Jan 16, 2004 at 05:38 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password