Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Archive 2008 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Saad Syed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Easily one of my top 3 favorite threads ever.

Some of the things here are jaw-dropping unbelievable.

Thank you SO much for sharing!

Feb 09, 2008 at 04:55 AM
senna4ever
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wally Lisbourne > Chuck Norris

Feb 09, 2008 at 09:14 AM
Kieran Jackson

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

What kind of fur is the older woman wearing? I'm guessing these fur coats have some sort of skin in them that is perfectly suited fot the weather they must endure... That coat looks official!

Kieran

Feb 09, 2008 at 10:57 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Well the animals used in making the parky's are real.

http://majikimaje.com/sexy.jpg

Wolverine is the best fur to use on the fur ruff, (Isagvik). Wolf will keep you cold, It will freeze your face when it ges wet. It is only used on dress parky's. but for a hunting parky you need wolverine, and the "claws" are kept on, wolverine cannot get wet. Just shake it, and it is dry, Beaver is the same. It is used on hats. A beaver hat sells for $250, but you cannot get cold wearing one of those, they are only used when it is wicked cold!

100 below zero happens a lot up here, (wind chill). The coldest I have ever seen or experienced up here. Jan of 89. Planes could not make it in for one month. The winds were in excess of 120 mph, The actual temp was 89 below.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/ice/coldwind.jpg

Feb 09, 2008 at 11:17 AM
dweldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Majik_Imaje,

Thank you for the great images and wonderful stories.

We look forward to more very soon.

Feb 09, 2008 at 11:33 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you dweldon and everyone else that has shown such great interest here, I pr omise you; - you will not be disapointed in the many pages yet to follow of photographs and amazing stories that are easily proven!

If I type in the word IGLOO no doubt you have heard that word, but do you know what an IGLOO IS ? I sincerly doubt that very much, you think an IGLOO is built out of snow or ice.. that is a myth ! that simply is not true, NOT FOR ALASKA EVER! (above the arctic circle.) i.e. the Inupiaq People

First of all, in the Inupiaq language there are no O's or E's. Therefore the correct spelling of THAT WORD is Iglu

Inupiaq 101

Iglu = one dwelling place.

Iglut = two dwelling places.

Igluk = three or more dwellings.

ever since the begining of time, thousands of years ago, The Inupiaq people have always constructed an iglu out of whale bones and sod ! These ancient ruins are all over the place and still visible here today. and in many villages. From Kotzebue just over the Arctic circle clear up to Barrow and beyond, Kaktovik

This is an Iglu, this broken down "condo" once had electricity running to it. The service drop is on the left hand side. one of the porclean insulators is still visible. :rolleyes:

When covered with snow, the inside of these dwellings were quite protected from
the elements of the constant never ending strong Arctic winds.
The storms we have up here are vicous. The unrelenting wind, shaking these houses that we live in today.

As you can easily see, there is quite a bit of room in some of these old units. Some of them were very long with rooms off to the side. Large families lived in these dwellings for 2,600 years and some of the old ancient ruins are still visible here today as the wind and erosion, uncovers earth and sod to display the ancient bones dug deep into the permafrost many thousands of years ago!

All over the OLD TOWN SITE, ruins are still visible and more are becoming visible each year, The village of Point Hope had to be moved 2.5 miles south in the late 70's due to flooding. That is still a major problem today, we are only about 12 feet above sea level, one huge wave and we are all fish food!

Bones are everywhere, and they have significant meanings and uses !

and of course.. .. stories !

Bones.. .. .. what is there to say about .. "bones" ?

Well usually a subject not many would find interesting, except up here, because of the "varied" use of bones. A lot can be said and shown to explain many things and uses for "bones".

The whalebone graveyard has jaw bones from many whales collected over many thousands of years.

Nothing is ever wasted by the Inupiaq peoples. Jaw bones from whales mark grave sites and cermonial festival sites.

The last chief of Point Hope (1920s era) is buried here. Atangorak.

The whale bone graveyard is 1 mile away in the distance, yes it is that far away from this, grave which as you notice, for some reason is not among the people of Point Hope. He was not considered a nice person. He had six wives and took another man's wife for his # 7 th wife. He was murdered shortly there after. all of his six wives are buried here also !

Jaw bones from a whale of that whaling captain are always used to mark their grave sites with the biggest whale that captain has ever "received".

Kamaktoaq is a cermonial festival site used once a year @ whaling festival which is held each June, if we have been successful in receiving a whale.
Point Hope used to have more than 20 clans, before the whaling companies arrived here. Now we have just two clans left. Kamaktoaq & Unisigsicauq.

We are under a quota system and as such we cannot hunt in the traditional manner of years long ago. We are prohibited in obtaining the necessary amount to feed this village. We are allowed 10 attempts only. Last year we received no whales. This year we have been blessed to receive 3. That is no where near enough to feed 800 people for the entire year. This is the one food we enjoy the most. Blubber, maktak, fat, flammable fat. This keeps us warm and very happy. NO other food can do what blubber can do for us. This has been our mainstay for thousands of years. But due to the animal activists and PETA and the INTERNATIONAL WHALING COMMISSION we must refrain from eating our food, based on false information and knowledge about our way of life.

In 1983 I had to return to Boston as my father passed.
On the streets of Boston, greenpiece was passing out phamplets to STOP THE ESKIMO'S FROM KILLING WHALES.. there are only 250 right whales remaining.. that is what the propaganda said. which was / is totally false. Well over 15,000 Bowhead whales were counted by federal biologists the year before. I went to the greenpiece office, and met with them. I asked one question. Isnt a "right whale" the same thing as a Bowhead whale ? well um, er, oh.. yes it is they said. I produced my album, they kicked me out !

When my first whale hunt finished I worked ferverishly around the clock to process this film and begin the tedious process of printing 11 x 14 color enlargements right here in the village. Gorgeous color prints delivered down to the ocean ice, same day, for free to everyone.

Then I began the ardous process of creating 7 albums complete with hand written calligraphy. I had to get these images up to Barrow for the CLOSED MEETING of whaling captains only; with the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission and the International Whaling Commission. I was very upset. I had to try and do something, no matter what the cost.

I worked and worked and worked and prepared the albums:

on the inside cover was calligraphy explaing what your about to see:

Imagine chopping a trail through ice for 7 miles, to move equipment, supplies and hundreds of people to live out on the ocean ice for two months, just to obtain food.

Imagine sleeping outside @ 50 below zero for two months.. .. just to eat !

The Album was finished with days to spare and I flew at my own expense up to Barrow to gain access to this closed meeting. I had high hopes. and lots of prayers.

The morning of the meeting, I was walking down a street in Barrow with the album in hand, my foot hit a slick piece of ice and I went completly horizontal, the album went flying into the air, came down hard and both covers broke and the pages were scattered all over the street in mud. I just sat there and cried like a baby. Got up.. and gathered everything up, tottally in shock over the event that had just happened. I am a totall mess, mud all over me, the pages are ruined, i gatherered everything up and headed to that meeting, nothing was going to stop me. Outside I took my jacket off and use my shirt to clean the pages as much as possible. I took a deep breath and walked in and was immediately thrown out.!

This meeting is closed:! Even if the Mayor of Barrow tried to gain access. NO! closed: Whaling Captains only ! this is serious.. oh oh.. um.. what do I do now.. I tried to clean up as much as possible and went back in and again I was thrown out physcially!

I gotta do something different.. but what.? took a deep breath, said.. .. "Thanks" and waked back in.. here they come.. I opened the album and yelled .. YOU NEED THESE PHOTOGRAPHS!!!!!!!
AFTER much whispering at the main table, I am allowed in ! I apologized for my appearance and told them a new albumn would be on the next plane headed up to Barrow from Point Hope. I was allowed to get up on that podium and in front of 2 state senators and the International whaling commission and the Alaska Eskimo whaling commission I presented my case, in Inupiaq and in English.

NO ONE.......... NO COMMISSION,, NO AGENCY. NO PERSON, NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT to hinder these people in their age old plight to eat their food.

These people are truely one with the whale. We do not hunt and kill whales !

We wait for that whale to give itself over to the captain of its choice.

I spoke for 1/2 hour and thanked the natives peoples for giving me the chance to express my OPINION on this world wide plight of the Eskimo people of all 9 whaling villages in Alaska.

I flew back to point hope very depressed at the outcome of that days events. A few days later I received this in the mail.

Feb 09, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Only time will tell, if our way of life will become extinct.

http://majikimaje.com/reflection.jpg

Feb 09, 2008 at 09:06 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Life in the Arctic is at best .., totally unpredictable, even something as ordinary as walking to work.

Clyde Harris from Kotzebue was walking to work, one day,(2004) same as always, walking along the beach. (Kotz has a pop. of 3000+ It is not a whaling village).

Just walking along any of the beaches up here, that is all it takes.
Clyde saw something small sticking out of the mud, he kicked it and almost broke his foot. He bent over and grabbed it and the earth moved, ten feet away. He jumped, ran home, got a shovel, and dug this monster out of the mud.

Ancient fossil Mastadon tusk 20,000 years old or older. These beaches and tundra are invested with this type of material. From Kotzebue, clear up to Barrow and beyond. Fossil Ivory is a way of life here above the arctic circle.

Clyde was immediately offered $15,000 for this one tusk

http://majikimaje.com/tusk.jpg

Point Hope has an unemployment rate of perhaps as much as 75%.

Arts & Crafts are the means which enable many families to generate an income.

Bea Lisburne in Kotzebue, found two mastadon teeth, sticking out of the mud, a great distance away from the village, these two teeth were the size of a "brick" . she received, $1000 from the Northwest Arctic Borough.

Here is a tiny piece of a mastadon tooth, actual size. You can see the layers of the tooth and the crushing action of the tooth as it grew.

http://majikimaje.com/images/mi01.jpg

Artifacts are found on many of these beaches also. some strange things wash up on these beaches, especially during the violent storms we have, frequently in the fall time.

http://majikimaje.com/images/ar2.jpg

This old artifact, appears to be a "saw" of some type, the handle fits neatly into the palm of the hand and a unique placement spot for the index finger, is expertly hand crafted, it is ivory, very thin and flexible. It is obvious by the size that this was made for the hand of a young woman. Perhaps it was used to cut frozen fish. Grayling is eaten raw & frozen. It is delicous.

We found this on one beach, 50 miles north of the village. It is heavy, It is black fossilized ivory, This appears to be a weapon of some sort. it is blunt, thick, and we are wondering, what are the patterns on the inside. This is very valuable just as it is. So we decide, to cut it open and make ear-rings out of it.

http://majikimaje.com/black_knife-L.JPG

Fossil Ivory has magnificent patterrns on the inside from being bashed around in the ocean, absorbing all of the elements of the ocean. It takes many thousand of years, to turn ivory black and penetrate deep into the core.
No two pieces are ever alike.

http://majikimaje.com/blk_er_01.JPG

This stuff is extremly valuable and commands very high prices when sold.

some people do not carve, or create arts & crafts, they make their living just selling what they find, to other artists. I have seen baseball size fossil tusks sell for as much as 5,000.

For some people, this is a full time job, walking the beaches, especialy when the storms arrive, You call them hurricanes, we are out there on the beaches, waiting, watching as these huge waves come crashing in, over flooding the banks of this village. You can hear, the ivory in the surf, the distinctive ping as gravel hits a piece. Some hunters have a rope tied around them, So they can run into the waves and grab a huge piece or a head set from a walrus that has perished from eons ago.

Here are some cross cut sections of fossil ivory.

http://majikimaje.com/images/fi01.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/fi02.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/fi03.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/fi04.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/fi05.jpg

And some bracelets My sons have made.

http://majikimaje.com/images/Isaiah03.JPG

I pulled all four of my Inupiaq sons out of high school 4 years ago. I enrolled them in the YOU-niversity of D.A.D ! "Disclipine and Deternination"

My sons stay @ home, and they work, all day, every day, long hours.

In fact: Majik Imaje are the initials of my four Inupiaq sons !

MarkAndrew, Jesse, Isaiah, Khristopher = MAJIK

same names, same initials for IMAJE, using our last name for the E !

http://majikimaje.com/images/002.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/FrontPage.jpg

Now lets see just how these people manage to gather their food, many miles out on the ocean ice. At temperatures you can't begin to imagine. 50 below zero, sleeping outside for 2 months.

My model for this portion is Irma Oktollik she taught me much of the Inupiaq way and tradition.

http://majikimaje.com/IRMA04.JPG

We wait.. .. for that whale to give itself over to the captain of its choice.
The whale will always match the captains personality. NO matter which year a captain receives a whale, that whale will do the exact same thing, every year for that specific captain.
Some captains will never receive a whale because of their (bad) personality.

for instance when such and such a captain harpoons a whale, that whalel will always go south, and for another captain that whale will always go north, and for one particular captain, that whale will always hide under the ice, This captain has to find his whale,.. .. by using his nose.!! No. I would like someone to tell me how, it is possible for a person to smelll through 10 feet of ice @ 50 below zero. This is no coincidence, It takes a massive amount of effort for people to dig down through 10 feet of ice and locate a whale.

I have seen and witnessed things up here that do not make any sense what so ever. Not only will that whale do the same thing for that particular captain, each and every time he recieves a whale, SO DOES THE WEATHER.

This is difficult to explain, even more difficult to understand. These people's whole lives revolve around that whale. They are truely one with nature.
Irma could tell I wan't buying any of this as she spoke with me, and she laughed, .. "you watch she said.. This year it is warm..(20 below ha !!).

This is Joe's weather, you watch she said, When Joe receives a whale, it happens quick, He always receives that whale close to the ice.

Whales are like little children, some are timid, some are boastful, and some like to make a big show of their gift to us. When Joes strikes a whale, it is over, that whale always gives up quickly. But she laughed, be ready, for when that whale dies, the wind is going to come screaming in at over 100 miles an hour, and the temperature is going to drop 100 degress also!. she is laughing. She can see the expression on my face.

A friend of mine from Boston was up here to witness this hunt of 83.

When Irma had told me all about Joe, I moved my tripod and camera(s) over to his locaton, high on a ridge above him in back of him, my friend, Brad Parker and I were playing chess.! Stupid stupid stupid me, I never saw Joe slip his umiaq into the water at the edge of the ice.. I am concentrating on the board and I hear Boom !!! (exploding harpoon), I look up to see a dead whale in the water, next to Joes umiaq, Just as I was getting up, THAT WIND, came sceaming in. Everyone is running for clothes, Joe is standing into the wind with both arms outstretched, smiling !! How did that woman know, what would happen and how it would happen two weeks before it ever did happen,?? She called it 100%!

Edited by Majik_Imaje on Feb 10, 2008 at 02:03 AM GMT

Edited on Feb 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Feb 10, 2008 at 01:54 AM
onebear
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Amazing picture series, and stories... Lovely captures...

Feb 10, 2008 at 09:00 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thanks for expresing interest in my work.

It sure wasn't easy.

But this year's hunt is about to begin in two months time.

We are hoping to provide video's and more images of life on the ocean ice, but from up here at the Top of the World in Barrow.

Everything is done differently up here. Point Hope is the only village that does everything in the traditional old manner.

Other villages take shortcuts.!!

http://majikimaje.com/collection/ice/abe.jpg

Edited by Majik_Imaje on Feb 18, 2008 at 08:09 AM GMT

Edited on Feb 18, 2008 at 05:09 PM

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Story Time : This is preposterous !

http://majikimaje.com/THE_TRIP2.jpg

This is a true story, with 7 witness' . Even though this happend and there is substantial proof.

I do not expect you to believe this totally preposterous story, I have a very hard time, and this happened to me, exactly as I am explaining it to you, word for word.

I have a few photographs, to help picture what is going on.

Here is the story as it happened,

This is just preposterous ! something like this CAN'T HAPPEN ! .. ... but it did !!

It gives new revelation & meaning to the verse in which Jesus said: .. .. .. " if you abide in Me, and My Words abide in you, you may ask ANYTHING in MY Name, and I WILL DO IT.

Early morning in Feb, in the Arctic, 200 miles above the Arctic circle in Point Hope Alaska I get on my new snowmachine / snowmobile. I have a guide, to show me how to get up on those mountains in the background by Ada Boat. I want to take a few photographs, that is all. The temp is about 50 below zero, it is very cold, but I had a "hunters breakfast" of Raw Frozen Caribou meat, sliced very thin, swallow it whole, do not chew. This is the Eskimo way to get warm when your outside for extended periods of time in sub zero extreme cold weather.

The begining of this "famous" trip starts in the village, at the yellow line in the lower left corner of the photograph of the 'map".

The trip begins with going straight to Ada boat. There I created this image, had a smoke, then off across the extremly smooth North side Ocean ice.. on the other side of the sand bar in the image of Ada Boat, Glass like smooth ice. Full throttle !!

40 miles straight shot, throttle wide open, that is the only way to travel across huge distances. We are headed straight into the wind which is

blowing about 40 mph, we are hitting 80 mph into that wind. It is vicious on your face. Whoa !

Arriving at the entrance to the Kupak river was easy to spot, and up we go, on the frozen river ice, a rather steep climp up 600 feet, to the tops
of the mountains, following the yellow line I traveled far inland in hopes of seeing something to photograph. just a mass of white rolling soft
hills everywhere in all directions. "marshmellow hills", soft, fluffy, and beautiful, but no detail to capture an interesting photograph.

I am getting cold, so it is time to head home. And we follow the yellow line and start the turn to head back to Point Hope. I was always told,

never keep driving at just one speed, keep moving that throttle, and squeezing that handle (to prevent it from freezing up) THIS CITY BOY FORGOT THAT PART
. As the machine is climbing a small hill, the "tundra heads" (Manniks) caught the underside of the "carriage" and make the machine go
erratic, this way and that way and the inertia , flipped me off the machine. oH oh! ha ha ha.. my guide lands on top of me and I am struggling to get up, the machine is starting to
creep up the hill by itself. I get up and start to run up that small hill, EXACTLY LIKE RUNNING IN A DREAM, I am going no where as the machine is
getitng further and further away from me and it goes over the top of the hlll. I make to the top of the hill and look. The machine is no where in
sight. As I turn aruond to walk back, It suddenly hit me full force. I have to walk 80 miles back to the village. There is just no way I can make
that trip. I am too cold, I know I have but a few hours left if that. I sunk down into the snow, my head hanging down in despair. Suddenlly I got
up, Looked straight up to the sky and outstretched my arms skyward and said as loud as I could, with all the confidence and conviction I could,

I will NOT............. DIE OUT HERE TODAY! .. .. .. .. YOU !! - have to do something, ! .. .. .. and YOU .. .. have to do it NOW ~!

THIS IS THE END. .. .. of the yellow line. Now the machine is out of sight, the blue line begins, where the yellow line stops on top of the mountains.

I hear the words... LOOK ! and off to my right is the machine, headed North, from the direction I had just come from, but the machine is about
60 yards to my right, about to go behind another hill. I see the machine and my very first reaction was to aim my 44 magnum and shoot it!

This is city boy technology.. shoot! but then it dawned on me, that if I was successful in shooting that machine to get it to stop, I would
probably never get it started again. so that idea, melted quickly and the machine went out of sight again. It is headed north.

So am I, trying to catch up with my guide, who is more composed than I am. I am in a complete state of perpetual panic. And rightly so, I know I

am going to freeze to death, in just a few hours out here. If I can last that long, I am cold, exhausted, scared! Non-stop prayers, like an Uzi

My petitions, pleas, cries for help are ascending, rapidlly, non-stop, desperate pleas for help.

I hear those words again.. .. .. Look ! I look up only to see a vast white empiness everywhere I look, only white, COLD FROZEN, WHITE nothing
else visible except white. What ? I don't see anything anywhere, LOOK ! what ? where ? Up there, the guide pointed, I look and I still can't
see anything. Where? what ? I look again, again, I see nothing, what ? are you pointing at ? The light ! LOOK!.. I squint my eyes and look..

and look.. .. ... Ah, there it is.. .. way up on a frozen rectangular lake. Perhaps 5 miles away from us ? I have no idea how to judge distance in
this, enviorment but it was very far away, I can just make out the headlight on that machine but I could "follow" it, hmmm look at that !

The machine is at the top left of that "area" and is headed to the bottom right of that same area, then it moves to the top right of that area,
and travels to the bottom left of that same area. and it repeats the same motions.. WowoW. ha ha ha.look at that.. fancy figure 8's..

......."or.... the exact same symbol or sign for ... ... "INFINITY" !!!!!!!!!... ...... ... it is the LORD !! OH ! OMG! I AM OFF RUNNING

I KNOW..... that this is the Lord! it has to be.. that machine was doing this same symbol for what seemed like hours as I am headed up in that
direction, with renewed strength. Thank you Jesus, was all I kept saying as I was running up to that area, huff, puff, whew,, you cannot run in
snow, for very far before your ready to collapse, I am bent over, trying to catch my breath, watching that machine, laughing, Lord, Please help me

I am so cold, I need your help NOW !.. ... ... AND THAT MACHINE broke off the lower right hand corner of that area and was bouncing erratically
headed straight for ME! THANK YOU, thank you, thank you, thank you thank you, .. ah ha.. here it comes, and stupid me !!! STUPID ME STUPID ME.

As the machine is getting closer I can see we are going to connect and stupid me broght my arm down on that kill switch hard. bang, as it went by

and kept right on going. Stupid me, I should have grabbed the handle bars and let it drag me and climb back into the drivers seat and break the
connection by squeezing the throttle. I just blew it and now it comes past me in a big arc and heads straight for "Z". My guide is about 1 1/2
miles to my left. As the machine is headed toward my guide, Z, I say to myself, this eskimo will know what to do, Then I watch as I am running
again towards that location, close to the cliffs, 600 feet above the ICE. I see the machine is going straight for Z, wow, renewed strength is all
that is keeping me going, i am exhausted beyond belief and very cold. I have been without my big parky for too long and I am jsut cold all over,
scared, worried, constantly praying. The machine is bouncing again due to the "manniks" in the tundra, Jockying for position, as the snowmachine
gets closer and closer, I relax when I see they are going to connect.. yes yes yes yes ... Oh no.. I see her arm go up into the air. to repeat my

stupid action.. NO ! I scream as loud as I can.. NO! and her hand / fist comes down on that kill switch, and that machine goes right past her, straight for the cliffs.

I am screwed now ! and I collapse into the snow, again, totally spent. NO strength to go on, getting up and walking over to Z was so

depressing. The Lord Himself gave us two chances and we each blew it. I feel so stupid & cold, & stupid.

I finally reach the location Z is at and I put my parky back on with my beaver hat, and slowly begin to gain some much needed warmth, from the clothing, but I. am still cold.

I have no idea what to do next, we are walking in the "tracks" of the snowmachine, i have no idea what to do now, it is starting to get dark.

I am not scared of dying now, uh uh, I am terrified of Irma Oktollik, the mother of my guide,

The last thing Irma said to me was, you have no idea what your doing out there, you can get into big trouble, YOU BETTER BE BACK BEFORE IT GETS

DARK, do not... .. make me get search & rescue to go after you, She didn't really want me to go, She knew I had no skills for what I was
attempting to accomplish, anything can happen out here, and it usually does, but this was one for the "record books" so to speak.

I am terrified of what Irma is going to do.. now i am really scared, and we continue to walk and I hear,, ssshh ! listen, I look to my left and to my right, nothing, Be still I was told, quit moving.. shhh! I took my hood down and she yells at me again, quit moving, stand still don't move.

we listen, I am standing like a statue, I refuse to even move my head, LISTEN.. SSSSSHHHHH.. listen.. and then we see, off to our right, A LIGHT.

ON TOP OF A HILL, and it stops.. THEN A SECOND LIGHT SHOWS UP BESIDE IT AND STOPS.. whoa ! we are rescued!!! Thank you Lord oh
halleleiuja... yoo hooo ! Wowow. Then them two snowmachines came rushing down to our location. IT WAS ALLAN LANE & his brother Clark Lane.

It is a well known fact: Allan is the best hunter in this village. Allan & His brother Clark went hunting for caribou TWO WEEKS EARLIER, yes they have been out here for two weeks, much further north than our location.

clark kept telling Allan, lets go home, Allan kept saying, no just a little bit further, lets keep going on this trail near the cliffs.

Allan's wisdom is what saved our lives that day. He showed up just as darkness was falling all over the area,

Clark said. what are you two doing out here, walking ? We told them the whole account of our afternoon's activities.

Of course everyone laughed, Allan asked how much Gas did you have, I said a full tank, I would not attempt to come out here with anything less.

Allan took off on his snowmachine back up to that tall hill form where they spotted us and was looking all over. After 15 minutes or so he came
back and said. .."we will come back in a few days, We will find it then. I am sure he was right, he knows.

Time to go home.. oh gosh that sounded so good, I just want to get warm, Allan takes my guide on his snowmachine and I get on the back of Clarks
sled and close my hood, because Clarks machine is kicking all the snow & ice back towards me and on me, no biggie, just close the hood and I am
very warm now. We start the slow ride over the small hills, to find the entrance of the Kupak river, turn right and head down that ravine to the ocean ice.

When we reach the bottom of that ravine, we have to turn sharp left 90 degrees or more, to line up with Ada boat and THROTTLE'S WIDE OPEN.

wE ARE FLYING ACROSS THAT ICE, AND ALLAN IS MAD!! He is furious, he is standing up on his machine pointing to the left at the ice pressure ridges.

When the ocean ice hits land, it piles up into huge piles some 20-30 feet tall. Pressure ridges, like giant sugar cubes all piled on top of one another.

I hear Allan yelling, pointing and screaming, I can tell by the sound of his voice, he is furious and very mad, Then I see what he is so mad about,

Off to our left you could see,, the "tracks" of A snowmachine that went up on top of those ice pressure ridges and was traveling in a manner which

defies gravity and the laws of physics.

These tracks made by A snowmachine went up near the top and turned and was following our route way ahead of us on top of those ice pressure ridges.

Which means this machine is now at a 45 degree angle on the top of those ridges parallel to the ice, that is IMPOSSIBLE, IT WOULD FALL OFF.

We are flying toward Ada boat, and then clark sees the snowmachine come off the tops of those pressure ridges down to the ice and turns toward us

as if to say, "here I am.. ... ... follow me,, and turned again straight again towards Ada boat, Allan is flying, WHO THE IS DRIVING THAT SNOW MACHINE,

ALLAN is flying now 100 mph, trying to catch up to this machine, As we drew closer to Ada boat, Allan is way out in front of us, and this machine
hits a small piece of ice, flips on its side, and skids to a stop. ten feet, dead center from ADa boat,!!!! Allan arrives and jumps off his
machine and hits the kill switch on my machine, it does nothing, it is still running, He grabs the plunger or primer and push/pulls repeatidly,

until the machine stalls, He flipped upright just as I arrived and I walk over and pulled the start cord and it started right up and SAT THERE,

EVERYONE is looking at each other with mouths wide open no one is saying anything.

This machine rode the tops of those pressure ridges for TWENTY MILES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYone with any experience will tell you, THAT IS 100% impossible, the best driver in the world couln't make it 20 yards, never mind twenty
miles.

I thanked Alan & Clark and they left and we followed back on my machine back to the village.

As I approach Irma's house I can see Search & Rescue, all reaDY ASSEMBLED outside of her house. I quicky ran in, and told Irma what had just
happened. She grabbed a big Ulu KNife and had it up to my neck and said DON'T YU EVER LIE TO ME LIKE THAT OR I WILL CUT YOUR HEAD OFF.

Her daughter ran in and saidl.. "nO MOMMA. IT REALLY HAPPENED, Irma said Bullshape! ha ha ! Who "RESUCUED YOU" she asked, I proudly said.

Allan Lane,............... she replied.. "he doesn't even like you" I said I know Irma, but today, hE SAVED MY LIFE.

IRMA WASN'T BUING THIS ONE BIT. AND SHE GOT her parky on and ran out of the house over to Suuuauk's house. Allan's Mom.

2 hours later she came back into the house, Arms high in the air, dancing all over the house, it's true' its' true, it's true.

That happened in 1983 February,l they took my snowmachine away from me, they woldn't let me drive it again.

I didn't see allan ever again till 2002 October, and oneof the first things I asked him was.. "Allan.. how did that snow machine ever find its way

over all them hills to Kupak river,? That part always bothered me big time.

Allan laughed and said......" it didn't" it went right off those cliffs ! How can a machine possibly fall 600 feet,and survive that fall,

make three precise turns. ?? IN other words, THAT SNOWMACHINE went 80 miles, back to the exact location we started from. !!!

Allan is still mad about that machine, He knows no one can drive for 20 miles at the top of those pressure ridges for twenty miles at a 45 degree

angle. ! Jesus drove that machine,, THAT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT EVEN REMOTELY COMES CLOSE.

I am hoping for a replay when we get to heaven, I want to see that... I want to know,, were you acutally on that machine, with your hair blowing
in the wind. or did you just use your "finger"?

Everyone up here in the Arctic has very bizarre stories to tell about snowmobiles, they all say, hands down, I got the very best TRUE story of the

entire north slope of the Arctic region!

or anywhere in the world, for that matter.

AGAIN...... I don't expect you to believe this, but it is TRUE. Just write to anyone in the village and they can vouch for this.

Irma has passed on as well as her husband. Every time Irma saw me, all she could do .. is shake her head!............and laugh!

Clark, Allan are still in the village, name - ponthope 99766 will get you a response!

Peter Frankson was up there that day also, I never found out about this till just a few years ago... he says.. David.. I was up there that day, I

saw those tracks on top of the mountains. I could easily see, this was a run-a-way machine because no one would drive in that erractic manner,

I SAW THAT MACHINE...........GO RIGHT OFF THEM CLIFFS DAVID.. I SWEAR ! kOONIAUK FRNKSON !

PEOPLE ARE still talking about this, in this village, and that incident happend 24 years ago !

DON'T EVER LIMIT THE LORD........EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.. I have no idea, why I am still alive.. and why?

I have somehow, someway, only by the Grace of our Lord. survived 5 heart attacks and 3 strokes.

In 2003 I had my third stroke here in the village, I lost my eyesight. 85% . They would not medivac me to the hospital in Kotzebue 200 miles south of us.

I smiled and said LORD,, i GOT NOTHING TO WORRY about. I know your gonna give me my sight back. He did! a year later, I have 90% ofall my vision.. back

but for what ? why?? Am I STILL ALIVE, OBVIOUSLY I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO,, that I haven't done yet !

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Eskimo Dolls .. ..

When it is very very cold, in the village, all you have to do, is look outside and see how people are dressed. That is the indicator as how to dress for the day at hand. As you can easily tell, it is very cold for this girl to wear that hat.
http://majikimaje.com/images/ESKIMOgirlcold.jpg

Doll making is a huge arts & crafts item.
made using the same raw materials as are used on adult clothing.
http://majikimaje.com/images/Female Doll.jpg

http://majikimaje.com/images/doll_Hunter.jpg

These dolls, are in big demand the world over and fetch some very hefty handsome prices! Nothing is cheap here in the arctic. cept snow, wind and ice.

Edited on Feb 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Feb 10, 2008 at 07:39 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Three sisters @ Whaling Festival !!

Lillian Lane, Julia Lane Kaleak (now living in Barrow)Emily Lane
Anna aka Lillian & Emily are in Pt. Hope, but during whaling festival, relatives from all over the state, come and visit for the 3 day non-stop festival.
http://majikimaje.com/images/the-girls.jpg

Each of these festival parky's are all 100% hand crafted.

The purchase price of one of these would be over 5K.
They take a long time to make, and are only worn during certain events.

Edited on Feb 11, 2008 at 05:10 AM

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Every picture tells a story.

A photograph is worth a thousand words.

We have heard those words before.

Let me tell you a short story about one photograph. You have seen it before but I didn't tell you much about this little girl.

The 100 thousand dollar "girl".. That is what I was offered for the complete rights to this image.

1983 United Bank of Alaska offered me that incredible sum of money !
but thanks to some friends very high in the Art World back East, I was advised to decline that offer and I am so glad I listened to them.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/village/daisydellafayoriginalfixed.jpg

and here is the original photograph as it was originally composed. When I saw that look on her face, I was hooked !! Two frames of film to capture that "look" The frist frame, she wasn't in this position or posture, I held my breath as she turned and gave me "that look" !

http://majikimaje.com/collection/village/daisydellafayoriginal.jpg

I knew I had a "winner" here. As soon as that shutter tripped.

But taking the undesirable elements out of the "scene" is what makes this photo so powerful.

In 2003 We had a small market study performed in Anchorage. We opened a small gallery. The response was so overwhelming. Visitors from every state in the U.S. and from over 33 countries purchased images out of our gallery.
http://majikimaje.com/rollover_1.jpg
Daisy Della Fay was always on display out front. The streets are packed with tourists in the summer time, And several times each week, we would see some one pointing to this image and saying " Oh, see. that is my daughter when she was younger. But it was never a native from the village of Point Hope.
Daisy's mother died when she was very young, then her father died from cancer a decade or so later. Daisy lives in Pt. Lay now, she has a daughter and everyone says.. her daughter is a spitting image of her momma (Daisy) when she was that age.!!!

I once had some color seperations made for this at Alaska Printing company, when they called me up to pick up the color seperations (20 x 24), when I arrived, somehow, they dissappeared. Gone, can't be found. Sure I called a lawyer, But why call "another" "crook" ? they asked -. give us another negative and we will make you another set. I ust kept walking.

This image has been stolen many times, it has made a ton of money, but bogus copies are easily spotted in this state, and I am sure that in China or Japan, or Korea or such, this image is on display, having been printed by someone else.

I have some incredibly 'hair-raising' stories coming up soon here.. on this thread.!!

True things that happen up here, that you will never believe in a zillion years.. but
.. .. .. ! Ask anyone up here, in any village !!!

With that in mind... (more to follow).

Feb 11, 2008 at 07:21 AM
vmulyk
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Have you ever considered creating a photo book (with stories) from these stunningly beautiful captures? I could not have imagined that Eskimo people still maintained this way of life!

Best Regards,
Vic

Feb 11, 2008 at 05:03 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Well, to tell the truth. the answer to that repeated question, has been typed out in great detail on the other post.! HIGH in the Arctic, Eskimo !!

short verson : Yes I have tried, I will publish something, some how, some way shortly. Many authors and publishers are trying to negotiate with me, but so far , it is for what they can get.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/ice/chesterjr.jpg

My interests lie in helping the People of Point Hope i.e. "the children" there is absolutly nothing for them to do in the village, 400+ bored children, I hear it all the time. Two people opened a "youth center" under the pretense of helping the children and give them a place where they can play and other creative endeavors.
http://majikimaje.com/collection/village/bored.jpg
In the three years this center has been functioning, with repeated grants and donations, not one thing has been done for the children.

Children are our most important precious valuable resource, ( in any culture)in all of these villages these children are being "destroyed" in the name of greed, alcohol, and drugs.!!!

Rossane Stone, 18 recently died in Pt. Hope and when the news reached us here in Barrow we were devastated beyond what words are capable of expressing.
she went to a party, passed out from the excess alcohol and choked on her vomit when passed out.

We / my sons taught her how to make Ivory bracelets, she was very interested in my son Khristopher, , We always told her, do not give in , do not drink alcohol,
Too many people get hurt from that . I have seen, way too much.

Rozella Stone is her mom, That was her sixth child she had to bury.

James Nashookpuk was her 5th to die. James was a great friend, He died in a freak accident out on the ocean ice where two machines came over the same hill at the same time.

The day after James passed on, We saw this light coming from his house, when people were visiting his wife, Jennie helping to console her. James has 10 children.

http://majikimaje.com/nash.JPG

Very sad true stories, How Rozella can face each day is beyond me, her pride and joy was her daughter Eisha, I watched this child grow up !

Rozella & her daughter always went to the store together, always !!

One day, Rozella said to Eisha 26, .. baby; go to the store and get me this and that and come right back. Eisha went to the store, right beside her house in the van, inside the store she bought this and that, (groceries). a woman named ______, approached her on the way out of the store and asked Eisha if she wanted a drink, Eisha doesn't drink alcohol, she doesn't know, it is sipped it isn't swallowed like milk or pop or water, you don't drink it that way.

Rozella is wondering where her daughter is and she looks outside to see if she can see the van, It is not at the store, it is at the airport, on fire, Eisha was burned alive, The person who was guilty of giving her this alcohol, managed to get out of the van, without a scratch, but Eisha was .. well there was nothing left of her.
The whole town saw that thick black smoke and everyone knew instantly, something was wrong..

Rozella's 4th child was Molly, a sweet sweet lady whom I have known very; very well, IN fact when I fisrt came to this village the first two people I met were Rozella & Molly.

Molly passed on in her 30's due to cancer.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/village/molly.jpg

Before that, was Ricky, my apprentice in this village. I was very close to all of Rozella's children,

The first of her Children to perish was Lazarus ! He wanted to learn photography and go into business with me. gosh.. how can that woman cope and face the day is beyond me.

Rozella is a tribal doctor of the best kind. She is the best there is in this village, and beyond, she studied under the Arctic Legend Della Keats !
In the Kotzebue hospital, there sits a doll in the display case, it is a perfect likness of Della Keats, this doll commaned a price of $10,000 ! It is a perfect likness and resemblance of this woman right down to the hair do.
Healing hands. ! She also learned from the other elders that are gifted in his manner in Pt. Hope.

I once had to have a tooth pulled here in the village, there are no dentists, or doctors here. I asked someone.. when does the dentist come ?? is there one at the clinic ? I had only been here for a couple of weeks. After the laughter subsided I was told, go see Rozella, I was used to seeing her on a daily basis as she worked in one of the construction camps I was working on. I went to her house one day and told her of my problem. she laughed, and pointed to a chair and said sit down, this was a kitchen chair, I sat down,, she turned and looked at me while she was "heating the pliers over the gas / propane stove" ?? oh oh !! Official dental type I might add.

She looked at me sitting in the chair and shook her head no ! she said. "sit on the floor" and she yelled; Rayomd! her husband came out, sat in the chair and put his legs over my shoulders !! OH OH !!! ... she approaches me with pliers, and said which one, oh my goodness no !! That tooth was out with no novicane, and I was eating steak, 15 minutes later !! That is the only way to have a tooth taken out, NO novicane, once that tooth was out, the throbbing stopped and there was no discomfort.

This is something you would have to see and experience to believe and understand. Tribal doctors are way beyond anything we know of in modern medicne today. It is far superior to anything we know of.

The tribal doctors in Pt. Hope have worked on me and my family for many years over many different problems that were always corrected in less than 15 minutes time, the price of a visit? A good size fish !!

healing hands is something, difficult to describe. For instance when I have a pinched nerve in my neck and that lump on the top of the shoulder and neck base. When this would happen to me in the states, I would need the help of a chiropracter,, ha ! Titus Nashookpuk was a tribal doctor, he passed on very recently, His touch was so gentle. When I was in this condition he would merly trace my spine with two fingers, He would have to continually wash his hands, my pain was coming out of me into his hands. He told me I am going to take this pain down your neck, across your shoulder, down your back, and out through your side.

And that is how it went, I could feel it, and what a relief,

Dorcas Rock is a Tribal doctor, who worked on my hand / fingers while waiting in line at the store ! ha ha ha ! I fell down on the ice, and trying to protect my lens and camera(s), I jammed my thumb, index finger, and middle finger, they would not bend or work and they were in much pain.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/village/Dorcas.jpg

I said to her in the check out line. Auntie, someone tell me your are tribal doctor ?

she said yes and smiled, and said " what's wrong ?" I said.adii (Ah dee) (I'm hurting)

I showed her my hand, My fingers I can't move them right, she grabbed my hand in this manner, and turned around facing front, talking to another person, her thumb was on my palm and her fingers rested lightly on the back of my hand. I felt ridiculous, standing there with my arm out, while she was facing the other direction talking. At one point she turned around and said there, I replied rather abruptlly, but you didn't do anything, she smiled and said move your fingers, WoWoW ! How did you do that ?? I never felt her fingers move or do anything, but she knew exactly where to touch me in the palm to "relax" those muscles that are "flipped".

These people know more about muscles and how they work, than any chiropractor or doctor of medicine. Eva Long, puts me to sleep when she works on my neck or back when I am having problems.

We have so much to learn from these people - North Americas Oldest People.

3,000 years of history in this one tiny spot of land !!!

Pont Hope is now a federally protected Historical Landmark.(Old town site)

http://majikimaje.com/oldtownsite/ots04mount.jpg

One good size wave, we are all fish food !!

http://majikimaje.com/DSC_9292.jpg

Edited on Feb 12, 2008 at 04:54 AM

Feb 12, 2008 at 04:53 AM
shoeless
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wow, these are awesome, thanks for sharing!

Feb 12, 2008 at 06:36 AM
Sorensiim
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I'm not religious in any way but I have a very strong feeling that you will not leave this earth before your book is published, sharing your stories and images with the world. You will also have to set up a trust fund, to use the profits from the book to help the eskimoes in Alaska in a manner that will HELP them, not just give them lots of money or useless habits.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited on Feb 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Quite a contribution you've made here... very interesting pics and stories.

Feb 12, 2008 at 04:42 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Well I just have to thank all of you.. gosh I am so amazed at your response, The number of views has literally exploded, way beyond my wildest expectations, NO ! not the number of responses, but the number of people reading this thread that have not said anything, it is YOU that I want to thank for your continued interest in this unique, informative, interesting, educational most unique mezmerising thread, now comes the bizarre, are you ready for the truth ?

Just outside of Point Hope, up there in those mountians are some very strange happenings that go on . on a regular basis up here, but no one ever hears about this, only because no one in their right mind would ever believe such nonsense.
This is Ada boat, 23 miles from the village of Point Hope, It sits on a very narrow piece of land, the ocean ice on the rear of that boat is sheer ice straight to the mountians.. full throttle for 50 miles or so.

http://majikimaje.com/collection/ice/ADABOAT2.jpg

This supply boat used to make trips up here from Kotzebue many decades ago, It has been a favorite landmark for the people of the village for whenever anyone goes hunting, this is where they stop.

Up in those mountains, in a certain spot, on top of bedrock sits a huge amount of gold in plain sight, It is everywhere, many people have tried to take some of this out of here, They all became very very sick, dogs were used to try and carry some out, the dogs died. What it is ? or what it is infected with is beyond any interest that the people of Point Hope want.

Way out in those mountains in a far away place sits a mastadon fully preserved in the side of a cliff still encased in ice, The entire skeleton is visible embedded in ice. The elders do not want anyone to take photographs of this for fear that some government agencyh or such will come and TAKE it out of this land.

Down south near Kotzebue 200 miles south and south of that near Candle sits a 20 foot mastadon tusk embedded in the side of a hill in permafrost, People go down there every year to see if any more of this is becoming visible, It is perched in a dangerous cliff and any attempt to try and get at it would result in someone getting hurt. in other words there is no safe way to get to this. cept watch year after year for this to "fall:".

During the early - mid 1900s missonaries came to the village of Point Hope to "civilize" them. All of the children cannot speak their own languare of Inupiaq today because of what these missionaries did to the people of Tikigaq.

Coming up, sneaking up behind them as they were walking and talking in Inupiaq, they would get slapped from behind.
But one of the good things that came about from one of the missionaries that came here, He didn't TAKE, as everyone wants to do when they first come here. They want to "take" something.

I did the exact opposite.. I gave !!! and this one man made the same choice. While combing the beaches in the area, he came across a portion of land by Cape Lisburne and he found an awful lot of gold. He converted that gold into lumber and built two structures, they are both visible in the photo of the children in the bathtub chasing a whale. although they are very old, the one green building on the left still remains. the two story on the right in the background no longer exists.

Well if you have some spare time:, > lets take a short trip via airplane,

Lets look, from the air and see, up close and personal what is going on up here in this vast huge unexplored & UN-inhabited area for all practical purposes.

Leaving Pt. Hope.. .. bye bye !!

http://majikimaje.com/barrow/byebyePt.Hope.jpg

A few minutes into the flight we pass the Kupak river..

Oh .. I smile BIG as I see and remember what happend to me here. TOTALLY PREPOSTEROUS! I fell off a snowmachine, 80 miles from Ada boat, that machine went right back to the exact spot we started from. (that can't happen).

That's like you, falling out of your car, and when you get home it is in the drieway.

Lets take a trip and explore some of the land here in the Arctic.

some of what I am about to tell you will seem preposterous, but just ask ANY PERSON that lives in any village from

Nome clear up to Barrow, all of the villages of the entire North Slope Region, will tell you that what I am about to TRY AND EXPLAIN is "true". Do I have photos ? not yet, but working on it, there has to be a way to prove this.

with recent giant advances in technology I am sure it will become possible to "catch" & record proof of the Ignaugalurauks.. .. The Little People, that live underground, and in caves here above the Arctic circle.

This is no legend, or folklore, as new sightings are prevelant constantly, each and every year.!!

I will tell you stories and provide photographs of all that "can be seen" in this vast huge expanse of area of several hundred thousand of square miles. THINGS HAPPEN OUT HERE.. .. ... ... that just do not make sense!!

For instance.. ha ha.. you are NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO EXPLAIN.. you have to be here to experience

these happenings, no matter what I type, you will be very skeptical and doubtful ONLY because.. you know better, this does not happen where YOU LIVE.

therefore: ??

http://majikimaje.com/barrow/mountains.jpg

Lets start.. .. at the beginning so you have a better understanding of what is going on up here.. .. frequently, reports abound.. .. in each and every village!!

This is a vast area we are talking about in square miles.

roughly the size of ALL the New England STATES put together.. .. EMPTY !!

Ok..Once upon a TIME before the whaling companies arrived .. .. .. The Ingnakalaurak's LIVED AMONG the people of Point Hope.

One of their young was eaten by a dog.. .. and they moved out of the village. These people are small, 3-4 feet in height!

They live the ol ways, to this very day, dressed in caribou skins. They still hunt with bow & arrow. They live underground, and in caves all throughout this vast area.

They possess super human qualities, that you WILL NEVER BELIEVE:

They are incredibly strong and they can run, incredibly fast.. they sneak around the villages "stealing food".

When any hunter, shoots and kills a caribou, it requires two adult Inupiaq men to lift that caribou to place on a sled. It only takes ONE Ingnakalaurak to pick one up ...........and RUN WITH IT. Over his head (person carrying animal) running, with a dead caribou. Bush Pilots have reported seeing caribou.. moving, quickly, in a horizontal position

Well, lets stop right here and let me extend an invitation to you. Anyone, come on up here, talk to the bush pilots.

They will tell you.. what they have seen with their own eyes, but you will not believe them, becuase, YOU KNOW BETTER. even though you have never been up here or heard of this before.

Come on up !! See and experience it for yourself.

HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION NOW ??

good. I have no need to lie or exagerate about any of what goes on up here. I have no problem with the truth however I do have a huge problem with Liars and phoneies. that is why I stay up here in the Arctic.. Heaven on Earth. IMHO.

Luke Koonuk Jr. was recently, out hunting, many miles from Point Hope, Imagine this, you travel hundreds of miles into a vast empty area, Luke's 4 wheel honda was stuck in the mud. He had tried and tried and tried to lift, move or budge it to get it out of the ruts to get free. He was exhausted bent over huffing and puffing, Exausted, bent over,.. .. suddenly out of the corner of his eye he sees,.............His honda rise in the air and come bouncing down on firmer ground and somethibng, a blur, was running away.

When ANY HUNTER IS LOST.. .. .. stuck. .. .. in trouble.. these people appear out of no where to assist and wisk away..Gone in a flash.

TOO MANY people up here have had too many experiences,.. .. !! I could go on and on with stories of what goes on up here and I promise to tell .. all I have experienced during my almost 3 decades of living among the Inupiaq peoples.

Hunters, experienced hunters often talk about caribou that they have shot & killed. Dead. & it disappears before they reach it.

Make no mistake, these people are very good in what they do, they are perhaps the best hunters in the world.

Jump on a 4 wheel honda or a snowmobile, and go 200 miles out into this empty region.....@ 50 below zero and stay out there for weeks... YOu see a caribou and shoot it, it falls down, motionless, they wait and watch. have a smoke. wait and watch. We do not waste time out here, driving. gas is too expensive. well over 5,00 per gallon for years up here.

That caribou is dead, said Joe Oktillik, I got on my machine and drove over those hills,. and ?? where is it? I know this is the spot, there is no blood anyplace, no tracks to the left or the right and no tracks going straight ahead...The last place I looked Joe said.. .. was up ! Caribou is gone, no tracks?

This happens a lot up here.

I am not going to waste time here tring to convince anyone. Come on up.. .. go out there.;. and see what happens. I can be your guide. Or connect you to a reputable source. The best time to come on up here, is in June during whaling festival, in Barrow; I live here now, and I am inviting any and all that wish to see, experience, life in the arctic. Although my house is small, I can comfortably fit 4 people @ any time. I have two spare rooms in my two story house here in Barrow Alaska. There are 5 adults living in this toasty warm house and two rooms to spare for any who wish to visit the Arctic @ the top of the world in Barrow. There are also a few hotels in town, but they do not offer free home cooked meals,5 times per day if necessary !!!

So lets talk about "what goes on up here in the arctic... ... ...

STRANGE THINGS YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE!!!!

there is so much more to come.!!!

This is ground zero, for finding fossil ivory, the best in the state because of the constantly changing swift currents, which are controlled by the strong winds
http://majikimaje.com/barrow/groundzero.jpg

This one of the main beaches we hunt for fossil ivory, located some 30 miles north of the village. This is one of the great hot spots for ivory due to the swift, strong, changing currents in this area. May - Sept, people live out here for weeks on end, digging, walking, moving huge rocks, climbing cliffs and searching high and low.

The end of August in one area, this fossil ivory floats up and along the beach @ midnight. That is the best time to sit and wait and watch, People stay out here, waiting for an East wind to kick up the surf, and in storms people are out, waiting watching, You can "hear" the ivory in the waves, that distinctive "ping" as gravel hits the ivory as it is tumbling in the waves, some people have tied ropes to their waist and are secured as they run into the waves to "fetch" a piece that is seen. Some of these "baseball" bat size fossil tusks fetch many thousands of dollars when sold. The darker the ivory is, the more valuable it is. Black Ivory is said to be 10,000 years old, for it to achieve that state of absorbing all of the elements of the sea, Point Hope has the most dramatic fossil Ivory that I have seen any place. In Barrow the fossil ivory is different. because it just "sits" in the sand, the patterns are dull instead of sharp, dark contrasting patterns, such as we find here in Point Hope. But non-the-less, fossil ivory is a way of life up here. After any storm, get out on your honda or just walk the shoreline, put in the time.. .. and you will find it. I guarantee you it will sell in less than a new york second and that is pretty fast !@!

After flying for an hour an a half, we come across the next village, Point Lay,

250 people, if that, Live in this village.

http://majikimaje.com/barrow/Pt.-Lay03.jpg

Very few jobs in such a tiny village, and people have to provide a way / manner in which to live without having a "job". What are the other choices ? Hunt, fish, for food, Arts & Crafts, for cash ! The Barge has arrived, which is an annual event that all villages depend upon. Seattle - Top of the World with stops in each village usually lasting 3-5 days to unload the materials needed to survive through the next winter.

The don't go whaling in Pt. Lay, too far out, too much work, they do hunt beluga whales & walrus & plents of "fish" of all types, but for whaling, different people travel to different villages to take part in which is undoublty the best two months of the year. Living out on the ocean ice .. .. just can't be put into words, I can't. The rush, the excitement, another world, another planet ! HIGH IN THE ARCTIC .. .. !!

After another 1 1/2 hours we come upon the village of Wainwright, Population about 650. Nothing else exists upon the land between these villages for "human type" cities, settlements. this vast region is empty. ?? ha ha ha !

http://majikimaje.com/barrow/wain.jpg

People, ?? have been spotted, observed, in all of these village areas, during the winter time, when it is dark out, & even when "light" out, as was reported by many individuals one July in 1988. It was about 2:a.m. in the moring, sun is bright and just like 2 in the afternoon in the summer, nice and bright.

3 different individuals from three different homes, looked out their kitchen window, toward.. Kamaqtoak "this was their view"

http://majikimaje.com/Kamaktoaq2.jpg

this image and the snow fence way off to the left side,

http://majikimaje.com/images/bishop1.JPG

This event took place between the 2 large whale bones and the snow fence. I must admit when I first heard this.. from a close friend, I did not beieve it one bit, then another person from a different house told me the same story, I still did not believe. Then a person who witnessed this told me what he had seen.. I was shocked, astounded and my mouth was hanging wide open, only because this person was not an Eskimo.

I had known him for many years, and we spoke quite often and I was amazed at his articulate speech & intelligence, He was very well educated in California.

When Joe Cassados told me this story the hair stood right up on the back of my neck.

This was a different Joe, 800 miles away, near Nome. Joe Garney, He has been on television on the history channel and I have met him in person and we spoke for over 4 hours, whew.

But Joe Cassados in Pt. Hope was telling me what he saw during the daylight hours. Something black, darker than black, was "spooked" behind the snowfence, looking, agitated, scared. He darted out from behind the snow fence and ran to the bones @ Kamaktauk. He is scared, hyper-active, peeking from out behind the big bone, looking in all directions scared, This "blacker than black" figure is noticeably very afraid of "something' ?

Then this figure all "black" - blacker than black. darted out from behind the bones and started to run back towards the snowfence. STOPPED. half way... and just a figure skater will spin, on the ice... this figure began to spin,.. ... on the dry tundra,...

and went down, down, down, clear out of sight !

Joe Garney in a small village near Nome Alaska tells a story much similiar of blacker than black figure with red eyes.. walking acrouss the tundra as the figure is going down down .. just like it is walking down "invisible stairs".

Quite a few sightings in the last couple of years in Point Hope of these red eyed figures, Darting quickly under a house, and disappearing.

One particular hunting cabin outside of the village near some very old graves, this cabin had to be burned down and destroyed. Stranger than strange events took place on a very regular basis here. Witnessed by too many people from Pt.Hope reported, hearing someone knocking on the door, Faces in windows when no one else was around. Objects flying through the air inside of the house. This house was burned down because of the repeated freaky events that took place on a regular basis.

Recently as in two weeks ago, on the radio station in Barrow a 1 hour program was on the radio telling the people of this village and other villages to quit talking about what goes on up here.
They fear the worst from outsiders wanting to take and ruin this land and its unique ways and peoples.

Go to any village,.. ha ha ha.!!! just ask about "hoofman" and in Barrow he is called Tuttu man He has been spotted in every village above the arctic circle and was spotted in a bar in Kotzebue, many years ago, too many people have seen this ?? He is human from the waist up, but has the legs & hoofs of a caribou.

Edited on Feb 13, 2008 at 06:28 AM

Feb 13, 2008 at 06:24 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password