Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2008 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

jchin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

DaveWatts wrote:
OK, thanks for all the suggestions. While computer reformat might just make it work, that won't help me in the field. I will call B&H tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'm inclined to believe there's something fishy with the card.

If you are worried in the field ... you have 2 options.
1. buy more cards (which is what I've done)
2. erase all photos on the card, instead of formatting in camera

BTW, my recommendation ... if you don't have to, don't format the card while doing a shoot

Jun 02, 2008 at 05:22 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

DaveWatts wrote:
I can shoot now after I change a battery. I just can't turn the camera off first unless I use one of my old Ultra II cards or shoot with a Canon lens.

And for the life of me I can't figure why the Tammy affects file folders on a card or card access. Just doesn't make sense. But that is the way it is.

Have you tried to clean the contacts on the lens and the body with a pencil eraser?

Jun 02, 2008 at 05:24 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I need some help ASAP please guys.

I have just had the "! Cannot create folder" on the rear LCD and "Full" blinking on the top LCD status panel error as described here.

I have tried two Sandisk Extreme III cards and got it with both.

Did this turn out to be a card problem or a camera problem (camera can be returned for 7 days) ??

Thanks

David

Nov 14, 2008 at 03:58 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

Strange thread. I've used Extreme III cards, 2, 4, and 8GB in my 40D, and the Tammy 28-75 - never a problem, and also use the same with my 10D, 50D, and 5D. Not much help, I know, but just another data point.

Nov 14, 2008 at 04:13 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

From what I can glean from the web, it seems to be specifically 4GB Extreme III cards with the 30MB/s logo on the front, which are newer, or at least have a newer controller.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94532

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=28952326

It certainly SEEMS to me that this isn't a camera issue, which relieves me greatly.

Can you confirm if yours is like this?

TIA

David

Nov 14, 2008 at 04:21 PM
calemon
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

dhphoto wrote:
It certainly SEEMS to me that this isn't a camera issue, which relieves me greatly.

I disagree. I'm not sure how you could conclude it isn't a camera problem if the behaviour depends on which lens is attached.

It is the case that it isn't a problem with just your camera, and that certain CF cards provoke the problem, but I'd say the problem is Canon's to fix if the attached lens affects the behaviour.

Nov 14, 2008 at 05:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

calemon wrote:
I disagree. I'm not sure how you could conclude it isn't a camera problem if the behaviour depends on which lens is attached.

It is the case that it isn't a problem with just your camera, and that certain CF cards provoke the problem, but I'd say the problem is Canon's to fix if the attached lens affects the behaviour.

Where did *I* say it was related to the lens?

None of the other replies mention a lens and I was using a Canon 35 f2

Nov 14, 2008 at 06:05 PM
johnip
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

I've got the 4GB 30MB/s card and have never had this problem

Nov 14, 2008 at 09:23 PM
calemon
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

dhphoto wrote:
Where did *I* say it was related to the lens?

None of the other replies mention a lens and I was using a Canon 35 f2

You cited two threads from other forums, and stated your conclusion that "it wasn't the camera" implying you felt so because of what was in those threads. The threads you cited stated that only certain lenses caused the problem.

Nov 14, 2008 at 09:53 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

AH CRAPPPPPP

I was just planning to buy two new 30MB/s cards today Can't take the risk because it is for a wedding

Might have to try and find some Extreme III 20MB/s or Ultra 2s

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nle57
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

check out this quick article on fake extreme III's
http://greenbeanfx.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/spotting-fake-sandisk-compact-flash-cards/

i doubt it since yers is legit from a reputable dealer, but ya never know.

Nov 15, 2008 at 02:35 AM
musclepics
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

+1
Esquire08 wrote:
Send it back and don't overpay--get Transcend with a lifetime warranty.

Nov 15, 2008 at 02:43 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

As far as I can tell it's the cards.

I have tried all sorts of different lenses, batteries and cards and it *seems* only to happen with the Sandisk Extreme III 4GB.

I have been using my Tamron 17-50 to test (don't own the 28-75) but this doesn't seem to spark the issue.

David

Nov 15, 2008 at 07:06 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

No problems with my 4GB extreme III's in any of my cameras including 40D.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM
mfurman
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

Hello David,

I have tested SanDisk Extreme III 4GB (30 MB/s) in my 40D (1.08) and I could not recreate the problem.

Michael

Nov 15, 2008 at 05:14 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

That is all I have used in my 40D since it came out and I have never had a problem.

Jim

Nov 15, 2008 at 05:46 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

I suspect it is the camera and would arrange a Canon fix. Send cards and maybe lens also. I have used the gambit of different size cards in my 20D and 40D with no problems. I also use Tokina lenses sometimes and cannot see how it could possibly be the Tammy lens. If you do not have a battery issue, showing empty when it should say full, then I suspect camera body only.

Gil

Nov 15, 2008 at 06:52 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

mfurman wrote:
Hello David,

I have tested SanDisk Extreme III 4GB (30 MB/s) in my 40D (1.08) and I could not recreate the problem.

Michael

Apologies for the double post, but just in case you didn't read the other 40D thread:

Could you please try taking the lens off, the card out and most importantly the main battery out for a few seconds (not the backup one) with the camera switched off, then put them all back in and switch on. Before you even get to thte sensor clean you should get !cannot create folder! on the rear LCD and the viewfinder says FULL, even though it isn't.

It certainly seems from my tests that this only happens with an Extreme III 4GB with 30GB written on it (hence my feeling that it's not the camera)

Thanks in advance

David

Nov 16, 2008 at 06:40 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

David not sure if the 40D is at fault here, but I find the 40D is an odd camera with some strange software issues in certain units

For instance my 40D (like many others, but not all) will not last more than about 30-40 shots without the battery being reported as "empty" (requiring the camera to be switched off an on again). Sometimes a fresh battery is immediately reported as "empty" as soon as it is put in.

Also I found even on Continuous mode, when the filename counter clicks over 9999, it will continue into a new folder (e.g. 101_) from 0001 again like most cameras, BUT then when a different CF card is inserted, it goes back to folder 100_ and starts naming the files from some random number like 9500 or something. Very odd.

I wonder if certain batches have an inferior connection somewhere which explains these strange anomalies and incompatibilities.

Nov 16, 2008 at 03:03 PM
mfurman
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?

I have been very pleased with my 40D and did not have (touch wood) a single issue with my camera. I realized that I am becoming paranoid about buying new equipment and do not really want anything "new and exciting" anymore. I must be getting old.

Nov 16, 2008 at 03:16 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password