Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3486      
       3488              4134       4135       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chainshot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3487 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just started the Tamiya 1:48 M10 like my uncle drove in Europe. It's been a long time, but I'm enjoying it. There are some nice weathering techniques, etc... on YT.

Jan-Arie wrote:
Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling

Oops...top of page. Just ran across this today on the www

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3487 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
Thanks Steve and Rodolfo on the drive storage thoughts. I like Steve's approach, which is what I'm currently able to do with just two external drives plus the internal 1TB laptop drive. And yes, right now the next step would be to move from the 1.5TB drives I'm using now to 3TB. That seems to be the current sweet spot drive size - 4TB drives jump to almost $400 each.

What I'm worried about is at my current pace, I may fill the 3TB drives before the next generation (5TB or 6TB?) are affordable, and then I'll have to consider some
...Show more

You're overthinking this.

Steve and I are doing essentially the same thing. My desktop computer (a tower PC) has three 3TB drives inside in a RAID-0 array for a 9TB storage volume. That holds everything I've ever done and not lost (). I have a Drobo S (USB3) attached to that same computer with 4 x 2TB drives, and that's my first line of backup.*

You could do the same by using two 3TB disks (primary and backup) right now. If you fill them, just add two more 3TB disks and you're done. No big deal to have two disks be your primary storage and the other two be your backups. If you want to think about arrays, Drobos, servers, or anything else, great... we'll be happy to help you and it's not hard. But you will not need to do that before you fill up -- at the very least -- your first 6TB of files.

-----

* One should always have at least one backup copy off-site, so ideally you'd get three new 3TB drives if you're going to sell the older 1.5TB units. Since I have two high-capacity servers (one in Guatemala and one in Miami) that store company and client data, I store additional backups of my personal stuff on those.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:59 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • •
p.3487 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There is a new 1/32nd scale model of the B25 available now. I can't remember the mfr., but I will try to find it soon and post.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:00 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3487 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

B&H will sell you 4TB 7200 drives for $249 all day long.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3487 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I can tell you that Thunderbolt is a godsend. Normally, through USB 2.0 interface, it takes a week to clone a 20 TB array. I took the newest 5D to HQ, lit up Carbon Copy Cloner and a day and a half later it was complete. When the 5D I ordered a few days ago arrives, HQ will be all Drobo with Thunderbolt interface. To paraphrase Gordon Gekko..........."Speed is good!"

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:48 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3487 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling just been searching for some decals in different scales mostly 1/48 and 1/32 scale just came about 3 sets in 1/32 scale.
For a specific B25 i can't believe it but Kitsworld from the Uk just released 2 sets in 1/32 scale of the Pacific Prowler and Devil Dog only drawback is that they are only available in 1/32 scale the third set is for the Gunfighter P51 I think i'm going to shoot them a mail if there are plans for releasing them in 1/48 scale in
...Show more
Awesome find J-A, posting that up on the Facebook page for the Dog

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3487 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
There is a new 1/32nd scale model of the B25 available now. I can't remember the mfr., but I will try to find it soon and post.

Yes the MF is HongKong Models the models are sold by Sprue Brothers price is a hefty 166$

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:57 AM
dtw757

p.3487 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chainshot wrote:
I just started the Tamiya 1:48 M10 like my uncle drove in Europe. It's been a long time, but I'm enjoying it. There are some nice weathering techniques, etc... on YT.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/jerryholmes/gas1.jpg

This aircraft is still on sticks in Milwaukee, a suburb of Portland Oregon. Through the 70's it was still a gas station, then became a nursery, and is currently a restaurant. The entire nose section forward of the wings was removed a while back and according to literature provided, is being restored by the Collings Foundation although I can't see it on their site. To say the least, it's in pretty rough shape having been up there for 50+ years. The last time I drove by, I seem to remember seeing the props off it and empty nacelles as well.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:19 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3487 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
* One should always have at least one backup copy off-site, so ideally you'd get three new 3TB drives if you're going to sell the older 1.5TB units. Since I have two high-capacity servers (one in Guatemala and one in Miami) that store company and client data, I store additional backups of my personal stuff on those.

Thanks! Yes, usually one of my drives is kept here at work, and I periodically bring it home to update it against the onsite backup. Except now, where both drives are sitting side by side on my desk at home, where they can be more easily stolen together.

And thanks for the SyncBack reminder. I use the free Microsoft SyncToy - remember there was a pretty detailed back and forth with Donald a couple of years ago comparing the two. I had been happy with SyncToy, but I've had a couple of episodes where it didn't work the way it was supposed to (as in some files were not backed up) and I don't know why. Kind of disconcerting, because it's hard to check. So probably time to try something new.

Mark

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:26 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3487 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I can tell you that Thunderbolt is a godsend. Normally, through USB 2.0 interface, it takes a week to clone a 20 TB array. I took the newest 5D to HQ, lit up Carbon Copy Cloner and a day and a half later it was complete. When the 5D I ordered a few days ago arrives, HQ will be all Drobo with Thunderbolt interface. To paraphrase Gordon Gekko..........."Speed is good!"

I unpacked my Drobo5D this morning, installed a 256GB mSATA SSD in the accelerator bay and five 4TB 7200 rmp HDD's in the five bays. I followed Drobo's quick-start guide to the letter. When I finally threw the power switch the 5D failed to boot properly, with red lights on all the drive bays and Drobo Dashboard giving it the thumbs down, even though it connected to Dashboard without a hitch. I used Dashboard to force a reset and it all came up green the second time around, and checked out perfectly. Weird.

My first speed tests are not as happy-making: moving data from the iMac's Fusion drive to the Drobo via Thunderbolt, the max data rate I've seen is about 9GB/minute, which is roughly equivalent to Jim's anecdotal claim of 20TB in one-and-a-half-days. But that 9GB/minute was a straight folder copy, internal HDD-to-Drobo, using the Finder. When I put a Carbon Copy Cloner task in charge of cloning my iMac's boot disk on the Drobo, the data rate dropped to about 3GB/min, just a tiny bit faster than a Finder copy from one of my external FireWire HDD's to the Drobo (using a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter).

More investigation is warranted. Maybe the overall transfer rate using CCC will end up being higher than it seems at the start: right now I'm at 18 minutes and 54.8GB transferred.

As for the iMac 27", I'm pleased with its performance so far. D800 files still take longer to render at 1:1 in LR4 than I'd like, but if I bite the bullet and have LR4 create 1:1 previews, the time from selecting an image to seeing the crisp, 1:1 image is less than half a second. And the iMac's display is beautiful, putting my 4-year-old Apple Cinema Display 30" in the shade: crisper, brighter, better color (whatever that means): photos just 'pop'.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skyhawkpilot
• • •
p.3487 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Yeah sleep while covering missions was hard to come by, especially from the time of RSS through launch, great times had even if only for 2 missions

I remember those times. For me, it was wake up at 0400 the day before launch to drive an hour to get to the press site for remote camera set up at 0600. Then I set up cameras the until around 1300. Eat lunch, then hang around until dinner. Then RSS roll back. Followed by an hour drive back to Daytona Beach. Get back home at around 1130 - get up at 0500 for launch day. And if it scrubbed, welp, do it again the next day.

It was absolutely exhausting, but absolutely worth it. I will cherish those memories always.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:37 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3487 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All this talk of backups and raids is definitely motivating me to do something, as my Time Machine backup drive is currently full. For the moment I'm flying without a parachute, as it were.

Edit for spot removal

Erich

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3487 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich nice one there's only one big spot above the cockpit and a couple of little one's

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • •
p.3487 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As promised, here is the 1/32nd scale model of the B25 Mitchell. As J-A mentioned, the model is from HK Models and here is the website. Check out the B17, Gloster Meteor and the Avro Lancaster as well.

http://hk-models.com/eng/p2.htm

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:47 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3487 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chainshot wrote:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/jerryholmes/gas1.jpg

Pretty sure that many of the parts now flying on "Sentimental Journey" came from this particular "Bomber-cicle"

The real Nose, Upper Turret and possibly the Cheyenne-style turret at the tail were obtained by the CAF in exchange for fabricated parts as replacements.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:56 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3487 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Erich nice one there's only one big spot above the cockpit and a couple of little one's

Thanks. Did I get 'em all?

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.3487 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All the pictures are great but my favorite is 11. The fins and the shine of the plane is just surreal. Thank you so much for sharing your work, its incredible and a lot to learn from

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3487 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
Thanks. Did I get 'em all?

Excellent

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:04 PM
dtw757

p.3487 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jay...probably explains why the Collings site has no mention of the "parts" being restored. I was just reading off the restaurants menu where they reference the restoration. Regardless, it's sad to see just part of the aircraft up there. Wish it could have all been restored and flying.

Mike

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:07 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3487 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome Sozy! This is the place for fun and learning. Glad to have you!!

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password