Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3524      
       3526              4304       4305       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3525 #1 · p.3525 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

With a direct connection to the Drobo, theoretically all the middle men are gone and then it becomes either Drobo or Mac. It sounds simple enough but you know how the rabbit holes go.

Edit: TOPP Short tailed hawk telling me I have a nice lens

Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:29 PM
dtw757
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3525 #2 · p.3525 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We suffer from slow speeds every now and then when the kids come home from college. Heavier use on the modem. It was suggested by Comcast to unplug everything (all cables) from the modem and let it "cool" for about 30 mins. Believe it or not....it does work in about 95% of the cases. Any chance that the workload on the modem has increased and is running warmer? I'm not an electronics engineer and don't really understand why, but it worked for me.

Mike

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3525 #3 · p.3525 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
With a direct connection to the Drobo, theoretically all the middle men are gone and then it becomes either Drobo or Mac. It sounds simple enough but you know how the rabbit holes go.

Sorry, I thought the connection test was being done between his computer and the interwebs.

Did I miss something? there's almost nothing short of a faulty piece of hardware that could cause to directly linked pieces of equipment to have slow transfer speeds (perhaps something running in the background)

dtw757 wrote:
We suffer from slow speeds every now and then when the kids come home from college. Heavier use on the modem. It was suggested by Comcast to unplug everything (all cables) from the modem and let it "cool" for about 30 mins. Believe it or not....it does work in about 95% of the cases. Any chance that the workload on the modem has increased and is running warmer? I'm not an electronics engineer and don't really understand why, but it worked for me.

Mike

What this really is is that the tech can't explain what's happening, so he's telling you to reboot the router, but wording it in such a way that you don't catch on :P There was a great diagram of tech support floating around...

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:32 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3525 #4 · p.3525 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Rob and Mark. I really don't seem to be having a problem with internet upload/download, or watching tutorial video, netflix, etc. When I am working on my laptop downstairs and send files to the Drobos upstairs, things get ridiculously slow. What component of my LAN would affect that? Doesn't matter if I'm using wifi or CAT5, it takes forever all of a sudden.

Well, your router is definitely in the mix for both LAN and WAN access. It's the device that determines where your packets need to go (out to the Internet or to a LAN based device like your Drobo. With a 14 year old router, you're definitely not going to have the fastest capabilities (wired Gb or Wireless N). So yeah, I would replace your router and if you use separate wireless points of presence, that as well. I have a personal dislike of Linksys gear and use Netgear devices.

Assuming everything is new and up to date, wired transfers should be faster than wireless but for most applications it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Rob

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:30 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3525 #5 · p.3525 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh, and one other thing, Jim, you might want to replace the switch with a new Gigabit version.

Rob

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:33 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3525 #6 · p.3525 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Per the earlier talk about Phantoms. The very last drone-worthy one will leave AMARG shortly...

http://www.dm.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123333949

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3525 #7 · p.3525 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Per the earlier talk about Phantoms. The very last drone-worthy one will leave AMARG shortly...

http://www.dm.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123333949

So other than the Collings plane, how many are still flying this side of the pond? I think Germany still flies them but not for much longer if memory serves.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3525 #8 · p.3525 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks again Guys! Didn't get to Fry's today, but plan on it tomorrow Maybe that will correct my issues.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3525 #9 · p.3525 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The smile says it all!

Glenn

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3525 #10 · p.3525 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
The smile says it all!

Yes it does!

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

david russell
• • •
p.3525 #11 · p.3525 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Since we are now an IT group too ....one thing that I always look at when having network problems with a mix of devices, wired PCs and WiFi PCs is IP address conflicts. Conflicts can wreak havoc with throughput due to collisions and re-transmits.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3525 #12 · p.3525 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I spent the afternoon with quite a few of the men from my church, trying to knock small disc-shaped bits of clay out of the air. I went 12/15 during the 3 scoring rounds, but have got a ways to go before I'm ready to take my show on the road.

My brother-in-law

The anticipated result

Retrieving the lucky ones

Fun in the twilight

After enjoying the smell of cordite and consuming plenty of grilled oinkers and cluckers, I found a fence-post and fired off a couple of shots of the post-sunset sky.

It was a wonderfully relaxing afternoon/evening.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:10 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3525 #13 · p.3525 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now that's the way to spend a day Leo! Nicely done

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:18 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3525 #14 · p.3525 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

david russell wrote:
Since we are now an IT group too ....one thing that I always look at when having network problems with a mix of devices, wired PCs and WiFi PCs is IP address conflicts. Conflicts can wreak havoc with throughput due to collisions and re-transmits.

+1 .. and keep an eye open for having two or more DHPC servers with overlapping client addresses....

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3525 #15 · p.3525 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Back to an aviation related topic, Calgary based Arctic charter/rescue service Ken Borek Air had a tragedy last week. Losing a Twin Otter and 3 crew in the Queen Alexandra Mountain Range in Antartica while enroute from the South Pole to Terra Nova Bay. Having flown in and out of the Arctic and Antarctic for 30 years all on board knew the risks, and were properly equipped. Initial overviews of the crash sight appear to indicate that a turn over the mountain range was made to early and resulted in a direct impact into the side of Mount Elizabeth near the summit (14'000ft)

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/26/antarctica-plane_n_2555983.html

RIP to the pilot and crew.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:57 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3525 #16 · p.3525 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

david russell wrote:

I use an iPhone app called Fing to keep an eye on my house network. I just looked at it and I've got 25 active devices at the moment... Jeeze....

Rob

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3525 #17 · p.3525 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Cool Leo -- A couple of years ago in October of 2010 family got together to celebrate my mother's Bday - normal activity after the big dinner is for the * kids * go shoot some clays .. here my son Chad is shootin' while another son Christopher fires off the clays while my nephew Jaimie ( cirrus design production manager in GF, ND ) and my son in law Jon watch.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:13 PM
yipDog
• •
p.3525 #18 · p.3525 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. My father (William Turchick) sent me a set of 8x10 prints so I scanned and put them together with info he supplied.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3525 #19 · p.3525 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Old Crow.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    38mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:57 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3525 #20 · p.3525 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Now that's the way to spend a day Leo! Nicely done

cbrandt wrote:
Cool Leo -- A couple of years ago in October of 2010 family got together to celebrate my mother's Bday - normal activity after the big dinner is for the * kids * go shoot some clays .. here my son Chad is shootin' while another son Christopher fires off the clays while my nephew Jaimie ( cirrus design production manager in GF, ND ) and my son in law Jon watch.

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying getting my son started in shooting and hunting. It is reviving the fire in me to spend more time enjoying nature with family.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password