Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Justin Clamp

RyanGphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Justin Clamp

SO I have been looking at this for my flash units and it looks like a pretty nice idea. I can't find the answer to this question though....

I know the clamp holds the flash units, but what is the hole at the back of the clamp for? on one side there is the actual clamp part and then moving backward there is the ball head for the flash and then at the end a hole (possibly for an umbrella?)

Anyone know? Anyone also found any reviews of this? I might need these so I don't have to buy a different adapter to hold the flashes to the stands.

One last question... How would the Pocket Wizards mount to the flashes with these things?

Thanks
Ryan

Feb 18, 2008 at 04:43 AM
Carmen Miranda
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Justin Clamp

vidoprof wrote:
SO I have been looking at this for my flash units and it looks like a pretty nice idea. I can't find the answer to this question though....

I know the clamp holds the flash units, but what is the hole at the back of the clamp for? on one side there is the actual clamp part and then moving backward there is the ball head for the flash and then at the end a hole (possibly for an umbrella?)

Anyone know? Anyone also found any reviews of this? I might need these so I don't have to buy a different adapter
...Show more

Ryan,

Here are just a few of the ways I use this very versatile strobist accessory. Hope it helps you visuaIize the fittings. There are really too many ways to use this item to describe them all. I have yet to find a limit on the ways it can be deployed. It is an absolutely essential tool in my light kit. BTW, so is the grip clamp without the ball head, which I am constantly reaching around for in the studio. Both of these rate right up there with Gaffer's tape, Super Clamp, A clamps, reflector grids, C-stands, bungie cords and foam core in my top 10 of studio "must have" accessories. (Not necessarily in that order, of course )

I suppose someone was bound to think of it sooner or later, but thanks to Justin Stailley for attaching a 482 ball head to a grip clamp. It must have been something like the first time someone dropped their chocolate into their peanut butter. A shear stroke of genius.

Typical set up using clamp:

Clamp on light stand:

On light stand with umbrella attached with clamp:

Clamp with umbrella hung from overhead grip arm:

One of my favorite uses; clamp holding FLAG while attached to a 3/8 tripod bushing or mounted on a 5/8" baby adaptor:

Good luck.

Edited on Feb 18, 2008 at 08:04 PM

Feb 18, 2008 at 04:59 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Justin Clamp

Carmen,

Thank you so much for all the visuals this DEF helps A LOT. I am so undecided if I need these or should i go with a Manfrotto Umbrella holder or the impact Umbrella holder (it has a shoe mount for my flashes too just not a ball head version).

There is just soo much that I don't know unless I see it. Like exactly what setup I should use for now.

Thanks
Ryan

I just bought 3 - Avenger 410 light stands and will be using them with Pocket Wizards and my three speedlights to get my pictures done. The stands will hold 2 large 60" umbrellas and the third stand is to hold the third speedlight with PW attached for fill. Does that sound like a decent enough plan?

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:01 PM
Carmen Miranda
• • •
p.1 #4 · Justin Clamp

The umbrella holder adaptor is probably a better choice for you. It is designed more specifically for how you plan to use them, especially with 60" umbies. I use Manfrotto (2905?) and Photoflex adaptors. The former is much better made but any of them, including the Impact, should work fine. The Justin clamp is really more for specialty applications and in situations where stands just don't work. If you want max versatility on a tight budget, you might consider 2 umbrella holder adaptors and maybe one Justin clamp, which can also work on a stand if necessary.

Good luck.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #5 · Justin Clamp

The Bogen / Manfrotto 2905 - Swivel Umbrella Adapter is, IMO, almost perfectly designed.

--
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 20, 2008 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password