Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3603      
       3605              4275       4276       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3604 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The problem with HDR is that often the people employing it don't truly understand what the theory and intent behind HDR is and then proceed to crank all the sliders to 11 (which is somewhere between eyes bleeding and brain aneurysm) and call it artistic when really it's horrible to the average photographer. The problem then becomes that more people that don't understand what it is that they're doing will look at that, and, thanks to the new standard operating procedure of facebook/flickr/etc of everything being amazing, and negative comments being frowned upon, they will only get comments on how amazing it is.

This shot is a 5 shot HDR.

Take Time To Reflect by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM
went
• • •
p.3604 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steven, a really clean, quality shot which doesn't look like HDR at all, superb !

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3604 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

went wrote:
Tim, you forgot to clean under the wings

That's ok, it's the grunge look. I won't have that problem this year. When they show up in September the wings will be full of bondo, painted, and smooth as glass, just like Strega's.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3604 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7823776670_850fc85f4b_c.jpg
Take Time To Reflect by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

That is really nice. I never have like the cartoon over the top HDR's.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice work Brian! Was that today? If so, you had better conditions than the 400OVC/1M that engulfed KTKI most of the day.

Don't let the pics trick you, we almost didn't get out due to low ceiling, Yellow Rose cancelled due to that as well. Today started off almost as bad down there but cleared up for the afternoon. 30+mph winds, just not an easy thing to get prop blur in lol

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Those conditions, however, were perfect for focusing on completing my staircase. Should have been done six months ago, but I don't have Glenn around to shame me into finishing projects. Next step, caulk/prime and a couple of coats of Ben Moore's best stuff.

Looking truly awesome. An appropriately sized Texas flag too I might add

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
Maybe we can do a Georgetown airport field trip that weekend - there wont be any control tower to tell us where we cant go!

Glenn

I should be free and clear to do all those things, just let me know the game plan for tickets etc and we'll roll with it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beth took it right over my head on the photo pass, and primes can't back up

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:05 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Check 6

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:29 AM
dtw757
• •
p.3604 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice^^^^^^^

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Deep
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3604 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steven, I'd be curious to know how you processed that. Were the five exposures combined and then adjusted with sliders/curves? Or did you use layers and masks?

I've never been satisfied with the look I've gotten from the HDR process in Photoshop, so I've always found myself layering the exposures instead.

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:11 AM
ironhide

p.3604 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brilliant work all round everyone! Mr Wilson, really nice work on making those houses look a million dollars

I haven't really picked up the camera in a while, preferring to do this instead -

I know many of you appreciate Darren Heath's work (@F1Photographer). Well here is an interview with the man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnvFR4XjWM Interesting that little bit about banging the 1DX while walking and McLaren helping him out in typical fashion.

- Ram

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:41 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3604 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mike Deep wrote:
Steven, I'd be curious to know how you processed that. Were the five exposures combined and then adjusted with sliders/curves? Or did you use layers and masks?

I've never been satisfied with the look I've gotten from the HDR process in Photoshop, so I've always found myself layering the exposures instead.

I did that one using photomatix I believe. Most of the built in base settings aren't so great, but with tweaking I've always liked the results. I've used photoshops HDR, I found it has good results if you work it just right, but I've just always been more partial to Photomatix.

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:35 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3604 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Ironhide,

Thanks! Nothin' wrong with putting your camera down and your feet up! Especially in that environment.

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.3604 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I spent a lot of yesterday going back through the images and I think I've covered the majority of them going back to mid Sept. There are some VERY impressive shots both from the ground & in the air along with many nicely tweaked shots using different software for interesting effects. Hopefully keeping up from here on will keep inspiring how I shoot this summer & in the fall when Vintage Wings Canada holds their show. It's the only full scale show I've attended with good gear & an idea of what makes a good photo in the form of prop blur etc. Shutter speeds for full scale are much lower than the R/C's when it comes to prop blur & I spent a lot of time experimenting while enjoying the show, but it paid off.
So far I haven't found any photos from the event in this thread so I'll add some starting with a couple of the Lanc which drew me there. Leftcoast Mike used some connections to confirm that this Lanc had been stationed in Greenwood back when I was a kid & my father would have served as crew on it so I wanted to get a few shots of it while it's still doing the show circuit.

These were another common sight during my childhood.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So with the 35mph gusty winds that I was fighting at the show this weekend, a very obvious question arose in my head and I only could figure one answer. How do you fight winds like that while trying to pan and get good prop blur? The only thing I could do is increase shutter but that reduces the blur. I went slower on a few and caught lucky breaks between gusts but that wasn't really expanding my envelope. So, just curious if anyone here has any advice should I or anyone else encounter that type of situation. Thanks

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3604 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
So with the 35mph gusty winds that I was fighting at the show this weekend, a very obvious question arose in my head and I only could figure one answer. How do you fight winds like that while trying to pan and get good prop blur? The only thing I could do is increase shutter but that reduces the blur. I went slower on a few and caught lucky breaks between gusts but that wasn't really expanding my envelope. So, just curious if anyone here has any advice should I or anyone else encounter that type of situation. Thanks

The winds howl in Reno every afternoon, you just have to try to tuck your arm in against your body as your panning, and live with the fact that your just not going to get as many keepers as you would on a calm day.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:26 PM
J Mosher
• •
p.3604 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm heading down to Southern Utah/ Northern Arizona this weekend for a much needed photo excursion. Getting a little antsy and I was going over some old images. Found this B-1 from Aviation Nation 2012. Enjoy.

JM

Mar 11, 2013 at 07:51 PM
BillyBlaylock

p.3604 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Saturday afternoon my eldest son called me at work (yeah it was my weekend at work - yuck) all excited that he saw what he thought was a B-29 fly over while he was at a friends house. This friend lives near the airport that hosts the local EAA chapter so I quickly checked the website and told him it was probably not the only flying B-29 because it was not in the state but it could have been one of the B-17's that they have at chapter events. He was thoroughly excited and could not wait to go see it after church on Sunday.

Since I had to work I gave him my old camera and asked him to bring back plenty of pictures and tell me all about it. I put the camera on program mode and told him to raise the flash if needed. He came back with a big smile and a CF card full of WWII history. It turns out that it was a B-17F that was used in the movie 'Memphis Belle'. I think he did OK considering it was a nasty overcast day with gusty winds, a thunderstorm moving in and the fact that he is twelve.

Memphis Belle by Geaux Jr:

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:32 PM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3604 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

12 years old and props in motion .. I'd say he did very well !! Congrats !

I believe I shot this gal in MD last year.

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password