FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3546      
       3548              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3547 #1 · p.3547 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Waiting for the light to change so I have a few minutes to talk Blad lenses. The 150 and 250 were great favorites of mine, as was the 40 (one of those lenses you just buy to stare at), the 50 was a good one as well. Never got a 500, just too unwieldy. Shot with a 350 a little, but again, lots of mass.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:17 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #2 · p.3547 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spent three hours gelling windows, tweaking lights, adding/subtracting, I think I'm there on this image......

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:37 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #3 · p.3547 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://www.hillwood.com/Home.aspx

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #4 · p.3547 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The days of profitable stock are not completely dead, just sold this image for a grand, unlimited use, 1 year

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3547 #5 · p.3547 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks all for the encouragement on my voyage into the land of Hasselblad. Since my wife is a 2nd generation Swedish immigrant, I didn't have much choice

If you are patient and look in the right places, you can find some great equipment at reasonable prices. Heck, the 500cm looks like an absolute bargain compared to some of the Rollei TLR's out there. I went through KEH for my purchase, but the places Jim mentioned are all reputable - although I'm not familiar with the Asian fellow from Ohio

As far as working with film, all development will be done by a local lab that I trust. I have no interest in setting-up a wet darkroom. The divorce costs alone will make it impossible. I'll perform the initial scans on an Epson V700. If a particular image separates itself from others, I'll send it for a drum scan. All post processing will follow the same routine as my RAW files.

@Jim - I can't wait to see your 500cm A2A images

So now that I'm transfixed with medium format film cameras, here is an interesting trivia question that someone within the ranks of the MA2A family should know.

Q - HOW MANY HASSELBLADS WERE LEFT ON THE MOON?

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:43 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #6 · p.3547 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A baker's dozen, plus the one that got away on a space walk.

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:09 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #7 · p.3547 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's one Jeff.................

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:17 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #8 · p.3547 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And another................

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:19 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #9 · p.3547 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Pretty much everything I shot of Charlie in The Lone Star Fury was Blad, on Velvia 50. Some of The Eagles images were Blad.......

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:23 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #10 · p.3547 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Imagine going up and shooting hundreds of frames, without ever looking at a preview screen. The thought scares me witless now, how spoiled I have become.

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #11 · p.3547 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Old Charlie, a gentleman's gentleman...........

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3547 #12 · p.3547 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
A baker's dozen, plus the one that got away on a space walk.

Of course Jim would have that on the tip of his tongue. There were 12 Hasselblad Electric Data Cameras (EDC) left on the moon. Gratefully, the 70mm film magazines came back with the crews. The one that got away on the space walk later reentered the atmosphere and became a Kiev 88

Love the A2A images Jim. The 2nd Lone Star Fury just knocks my socks off! The Velvia and your Blads were great partners. I'm actually looking forward to that unique experience of not seeing the image on an LCD milliseconds after I release the shutter. It will be fun to rekindle that trust I used to have in my ability - even though I had to wait for the negs to be developed and get confirmation.

Oct 09, 2013 at 04:44 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3547 #13 · p.3547 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Seeing Jim's scans makes me realize what a "richness" exists in film...

I'm kinda envious Jeff. Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:53 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3547 #14 · p.3547 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff,
just for clarification, if you want to develop the black and white film, all you really need is a small film developing tank, which is only about half the size of a quart of milk, and a dark place to store your chemicals. No need for a wet darkroom at all. You'll just need to make sure you have a really dark room to load the film into the spool; they also make bags for that purpose.

Gero

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3547 #15 · p.3547 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Jeff,
just for clarification, if you want to develop the black and white film, all you really need is a small film developing tank, which is only about half the size of a quart of milk, and a dark place to store your chemicals. No need for a wet darkroom at all. You'll just need to make sure you have a really dark room to load the film into the spool; they also make bags for that purpose.

Gero

Gero I appreciate your encouragement; however, it just isn't going to happen in my world. Unless my father resurrects his old darkroom, I'm using a local lab

Harrier getting with the program on the active...

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:19 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3547 #16 · p.3547 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:

Would love to help, but it's a broken image...

In other news, apparently Red Bull Air Races are back next year! Coming to Ascot (UK) and Fort Worth and Las Vegas (US). Yay!

TOPBonanza:
http://futurshox.net/planes30/KBY-Beech35-N2981B-26.jpg

I know where I will be on 16th August 2014 - Ascot racecourse is about the same distance from my house as Farnborough - 5 miles!!!
Niall

Oct 09, 2013 at 05:18 PM
tom cardin
• • •
p.3547 #17 · p.3547 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Have any of you guys ever worked with a changing bag? I have loaded 4x5 holders on a beach in Japan, with quarter pounders going off all around me. Loading a film reel is a snap. I still have one.

Tom

Oct 09, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3547 #18 · p.3547 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Speaking of Blad days gone by. Want to pull all you can out of the D800? Well this new release will move you in that direction, for four grand.......

i saw the release on this one. that thing weighs over 2 lbs! thats a lot of glass!

Oct 09, 2013 at 05:37 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3547 #19 · p.3547 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

i have a number of very dynamic air to airs of Charlie that haven't been scanned. I'll send them off and post them forthwith. I just had the film/digital discussion with one of my new clients. I equate it with the people who still like vinyl v. CD's, purely a personal preference. Occasionally i hear someone wax nostalgic about vinyl, all I can recall is the hours spent with anti-static guns, cloths, solutions, and still hearing pop and snap.

Having been a very early adopter of digital, i was aware of it's limitations, using it in those situations where it offered an advantage, generally in the areas of expediency and ease of manipulation. As digital matured my film to digit ratio gradually shifted to the digital side, now being 100%. Are there nights where I long to drop a bag of film off at the lab and let someone else do the heavy lifting? Sure. When you really think about it though, film was a lot of work too, buying it fresh, keeping it refrigerated, handling thousands of rolls, sheets, etc, worrying about something going south during processing. I used to tether a LowePro bag to a seat in the photo platform and literally throw 36 exposure canisters like spent 50 cal casings.

The control we have with digital as we know it today, is nothing short of amazing. That master suite image I crafted yesterday took three hours. Had I been shooting 4x5, putting that image to bed would have consumed the better part of a day and several hundred dollars of Polaroid and 4x5 sheets, and I still would not have ended up with an image that had the feel of that final capture.

I completely understand the desire to return to our roots and practice the pure craft of photography a la Ansel and the boys, but for commercial work, digital is a Godsend. I hung on to my Sinar and my Blads thinking that someday I'd venture back to a purer form of deliberate photography, and I admire Jeff for the discipline, but I finally realized that that ship had sailed for me personally. Maybe the decades of the uncertainty and cumbersome volatility of film took the shine off.

From an economic perspective, I've never understood the film/digital argument. My average film/processing tab in the hayday of film was easily 140K. Didn't take me long to do that math.

Now, is there something right and magical about summoning one's skill and intuition, exposing a scene carefully and deliberately, then waiting for the product to emerge from the soup? Absolutely! Stretching out a 120 roll of Velvia, or a 4x5 sheet, on a color corrected light table is a cathartic moment for sure. You either had the chops and got what you were after, or you learned something and set out to try it again. No 5 stop either way latitude safety net. Yes that harkens back to a day when men were men..................and sheep were afraid

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:15 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3547 #20 · p.3547 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register