Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2008 · Canon EF 1200mm
taffy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF 1200mm


Trawling through our local internet buy and sell site and came across this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Camera-accessories/Lenses/Canon/auction-136607550.htm

If I had this I could see you guys up in the northern hemisphere


Edited on Jan 17, 2008 at 08:53 AM



Jan 17, 2008 at 08:52 AM
PierreB
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF 1200mm


I'm a fan of long lenses but I think I'll have to give this one a miss. What a great opportunity for someone to pick up a Canon legend.


Jan 17, 2008 at 09:14 AM
taffy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF 1200mm


PierreB wrote:
I'm a fan of long lenses but I think I'll have to give this one a miss. What a great opportunity for someone to pick up a Canon legend.


$125k is a LOT of cash even in NZ$ Tried to swap my wife for it but he still wanted some cash



Jan 17, 2008 at 09:30 AM
PierreB
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF 1200mm


I think he's going to have a hard time shifting it if he doesn't accept wives / girlfriends. NZ$125 is around 50 grand UK pounds and with the new 800mm likely to come in at around a 10th of that, I don't expect he will get many bids.




Jan 17, 2008 at 09:39 AM
cwphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF 1200mm


Bogus sale.


Jan 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Colin Key
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF 1200mm


cwphoto wrote:
Bogus sale.


Agree, this is a bogus ad. States that there are only 7 in the world, but then goes on to say how many have been produced a year since.......

I have also see the same guy with the same lens in other shots.

It is a known fact that all those produced (I read somewhere that it is between 3 and 5 a year) are "snapped up" by the US Navy and other "government agencies".

Colin



Jan 17, 2008 at 01:06 PM
cwphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EF 1200mm


Colin Key wrote:
It is a known fact that all those produced (I read somewhere that it is between 3 and 5 a year) are "snapped up" by the US Navy and other "government agencies".


eh?



Jan 17, 2008 at 01:17 PM
bobsofpa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EF 1200mm


Colin Key wrote:
It is a known fact that all those produced (I read somewhere that it is between 3 and 5 a year) are "snapped up" by the US Navy and other "government agencies".

Colin


That is BS. Oh, by the way B&H does have one of these lenses for sale in their Used Department for US$99,000.



Jan 17, 2008 at 01:24 PM
EOS20
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EF 1200mm


cwphoto wrote:
Bogus sale.


I agree, If he had the lens, why is he using one of the most common 1200mm photos on the net? You would think he would have a real picture of the lens.

Looks like a scam to me.....




Jan 17, 2008 at 01:49 PM
Colin Key
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EF 1200mm


cwphoto wrote:
eh?


Just "Google" around and you will find the info; these were designed as "snoopers" for military and government intelligence agencies.

My last recollection of such use was by the British Police in photographing an Al-Qaeda terrorist training camp in the English Lake District (where I have a home) prior to the London Underground suicide bombings. A single officer spent five weeks on secondment disguised as a tourist (how anyone can disguise themselves with that lens defeats me!).

To the other @nus who just replied BS, I would respond with FO.

Colin



Jan 17, 2008 at 01:52 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



gerov
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EF 1200mm


Colin,
Sports Illustrated has at least one of these, as does Jim Jennard, founder of Oakley (sunglasses). Not all of them are in government hands.



Jan 17, 2008 at 02:02 PM
Doug Bentlage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EF 1200mm


Colin Key wrote:
Just "Google" around and you will find the info; these were designed as "snoopers" for military and government intelligence agencies.

My last recollection of such use was by the British Police in photographing an Al-Qaeda terrorist training camp in the English Lake District (where I have a home) prior to the London Underground suicide bombings. A single officer spent five weeks on secondment disguised as a tourist (how anyone can disguise themselves with that lens defeats me!).

To the other @nus who just replied BS, I would respond with FO.

Colin



Congratulations Colin, I heard that you recently finished reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People"...............but are you sure that you read ALL the chapters?



Jan 17, 2008 at 02:19 PM
Andrew J
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EF 1200mm


This gentleman owns one and handheld it for this shot:
http://flickr.com/photos/poliza/110427864/



Jan 17, 2008 at 04:35 PM
gerov
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EF 1200mm


Andrew, Shhhhhhhh - he works for the CIA - you know, one of those "government organizations"


Jan 17, 2008 at 04:39 PM
jam51
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EF 1200mm


Waiting for the IS version.


Jan 17, 2008 at 05:15 PM
gerov
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EF 1200mm


jam51 wrote:
Waiting for the IS version.






Jan 17, 2008 at 05:22 PM
nathanlake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EF 1200mm


Hey..good news. Canon claims it is compatible with the both 1.4 and 2x teleconverters. A cheap way to get a 2400mm lens.


Jan 17, 2008 at 06:24 PM
piotrart
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EF 1200mm


jam51 wrote:
Waiting for the IS version.


... and DO




Jan 17, 2008 at 06:26 PM
Phast1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EF 1200mm


I'm waiting for f/2.8 version with IS.




Jan 17, 2008 at 06:45 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password