Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2008 · New rumour - June

sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New rumour - June

STOP THE MADDNESS, STOP IT

Apr 30, 2008 at 01:22 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New rumour - June

2 new lenses will be none other than the 200 and 800. Old news and everyone has known there were coming for the Olympics...

Apr 30, 2008 at 01:26 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New rumour - June

Red Grainger wrote:
Yakim,
It is my hope that the marketing guys are worried
Cheers-Red

It is my hope as well but judging from Canon's recent behaviour they are notů..

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 30, 2008 at 01:29 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New rumour - June

chris78cpr wrote:
And it's star feature will be a bigger LCD and AF that works?

Come on, they havnt even got the 1diii working right yet, they can't be bringing out a replacement.

That would be rather stupid and just kick pro's in the teeth who've shelled out and spent a lot of money on the mkiii and had all these problems.

Chris

They did the same thing when folks complained of soft pics from the new 1D2 at the Athens Olympics. Out comes the 1D2N, minor upgrades announced, yet no real logic for the expense required to release a new body; but then reports of improved AF /picture sharpness started appearing.

Canon is a creature of habit and a 1D3N would fit their mould. My guess, modest handling upgrades touted as 'listening to users', a slightly lower fps to gain better control over the sub-mirror (or because of a new sub-mirror linkage design) and talk of how the EXISTING 1D3 AF improvements have been incorporated. Then the reports of radically improved AF vs. supposedly 'fixed' up-to-date older models will start trickling in.

Sadly, they are getting predictable. That said, they have no real choice but to release a modified model if, as many suspect, the 1D3s issues are not fixable by simple firmware tweaks and sub-mirror massages - and they want to keep the APS-H line alive.
If they pull this stunt without offering rebates to existing 1D3 users (), Nikon should send them a 'Thank You' card.

Edited by Conner999 on Apr 30, 2008 at 09:54 AM GMT

Edited on Apr 30, 2008 at 01:54 PM

Apr 30, 2008 at 01:50 PM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New rumour - June

What does 17-40 f/4 IS look like in Hebrew?

Apr 30, 2008 at 01:51 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New rumour - June

New Canon Rebates starting May 19
5DII announcement June 2 or June 5

http://mattanderson.zenfolio.com/

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:16 PM
remixity

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New rumour - June

boy who cried wolf

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:19 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New rumour - June

Finally, the lost 5D II scrolls are found! Are you sure about June? Did someone check the born-on date?

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:21 PM
Eoscjr
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New rumour - June

Actually if you wanna laugh, go to Adorama's site and you'll see this under item description for the 1D MK III.............

Canon EOS-1D MARK-III N Digital SLR Camera - Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery - Battery Charger - AC Adapter - Lithium Battery (backup battery) - USB Cable - Video Cable - EOS Digital Solutions Software CD-ROM - Instruction Manual on CD-ROM

Thought that was kinda interesting. C.J.

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:30 PM
Rubber Soul
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New rumour - June

darryn patch wrote:
Like I said I can't see the 5D being upgraded anytime soon I reckon 12 months atleast before an upgrade.

Have you noticed Canon's upgrade cycle? It's like clockwork. Since 2003, the prosumer models are being upgraded every 1.5 years. And the professional models are being upgraded every 3 years. The 5D will turn 3 years old this Fall.

Keep in mind that the manufacturing costs for a 5D doesn't actually go down with each year. It's not feasible for Canon to keep in production obsolete components necessary for a 3-year old Camera (ie Digic 2 Processor).

Yakim Peled wrote:
5D Mk II.
1D Mk III N.
2 new lenses.

With the introduction of the Nikon D3, I don't think it makes sense for Canon to keep the 1D series in crop format anymore. What I think will happen is Canon will simply transplant the sensor from the 5Dmk2 into the 1Dmk3N. Sharing sensors will minimize both production cost and R&D cost.

The EOS 5D and EOS 1Dmk2 had the same sized pixels. It's reasonable to assume their successors will also share the same sized pixels. Same pixel size means the 1Dmk3N can still do a high speed digital crop mode to achieve 10 fps @ 10 MP @ 1.3x crop mode.

That, to me, is the most logical step will Canon to take.

Edited by Rubber Soul on Apr 30, 2008 at 02:56 PM GMT

Edited on Apr 30, 2008 at 02:56 PM

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New rumour - June

An 'n' model of the 1D3 is a good bet at some point, but not to "fix" the AF.

It's simply been Canon's past practice to do a mid-point revision on certain pro cameras prior to a complete model replacement. This happened in the past with the F-1, EOS-1, and EOS-1D II, and and there is a better than even chance that this will happen again with this model.

Im my opinion, Canon has demonstrated a commitment to fix issues with the existing model. It hasn't happened with the alacrity that some owners wished, but I doubt this is due to "arrogance" or "corporate greed", but simply to the reality that some problems are difficult to track down and solve.

I don't believe Canon secretly wishes to drive us all to Nikon. I do think they need to seriously reconsider their quality assurance and release testing process. And, the marketing department needs to connect with reality and verify engineering statements before making claims about "revolutionary" AF performance. It's a problem not of intent, but of competence.

Edited on Apr 30, 2008 at 02:57 PM

Apr 30, 2008 at 02:55 PM
bob_wfmc
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New rumour - June

garyvot wrote:

It's simply been Canon's past practice to do a mid-point revision on certain pro cameras prior to a complete model replacement. This happened in the past with the F-1, EOS-1, and EOS-1D II, and and there is a better than even chance that this will happen again with this model.

Im my opinion, Canon has demonstrated a commitment to fix issues with the existing model. It hasn't happened with the alacrity that some owners wished, but I doubt this is due to
...Show more

Finally, a realistic appraisal of what is going on at Canon! Big company = lots of red tape, lots of miscommunication or no communication between departments. Couple that with a difficult design flaw and you have the makings of a huge headache! I think Canon does need to evolve, and perhaps this nightmare with be the activation energy needed for some small changes, but change rarely happens in the absence of major economic hardship and I doubt this issues has hurt them significantly.

Apr 30, 2008 at 06:06 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New rumour - June

I dont care what they introduce. Since getting the 1Ds2, I dont think i'll need to get another body for years. Love this thing!

Apr 30, 2008 at 06:09 PM
claudermilk
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New rumour - June

fotografur wrote:
Here we go again

EOS20 wrote:
I will believe it when I see it (In the shops!).

Sums up my thoughts.

Apr 30, 2008 at 06:10 PM
Me_XMan
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New rumour - June

24-70/2.8L IS is waste of money IMO.

Yakim Peled wrote:
No more info. Sorry.

The 24-70/2.8 IS is long overdue.
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GvWX

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 30, 2008 at 06:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New rumour - June

Still lusting for a 5D II .... so any rumor is better than no rumor!

Hope there is a 100-400L IS Mk II in the mix!

Apr 30, 2008 at 06:52 PM
Vivek
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New rumour - June

Finally a voice of sanity. Most opinions on this MKIII issue vacillate between "evil Canon" to "My MkIII has no issues" camps and a few reasonable folks in the middle.

To me, this is more of a marketing fiasco that was handled by Canon the best way they could (read logistics). Could this have been done better? Possibly, but then again that is the experience for the next issue that occurs.

-- Vivek

garyvot wrote:

Im my opinion, Canon has demonstrated a commitment to fix issues with the existing model. It hasn't happened with the alacrity that some owners wished, but I doubt this is due to
...Show more

Apr 30, 2008 at 08:13 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New rumour - June

Vivek wrote:
Finally a voice of sanity. Most opinions on this MKIII issue vacillate between "evil Canon" to "My MkIII has no issues" camps and a few reasonable folks in the middle.

To me, this is more of a marketing fiasco that was handled by Canon the best way they could (read logistics). Could this have been done better? Possibly, but then again that is the experience for the next issue that occurs.

-- Vivek

Well... since you ask... yes, they could have done it better. It's bad enough that they had a problem with one of their flagship cameras but the fact that they blamed their customers without offering a hint that they were taking them seriously was a very, very, very bad decision. And that's putting it kindly. Basically I concur with you but it was their messed-up PR department that screwed things up - BIG time.

Apr 30, 2008 at 08:43 PM
dennysb
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New rumour - June

I am sorry, this is funny

So the source giving us top secret Canon news is "photographer which shoots Nikon, has a vast collection of Nikon equipment and has some internal knowledge in Nikon.." oh yes an a little Canon insight. Am I the only one having a problem parsing this

Yakim Peled wrote:
Not much really.

5D Mk II.
1D Mk III N.
2 new lenses.

The source is an old Israeli photographer which shoots Nikon, has a vast collection of Nikon equipment and has some internal knowledge in Nikon and Canon (a little). FWIW, he is well respected in Israel and is considered a reliable source.

BTW, the link is in Hebrew so I see no point in posting it. Then again, if some of you do read Hebrew I will post it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 30, 2008 at 08:53 PM
ACElkins
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New rumour - June

Barry Pehlman wrote:
Finally, the lost 5D II scrolls are found! Are you sure about June? Did someone check the born-on date?

Where do they put the Expiration Date on the 5D?

Edited on Apr 30, 2008 at 09:13 PM

Apr 30, 2008 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password