New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Turn off printer color management

matonanjin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Turn off printer color management

I am trying to figure out this color management thing.

I have calibrated my monitor with the Spyder. In CS3 I have it managing color. I am using the profile for my my particular paper and printer which is Ilford Gallerie Classic Pearl and Canon Pixma Pro 9000, respectively.

On the Print Dialog Page in CS3 it states that if I have CS3 managing color I should turn off the printer managing color. How do I turn off the printer managing color. I have looked all over the printer dialog boxes and no where can I find a way to do this.

Help.

Ron

Edited on May 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM

May 13, 2008 at 10:02 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Turn off printer color management

I can't speak specifically to the Pro 9000, but traditionally Canon has had a "Color Options" section in the dialog that includes "Color Correction".

If that still doesn't help, look through the print dialog for wherever "BJ Standard" might show up. From the list of options that BJ Standard is included in, you want to pick "None".

If neither of these hints get you on the right track, hopefully someone with a Pro 9000 can chime in.

May 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Ric Cisson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Turn off printer color management

In the Canon Pixma Pro Properties Dialog Window, on the Main Page, you will want to select Manual in the Color/Intensity Box and click on Set. That will open the Manual Color Adjustment and under Color Correction select None. Then click okay and you have turned Color Management over to CS3.

May 14, 2008 at 12:44 AM
matonanjin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Turn off printer color management

Thank you both. But then I still want to use the correct paper printer profile, correct?

In the case of the Ilford I would still use "IGCPP9_CANP9000_PPPn.icc"?

Thanks again,

Ron

May 14, 2008 at 06:06 AM
labdad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Turn off printer color management

In the Pixma Pro Properties dialog, set the paper to Photo Paper Pro (the PPP in the end of the Ilford profile name) and in Photoshop, set the profile to the IGCPP9_CANP9000_PPPn.icc profile.

May 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Turn off printer color management

I am just off the line with Canon support. They say that once you check "Photoshop manages colors" and select a profile that PS is in control of the printer and there is no need deal with any other printer settings (in the Canon software. etc).

May 15, 2008 at 01:11 PM
VladKenner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Turn off printer color management

I'm not the Canon guy, but from what I know from Epson printing experience turning on PS color management and turning off Color Management in the printer does not eliminate the need to select paper in the printer's paper selection dialog. The thikness and the surface of the paper determine a lot in the way the printer handles the print and I do not think it can be transmitted with the image's icc prifle from PS. If you use 3rd party papers they usually specify what paper/print quality should be selected in the print driver for any specific 3rd party paper.

Edited on May 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM

May 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Turn off printer color management

Render unto Epson what is Epson's and render unto Canon what is Canon's.

May 17, 2008 at 06:43 PM
VladKenner
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Turn off printer color management

Have to disagree. ICC profile is just that -the pixel values. It will have no idea about the thikness and the surface of the paper. What yoou're turning off in the printer driver is color management, but not the paper selection. This and the print quality needs to be set according to paper manufacturer's instruction

Edited on May 17, 2008 at 08:27 PM

May 17, 2008 at 08:27 PM
jdryan3
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Turn off printer color management

VladKenner wrote:
Have to disagree. ICC profile is just that -the pixel values. It will have no idea about the thikness and the surface of the paper. What yoou're turning off in the printer driver is color management, but not the paper selection. This and the print quality needs to be set according to paper manufacturer's instruction

I agree with Vlad.
I use the Classic Pearl on my iP5000, and yes you turn off the printer doing color management, yes you use the ICC profile in PS print management, but if you go out to the Ilford website they will actually tell you all the other settings you need to make in the Canon printer properties. Screen shots and everything.

You can then save those PRINTER settings as a PRINTER profile. So you choose your ICC profile in PS and then select the printer profile. And the settings are different depending upon which paper you are using. Ilford Smooth Gloss, Classic Pearl, Smooth Fine Art all have different settings for the printer. I also use Moab, Epson, Canon and Inkpress papers. While some do have the same settings, I just save a new printer profile for each paper. Easier to keep track of.

May 17, 2008 at 09:17 PM
Nvnraj

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Turn off printer color management

Hi,
Great post sir! You really posted a great article and it will help all the person. Who are wanting help from someone. Your information is very helpful.

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:11 AM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Turn off printer color management

If you download and install Easy Photo Print Pro from the Pro9000 support website it handles all the necessary PS adjustments.

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:31 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.