FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              18       19       end

Archive 2008 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Alistair Watson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Personally I can't see why using the AF-ON or * would cause a problem on Henry's 1D3, if the body has a focus problem it will have a focus regardless of how AF is actually started.

Dvarnav, I like separating the focussing and exposing off to the * or AF-ON button since I find it more comfortable to shoot action stuff this way, the shutter button I use only to trigger the shutter.

Feb 05, 2008 at 03:59 AM
dvarnav
• •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Alistair I just cant figure how its easier to use two fingers instead one finger for a quick shot

Feb 05, 2008 at 04:11 AM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

I guess it is just practice and your own style of shooting. When I photograph rugby I pretty much have the AF-ON or * button depressed for most of the game. My right thumb on the AF-ON and my left hand on top of the 400mm makes it quite comfortable to turn the camera/lens quickly and accurately, track moving targets etc.,

When I first discovered it, I thought the same as you but since then have always used it, unless I am in a studio then I revert to the shutter button for everything.

Feb 05, 2008 at 04:19 AM
dvarnav
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Alistair:Your point is very usefull to me I will try it again and I would express the touch with that aproach.

The best way that R&D Canon should have worked should be as follows

1. Check the defective cameras that Robert G. did send them to Canon
2. Compare the shoots made from defective cameras to those that are not fixed (any fix old + new+beta firmware etc) find out what is the real trouble maker and then resume the whole situation by repeating the error.
3. Remove the temprature conditions as a troublemaker or make a real proof that how temperatures over a certain degree could make Ai focus problems.
4. Finally and after giving the final fix to VIP testers to check it for one week then make the announcement.

If that is so painfull for an one year product I have to remind to Canon that EOS1 (D-Ds) is now the flasgship product and it should be the flagship performance technology of all the Canon's product.

Feb 05, 2008 at 05:26 AM
Galibier
• •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Red, I was referring to the original problem with the M8 involving the lack of an IR filter on the sensor. Were you not aware of that issue? The new announcement regarding the M8 is styled an "upgrade" and carries a stiff fee, when in fact it appears to be designed to eliminate vibrations caused by what might be considered a defective shutter. Would you prefer Canon's response to be, "Send in your Mark III for an expensive upgrade, and we will fix the problems with your AF?" It's hard to imagine that would be more well received than repairing the problem under warranty.

Feb 05, 2008 at 08:43 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Brent Ward wrote:
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. People have been using the * to focus for years with no issues.

That's because there didn't use to be the AF-ON button.

I don't use * any more, I use AF-ON. I doubt it makes a difference. But were I having issues with AF, I'd certainly *try* using AF-ON instead of * just to see.

Feb 05, 2008 at 10:32 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

DavidP wrote:
That's because there didn't use to be the AF-ON button.

I don't use * any more, I use AF-ON. I doubt it makes a difference. But were I having issues with AF, I'd certainly *try* using AF-ON instead of * just to see.

Welllllllllllllllllll... it seems that they don't think you can use any of the back focus buttons. When I asked why they would put them there if you weren't supposed to use them, the response was "I don't have the camera I am just telling you what I have been told." It will be interesting as I have a phone appointment with the "senior tech" who came up with this brain fart tonight at 6:30 so I can't wait to hear his/her explanation.

Feb 05, 2008 at 10:39 AM
mill4570
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

For those who use the * for AF on older 1 Series cameras, Canon included a CF to swap the function of the AF-On and the * buttons on the MKIII. If for what ever reason, this is not working correctly, Canon should say so in some public forum. If the AF-On button can not be used for focus, that is an even bigger issue. That is like saying the shutter release can not be used to take a picture. As David pointed out, I would try to use the AF-On and the shutter release to start AF just so I could tell Canon, I have tried every way I know and the problem doesn't change.

Henry, I believe you are beating your head on a wall with this group of "techs". You need to talk to someone in the Engineering group.

Richard K.

Feb 05, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

dvarnav wrote:
Alistair I just cant figure how its easier to use two fingers instead one finger for a quick shot

I also started using it to keep track of focus. I would find myself lifting my finger all the way off the shutter button in a burst and that would stop focus momentarily. Then when I pushed back down it would have to re acquire lock and start shooting again. With the * pushed and firing then stop and start again it has been tracking all along.

Feb 05, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

mill4570 wrote:
For those who use the * for AF on older 1 Series cameras, Canon included a CF to swap the function of the AF-On and the * buttons on the MKIII. If for what ever reason, this is not working correctly, Canon should say so in some public forum. If the AF-On button can not be used for focus, that is an even bigger issue. That is like saying the shutter release can not be used to take a picture. As David pointed out, I would try to use the AF-On and the shutter release to start AF just so
...Show more

At this point, I want to talk to someone in legal.

Feb 05, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

TurnerPhotos wrote:
I will be waiting before I buy my second one!!!

I will be waiting before I buy my first one!!!

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 05, 2008 at 11:55 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

I have experimented with all three methods on my MK III in AI Servo. *, AF on, and shutter button each one works identically to the other and there is no difference in focus acquisition or tracking. I find the back buttons much easier for Servo therefore I have it set to the * button. So In my opinion this is not the cause of any focus issues.

Edited on Feb 05, 2008 at 01:19 PM

Feb 05, 2008 at 01:19 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Bruce Sawle wrote:
I have experimented with all three methods on my MK III in AI Servo. *, AF on, and shutter button each one works identically to the other and there is no difference in focus acquisition or tracking. I find the back buttons much easier for Servo therefore I have it set to the * button. So In my opinion this is not the cause of any focus issues.

I'm sure it isn't. They're just being stupid at this point.

Feb 05, 2008 at 01:20 PM
PasiM
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Here´s one devoted AF-ON user too.
Tried all three focusing options and results are poor each way.

Feb 05, 2008 at 02:08 PM
apdieb
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

dvarnav wrote:

It is useful for metering with one button and focusing with the other separately. Also allows you to lock focus...let go and then press shutter when you want, instead of it always reacquiring focus every time you half press the shutter button.

BTW: Been using * and/or AF-On for years... Working fine on my MKIII.

Andrew

Edited on Feb 05, 2008 at 02:59 PM

Feb 05, 2008 at 02:57 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Holy ......!!
I got my III back in mid January. It was better, but I've not been totally confident in the fix, and I thought it should have been better, yet. Never did come close to my old-I-wish-I still-owned MarkIIN!
I've seen where people use the live view and manual focus, and that works great! But at $4500, and "the best auto focus camera in the world", one shouldn't have to manually focus to get it right!!
I wonder when

Edited on Feb 05, 2008 at 03:10 PM

Feb 05, 2008 at 03:05 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Using the old saying "the third time's the charm" I'd hold off sending the 1DIII in until the next fix comes out.

"Oh yes... we've reeeeallly figured out what the problem is this time! "

Feb 05, 2008 at 03:20 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

But how many of us will jump in line for the 1D-IV?

Feb 05, 2008 at 04:51 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

DavidP wrote:
But how many of us will jump in line for the 1D-IV?

Only after you have bought it and told me it is ok!

Feb 05, 2008 at 04:58 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · New AF fix for 1D mkIII

Alistair Watson wrote:
Only after you have bought it and told me it is ok!

Let's try to look on the bright side here. If Canon is as slow getting out this fix as it was the sub mirror repair and they extend the warranty again, you won't have to pay for a repair until 2010.

Feb 05, 2008 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.