Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3518      
       3520              4253       4254       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3519 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Zim, it is no secret that I have a very deep respect and appreciation for your artistic sense and capability. Your positive response is most gratifying. This has been a very interesting journey so far, and I think it's really just begun.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:46 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bryan has some influential contacts in the movie industry. They've asked him to think about participating in a new western to be filmed in the El Paso area soon.

I told him not to forget "the little people" when he hits the big time.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:50 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Actually Steve, the character in your face has long struck me as a wonderful subject for this treatment. This whole journey has changed forever the way I look at faces. Since it began, I find myself analyzing and mentally lighting faces I meet. I guess it's paid off, sort of like sim training, when it's show time, I have already done it a dozens of times in my mind.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 04:02 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:53 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3519 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fabulous character study/portraits Jim.

Really draws me in and makes me want to meet that gentleman.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:01 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jay, you will, in the fall.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:03 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3519 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/small-earthquake-hits-north-texas-late-tuesday-night/ Another paycheck hits the bank for Jim

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:05 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I was intrigued by the character in his hands, and how placing them in front of him accentuated both their character and scale. Softening them slightly with depth of field, then leading the viewer to a tack sharp face added to the impact of the image, one f-stop made all the difference in the world.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:11 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3519 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The more I look at those shots Jim, the more I realize just how far I have yet to go something to be said for inspiration though.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:23 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/small-earthquake-hits-north-texas-late-tuesday-night/ Another paycheck hits the bank for Jim

Well Brian, my sitting fee hasn't escalated to Mr. Karsh's yet, or I'd happily take responsibility for the seismic event........... Someone needed to pick up the gauntlet though, might as well be me.........

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:24 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3519 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Jay, you will, in the fall.

Ah, excellent!

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Take heart Brian, if a Caterpillar tractor peddler can do it, you can do it. There is that 33 years of practice thing, but what the heck, ya gotta be somewhere, doing something! Go for it! We'll all help.

In fact, I'll have some extra time from now on because I have "rent my garments........" and given up on A2A work since a guy in Austin began knocking them out of the park, even with a fever of 101!

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:41 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3519 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Brian. These emulate Yousuf's technique even more than the high profile subject that I shot last month. Certain faces just lend themselves to the "Karsh" treatment more than others. Much as I am not a fan of cigarettes, Bryan is a "Marlboro man" and it just seemed like it fit to shoot a few with that prop. A number of Karsh's subjects were photographed holding cigarettes with smoke swirling around them.

I wish I had known Bryan when he was riding the rodeo circuit, although I had one Nikon a flash and two lenses so it wouldn't have mattered
...Show more

Jim, you've gotta find a way to do the rodeo project. Those faces captured with your skills could be a capstone to your current career and a launching pad to the next phase. Make it so!

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:05 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3519 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:

Californians are smirking behind their hands over the sight of a 3.0 making the headlines in Texas. Sort of the way Coloradans laugh when a half inch of snow brings Atlanta to a standstill.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:09 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3519 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Californians are smirking behind their hands over the sight of a 3.0 making the headlines in Texas. Sort of the way Coloradans laugh when a half inch of snow brings Atlanta to a standstill.

Looks like Colorado had a 4.4 out West this evening. Still smirk worthy, but bigger.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Don't know if I ever shared this story with you all, stop me if I did.....

About thirty years ago, in the era of one Nikon and two lenses, my lighting gear consisted of a Novatron power pack ( which I think was powered by four double A batteries , two heads, and a couple of Lowe's trouble light fixtures and some soft white bulbs. I was asked to present my portfolio to a marketing director for a major development company. Why I was asked remains a mystery to this very day. I scrambled and put together a portfolio of 10" prints mounted on black mat board, beautifully packaged in a custom made portfolio presentation case. This was a bit of a stretch for the CEO of a photographic enterprise with a negative net worth and a VW diesel Jetta, but it was a crack at the gold ring so I felt compelled to do what I could to put on a pro face.

I arrived for the presentation and was informed that the director was in a meeting and would be out at some point. Two hours passed, I'd like to say quickly, but I'd be fibbing. 120 + minutes of increasing nauseatic anxiety as I sat in the lobby becoming more and more aware of what I already knew, I wasn't low on the totem pole, I was not even on the totem pole.

Somewhere between hour two and three, a whirling dervish in high heels stormed out, told me she had less than five minutes and asked what I had to show her. I opened my "custom made" portfolio case and began to show her my work. She grabbed the stack of mat boards, when through them like Grant went through Richmond and tossed them on and beyond the coffee table in front of us. She looked at me, said, "Well, I'm out of time, your work is mediocre at best, I have to go..." In a split second I found myself facing two choices, the first would have provided me with no end of personal satisfaction, but closed the door on any possibility of work. The second, in an instant of Divine inspiration, gave me the discipline and clarity to look her in the eyes, extend my hand, and simply say, "Thank you for taking time from your schedule to review my work. If you ever find that you need a mediocre photographer, I would love to work with you...."

The demoralized drive home in Dallas traffic took an hour or so. When I arrived home there was a message from Ms. Wolfe (seemed a most appropriate name at the time). She was calling to hire me for an assignment the next day. We became very good friends, for ten years, until the company fell victim to the resolution trust debacle, despite their best efforts, no other photographer had a prayer of shooting for this women, her company or any company she exercised any influence over. I've got to say, it was the most remarkable, and unlikely transformation of a situation that I have ever witnessed, or experienced.

A year or so after our first meeting, Donna laughed and said, "Do you remember the first time we met?" I smiled and said, "Yes." She laughed and said, "I was so caught off guard by 'your call me if you find you need a mediocre photographer' statement, and the fact that you put up with my rudeness and tossing your portfolio all over the room, without so much as a blink, that I simply had to work with you and see what you were all about."

That one situation taught me much as it unfolded over the years of assignments and the great relationship that grew out of it. I will tell you without reservation, if that situation arose again tomorrow, I would handle it exactly the same way.

I guess my point in telling this story is, don't let anyone, anyone discourage you from pursuing what you believe to be your right course. I realize not everyone can start a business with the formidable foundation of an old camera body, two lenses and an assortment of 25/60/75 watt incandescent bulbs but believe in yourself, in your talent, in what your heart tells you that you can do and then go do it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for your encouragement Steve. Let's see where this goes.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3519 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JW - The last portrait seals the deal for me; Yousuf is passing the torch to the kind shooter from Texas.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Think about the opportunity and the emotional investment of a project like my buddy Joe McNally's "Faces of 911" Simply amazing.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you Jeff. I consider that humbling high praise given your level of expertise. I like that one as well. Karsh's capture of Ernest Hemingway was inspiration for the first in the series.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:43 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3519 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

When I told Bryan to go get his Marlboros from the car, I though he was going to fall over, muchless asking him to light up in the hangar A once in a lifetime event

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:45 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password