FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3603      
       3605              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3604 #1 · p.3604 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ah yes, I know that Beechcraft...."Oil........it brings good things to life!"............

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3604 #2 · p.3604 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
What we need is a piece of ground like this, but just a little bigger to accommodate a grass strip........

A gorgeous property Jim. I'm looking at the surrounding vegetation and wondering how many big 'ol Texas Whitetails call this area home

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:33 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3604 #3 · p.3604 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Speaking of the good life, our little venture took another monumental step forward yesterday. I may own a Stearman and a Tweet in pretty short order. Better call Gibson-Barnes and get another helmet, with an oxy mask. Good news is, we have an Air Force mechanic who specializes in T-37's and a good friend who has a jillion hours instructing in them, and an FBO who just loves to sell JetA.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:37 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3604 #4 · p.3604 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sure there is abundant wildlife traversing that little spot. It's just outside the KTKI airspace, to the SE. Normally the lake would be much closer in the background. I'd like to find a piece of ground around there that is about four times that size, without a house on it. Much of that is Corps of Engineers land so you wouldn't have to worry too much about people complaining about an air strip. And, it'd be a short hop for the Super Legend on amphibs. Well, from HQ it would be a short hop period, about four minutes by Cub.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:42 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3604 #5 · p.3604 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From the late 1920's to about 1973, there was a nationwide system of lighted airways with rotating beacons every ten miles or so along designated routes. I understand the state of Montana still maintains and operates a few beacons in the mountainous western half of the state.

When I was growing up we used to see the airway beacon flashing atop Kitattiny Mountain near Belvidere, NJ, on clear nights. The NY-SF lighted airway system was still operational in the late 1960's, even though by then radio navigation had long since come to the fore. It fired my youthful imagination to think of the airmail pilots and early airline pilots finding their way across the country, in the dark, guided by these flashing guideposts.

In the early 1980's I had a commercial glider operation at Granby, CO, during the summers. In a corner of an old hangar there I came across the decommissioned airway beacon that had been installed on top of Corona Pass as part of the LA-Denver airway. I wish I'd had the foresight to buy it, but I was a young whippersnapper, with no thought to the historical aspect of the thing.

These days, about the only evidence you can still see of the old airway beacon system is the concrete pads, shaped like giant arrows, that the beacon towers and generator shacks were built on. If this link works you can zoom in on the satellite view showing three of the beacon sites, with their arrow-shaped concrete pads still visible. These are around St George, UT, on the Las Vegas-Milford segment of the LA-Denver airway.

Airway beacon sites near St George

The good folks of Cibola County, NM, have restored an airway beacon and generator shack relocated to the grounds of the Grants-Milan Airport. They're also restoring an old Flight Service Station (remember those, with their wet-process facsimile machines and clacking Teletypes?), ca. 1953. I'll have to go pay them a visit.

http://www.cibolahistory.org/aviation-heritage-museum.html

Here endeth the aviation history lesson for today...

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:06 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3604 #6 · p.3604 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks Rusty. The 5D3 is a great camera and I'm sure you'd enjoy using one. It is even a better photographic platform if you can get Zim to train the pixels like he did on mine

Jeff, If I get partial credit for the fabulous work you produce with the 5D3 I sold you, well...I'll take it!

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3604 #7 · p.3604 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very cool information Steve. Makes me wonder if we have any of these installations in AZ and have survived the ravages of time? Further research is clearly needed

Here is Airman Lawrence Welk Jr. directing a quartet of Emerald Knights at Luke.

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3604 #8 · p.3604 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Terrific early morning light at LAX makes this heavy almost look handsome

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Aviationbuff
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3604 #9 · p.3604 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Early Morning Flight

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3604 #10 · p.3604 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Early morning walk...

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3604 #11 · p.3604 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This may have been posted here already, although I do not recall if it has.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142300/Crashed-plane-Second-World-War-pilot-Dennis-Copping-discovered-Sahara-desert.html

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3604 #12 · p.3604 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A solemn ceremony that has to be seen.

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:35 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3604 #13 · p.3604 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
This may have been posted here already, although I do not recall if it has.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142300/Crashed-plane-Second-World-War-pilot-Dennis-Copping-discovered-Sahara-desert.html

Thanks Colin. I don't remember if it was here, but I know I read that story before. Seems they may have found the pilot's remains, although as of this past May they were not yet sure.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2321443/Mystery-WWII-airman-went-missing-desert-Family-devastated-told-bones-near-downed-craft-tested-DNA.html

Mark

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3604 #14 · p.3604 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't think I've ever posted this before. In2007 we went on a package holiday to Corsica - somewhere I've always wanted to visit - the weather was abysmal, it rained enough to need an Ark. However, our charter airliner on the way out and back was this!!
Niall

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3604 #15 · p.3604 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a cockpit video of the Hinton clan flying Voodoo, another P-51 and a T-33 as they arrived at Reno this year.

http://youtu.be/IYjWQYT20R0

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:13 AM
jfrickmann

p.3604 #16 · p.3604 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Some great plane pictures here! This beauty was "parked" near Winterhaven FL. It is a Republic Seabee.

... and in bw:

By the way, this is my first post here. Seems like a nice place to hang out

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3604 #17 · p.3604 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rare Bear returns from a test flight just after sunset, trailing steam from the boil-off cooling system.

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3604 #18 · p.3604 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey J.

Yes, it is a nice place to hang out in. As far as message boards go, where else can you go to see a thread like this. The conversations are enlightening, as well as cover a very broad range of subject matter. Whenever you want, join in the discussions and please do post more images when you can.

Regards, Colin

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:37 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3604 #19 · p.3604 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
I don't think I've ever posted this before. In2007 we went on a package holiday to Corsica - somewhere I've always wanted to visit - the weather was abysmal, it rained enough to need an Ark. However, our charter airliner on the way out and back was this!!
Niall

Did it have Aces High playing over the intercom during the flight?

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:24 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3604 #20 · p.3604 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

More importantly, was Bruce flying it?!

Very pretty Seabee, J. Welcome!

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM
       3605              4533       4534       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell