Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2008 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Majik_Imaje
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Yes ! it is 30 below zero, here in the Arctic, Point Hope Alaska,

7 miles out on the ocean ice pack on the Chukchi Sea in the Bering Strait of upper Alaska 200 miles above the Arctic circle,

Here are a few of my "friends" !!

Kathy Rock - Age 10. I approached this child as she was sitting on the seat of a snowmachie, miles out on the frozen ocean ice pack. As I brought the camera up to create a striking image of this child, she began to smile, I said no, please do not do that. I am not even here, look past me, through me. I spent 1/2 hour with this child talking to her, then I saw that "look" .. yes ! yes ! -=[click]=- That is exactly what I wanted. I only exposed one frame of film.

Temperatures of minus 50 below zero - two Inupiaq Eskimo teenage girlfriends pose for me, dressed in traditional native dress.
Inupiaq clothing is very light and extremly warm, all expertly hand made, sewn together using.. .. "dental floss' because of its much needed strength. We cannot have a seam, rip open at these temps when you are many miles away from any type of shelter.

My all time favorite image of thirty years in the Arctic:

Daisy Della Fay - Age 3

Grandmother & Grandfather - Aaka & Aapa - Lilly & Donald, Lilly hand made each of these parky's, The Kupaks (fancy trim) at the bottom of Donald's parky are all hand made using "beads".

These are the Great Grandparents of my four Inupiaq sons !

Edited by Majik_Imaje on Feb 18, 2008 at 07:48 AM GMT

Edited on Feb 18, 2008 at 04:48 PM

Feb 06, 2008 at 11:51 PM
ronmark
• •
p.1 #2 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I really like these. Thanks for posting. I'm a winter camper and I get excited by a nice pair of muckaluks.

Feb 07, 2008 at 12:02 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #3 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thanks for the kind words. Winter camping ? We do that a lot.

In fact, these hunters sleep outside @ 50 below zero with no tents, for two months !! Just to gather food, to eat and survive in this incredibly harsh unforgiving climate.

This is home for two months 24/ 7 right here.

This image was created precisely @ midnight in mid May
The same is true with the image below this one.

Umiliaq (whaling captain) Rex Rock scanning the horizon @ midnight, searching for signs of animals migrating through the narrow lead opening 7 miles out on the ocean ice pack.

Feb 07, 2008 at 12:20 AM
bobl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Really inspiring images! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Feb 07, 2008 at 01:00 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #5 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I was sent to this village, to wire two construction camps. A three week job.
When the job was successfully finished, and inspected, I quit the company and stayed here. That was 30 years ago, and I am still here !!!

This young future whaling captain, stands proud to display his new parky at whaling festival held each June in the villages.

My good friend, Pete, > Military intelligence is an oxymoron, Take an Eskimo @ 50 below zero and stick him in the jungles of Vietnam @ 100 above!
Pete was drafted in the late 60's to serve in Vietnam, although he served his country well, he will never be the same after experiencing the horrors of war.

Pete longs to go back to the old ways, he makes his living finding fossil ivory which is rare and extremly valuable.

Edited on Feb 07, 2008 at 01:21 AM

Feb 07, 2008 at 01:19 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #6 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Children playing out @ 40 below zero, Easter Sunday morning 9:00 a.m.

These children are chasing a bowhead whale, they are copying or mimicking their parents.

Notice the sled under their "boat" , there is a reason for that !

The sled is use to prevent the skin on the umiaq (skin boat) from tearing on the sharp edges of the ocean ice.

The women sleep in tents 1/2 - 3/4 a mile back on much safer ocean ice.

at night when these women go to sleep in the tents, they have a boyer to watch over the tent and over them to protect them and keep them warm.

Hand your lighter and matches over to this boyer, he will need them.

His job is to stay awake all night long by himself alone. Keep that woodstove lit and fired up just right. Chop wood and keep that stove burning.

His other chores include melting snow to wash dishes and clean out thermoses, make fresh hot coffee, tea & hot chocolate, bring those thermoses down to the lead to the hunters,

THIS IS A 3 YEAR OLD CHILD !!!

I have met and observed many such boyers in my 5 whale hunts.

These children are taught at a very; early age how to handle that kind of responsiblity and much more. He is armed with many rifles in case of a polar bear attack.. ..3 years old !!

Feb 07, 2008 at 03:01 AM
garay002
• •
p.1 #7 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wow, very nice pictures!

Feb 07, 2008 at 03:04 AM
Scott Legato
• • •
p.1 #8 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

That was great, reading the stories behind the pics. Thamks so much for sharing. Very interesting stuff

Feb 07, 2008 at 03:32 AM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #9 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Your photos and first-hand stories are both inspiring!
George

Feb 07, 2008 at 03:42 AM
Steve Carlton
• • •
p.1 #10 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Very much enjoyed this thread! I see on your website that you sell these photos (too cheap!) and other arts and crafts. I really enjoy Eskimo carvings.

Feb 07, 2008 at 03:44 AM

Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #11 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you Steve, and everyone else !

Inupiaq Eskimo carvings are sought world wide. The demand grows larger every year.

As far as the price of my prints.. post-cards, note-cards and such, I am not greedy, and that is one of the reasons for my huge success.

I do not want to sell a few large framed matted / signed numbered prints for 200 -500 dollars each, I would much rather sell many tens of thousands of them @ 20 bux each !!

Back to topic: Arctic models: not quite what you or anyone else expected I bet, but I needed / wanted a title, to draw people into this thread.

and the People section seemed just the right place to show off these, "Inupiaq Eskimo models" .. .. in a setting of their natural habitat.

It sorta gives you something to think about, the next time you sit down to eat supper, or do the dishes !!

Delicious hot food, served 3 - 5 times each and every day, sit, eat, wait and watch, 24/7 right here. for two months !!!

But someone has to do the dishes, clean the cups. people are thirsty !

How do you think, we get delicious fresh drinking water, 7 miles out on a frozen salt water ice pack We melt snow for washing dishes and cleaning, but snow, .. tastes yuk, no matter what you mix it with.
but for delicous fresh drinking water, (700+ people are out here,) that requires a lot of water for drinking & cooking !! Where ? how ? Yes fresh water frozen ice can be transported out here, on sleds, but that is way too much work.

Take any large piece of ice and stand it up, brush the snow off the top and most of the sides, now wait,

As the sun beats down on that piece of ice, in time it will become clear, the longer ou wait, the more of that ice becomes crystal clear, in other words, you can actually watch the salt settle in that piece of frozen ice. Now walk over with your kettle and ice pick and chop that ice horizontally from the top down for a small section, and let the sun do its job !! We can speed up this process by placing that piece of ice on sand.

INUPIAQ TECHNOLOGY: "time tested for many thousands of years" !

Happy happy people, that never complain about anything !!

Feb 07, 2008 at 04:15 AM
Brian Lingle
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I was moved by your photos and the stories that go with them. Thank you.

Feb 07, 2008 at 04:20 AM
Steve Carlton
• • •
p.1 #13 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

This is "Dancing Bear." He'll stand on either foot. I believe the artist's name is Johnny Pulat.

Edited on Feb 07, 2008 at 05:13 AM

Feb 07, 2008 at 05:13 AM
Brian Lingle
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

! Love the bear!

Feb 07, 2008 at 05:16 AM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wow, fantastic stories and pics!

Feb 07, 2008 at 05:30 AM
keithmills37
• • •
p.1 #16 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I can't even imagine what those temperatures feel like !!! I have a 4 year old and I can't imagine her even coming close to understanding that kind of responsibility..........Great photos, thanks for posting them...

Feb 07, 2008 at 05:46 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #17 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you all, for taking the time.

I am going to end this post here. The interest generated has amazed me beyond my highest expectations!

HIGH in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !! has been posted on 50 photo forums all over the internet. Each one is somewhat different using the same images and different stories associated with the images. Only two subjects were copied and pasted: Info on polar bears and what is an Igloo ?

I am going to post a complete new longer more detailed version here with lots, & lots more photos of images I have created out on that ice pack.

10 months well below zero, sleeping outside. freezing my ASA / ISO off!

I processed this film myself, I had no running water, in fact I had no water at all. I had to use snow, melted, cleaned, sifted through towels, heated to the correct temp. etc.

I hope you enjoy, this most unique bizzare series of events, as they unfolded.

So as I leave, or better yet, I shall put you on hold, such as companies do on the phone, and they play "musak", while you wait !!

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Luke.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Henry.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/Irma.wmv

http://majikimaje.com/Dance/TheEnd.wmv

Edited on Feb 07, 2008 at 08:15 AM

Feb 07, 2008 at 08:13 AM
senna4ever
• • •
p.1 #18 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

These are great! It would be a dream of mine to do what you do. What film did you use for you project?

Feb 07, 2008 at 09:12 AM
tmronin
• • •
p.1 #19 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

wow...what a great read. thx for posting.

Feb 07, 2008 at 09:14 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.1 #20 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

The film I used has been discontinued:

but to answer your question: Vericolor VPS

Vericolor Professional Film for Short exposures.

Let me impart something to you, as a photographer, something I learned long long ago. Stick with one film, it doesn 't matter which film you use. Just learn how to use that one film to its full potential.

I prefer Kaptain Kodak The K is for Konsistency !!

Feb 07, 2008 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password