Hello,
I'm upgrading from a 2200 mainly to get the 17" and have beenreading about the 3800 and 4880 printers. They seem to be very similar and I can't figure out what is the advantage to the more expensive 4880.
Can someone please explain to me in a few sentences the differences between these two models of epson printers and the three different flavors of each (std, portrait, color burst). I wish there was a side-by-side comparison tool, like you get when shopping for cars!
3800 sheet paper only(smallest 4x6)/4880 roll & sheet paper (smallest sheet is letter size)
3800 Ultrachrome K3 pigment inks/same but with "Vivid Magenta ink technology"
3800 inks in 80 ml cartridiges/4880 110/220 ml cartridges (larger = cheaper ink per ml)
3800 27" x 15" x 10" (W x D x H) Weight: 43.2 lb/4880 33" x 14" x 30" (W x D x H)
Weight: 89 lbs
Here's what it came down to for me. If you often print 4x6 and 5x7 prints and are not a production shop, the 3800 might be a better printer for you. If you do lots of volume, need rolls and eat lots of ink, probably the 4800. I do a lot of smaller prints, so I got the 3800 and really like it. I have not had any issues with it and the ink does seem to go a long way, but the cartridges are expensive to buy when you have to get 3 or 4 of them at once.
I had a 3800, sold it, and bought a 4880. Reasons?
1. Media Handling Capability. I lost smaller size sheet ability when I moved the 3800, but gained a 50% cost reduction by shooting 4x6's out 4 across by roll.
2. Price per square foot of printing is aboulf half of what the 3800 costs. Ties into above.
- the 220 ml ink cartridges are great.
3. Build Quality. 4880 is designed to be a commerical workhorse.
- you can swap in cartridges in the middle of a print as a nice feature.
4. Using the new Baryta papers, I don't switch between PK and MK. The switch in black inks on the 3800 costs significantly less than with the 4880.
5. Print quality. You'll get varying opinions here, but the one thing that everybody sees on the 3800, is "Pizza Wheel" marks when using large media. If you want to lower your price per square foot on the 3800 by using larger sheets for 4x6's, you need to take this into account. The "Pizza Wheel" marks do not affect smaller sheet sizes.
I rarely print for personal reasons, but turn out a fair amount of prints for clients, model tests etc...It was a no bariner for me. I made up the $700 price difference in three print jobs.
Unless you are printing EPS/Vector graphics, you can just go with the standard models. The drivers that Epson is shipping now are very robust and can do 16 bit output...for photographic printing a RIP is not that benefical these days.
The "portrait" editions have some nice layout tools and image editing features if you haven't invested in 3rd party plugins for Photoshop, but I just create templates in Photoshop using the "Picture Package" feature and mate it to custom paper sizes for roll feed printing. Pretty easy.
I forgot to mention too...the 4880, weight aside, is a *much* larger printer. Definately not large desktop size like the 3800, unless you are in a studio with an open back table for a desk.
In addition to what's already been mentioned, there's also the issue of cut sheets.
The 3800 is the only 17" printer than can do full-bleed on cut sheets. The roll printers can only bleed side-to-side on cut sheets; margins have to be left at the top and bottom.
It's safe to ignore the Portrait and ColorBurst editions of the entire Epson line.
Thank you for all the input.
After reading the above it seems the STD 4880 is the one I should get. (That is if I can open space for it. 90lb!! wow)
The 4880 also can handle full bleed on cut sheets, no?
NO!!! The 4880 can not do full bleed on cut sheets. It uses a vaccuum to pull the paper down, so it needs leading & trailing paper. Full bleed ONLY on rolls.
Size is a big deal - I am glad I got the 3800 vs the canon. Sometimes things are larger in real life than it may seem - you have to be able to get around to use the printer as well. Good look with your choice
I agree with that I have a small office and the 2200 is just the right size for the desk space!
But I find the reports of "pizza cutter" marks on 3800 large prints concerning. And then there is the talk of a new 3880 model ....
So no purchase yet! I think they call it "analysis paralysis"
I have a 3800, print 17x22 on 300gsm+ paper and have never seen "pizza wheel" marks. I'm not sure what pmacino means by large media.
If you need high volume printing on roll paper, go for the 4880, it's meant for that. If you don't, the 3800 is a better choice in my opinion, i.e. smaller, lighter, cheaper, full bleed.
DIS Ottawa wrote:
I have a 3800, print 17x22 on 300gsm+ paper and have never seen "pizza wheel" marks. I'm not sure what pmacino means by large media.
If you need high volume printing on roll paper, go for the 4880, it's meant for that. If you don't, the 3800 is a better choice in my opinion, i.e. smaller, lighter, cheaper, full bleed.
Pretty well known and documented. Some people see it more on A2 PK "glossy" papers, not so much MK
Wow, I had no idea. I do mostly print on matte paper and the smallest common size is 11x14; perhaps that is why I haven't seen them. Good to know that this can occur, I'll watch for it.
Wow, I had no idea. I do mostly print on matte paper and the smallest common size is 11x14; perhaps that is why I haven't seen them. Good to know that this can occur, I'll watch for it.
It really isn't anything specific to the 3800. It's happened in the other larger "desktop" Epson printers as well....2200, 2400, etc..
3800 is a great printer. Like you said, just something to watch for. Some people never even see them.
The other issue with the 3800 is the trailing edge of the paper becoming fouled with ink due to a 'head strike', a result of not having the vacuum feature to hold the paper down as the last bit of it slips under the print head. Changing the platen gap setting can help.
Jeff wrote:
The other issue with the 3800 is the trailing edge of the paper becoming fouled with ink due to a 'head strike', a result of not having the vacuum feature to hold the paper down as the last bit of it slips under the print head. Changing the platen gap setting can help.
Just an FYI for those interested in the 3800...
This I have had happen a number of times, especially if the paper is not truly flat end to end.