Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3133      
       3135              4307       4308       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3134 #1 · p.3134 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We've been doing some cursory crawling through real estate listings around the greater Phoenix area and have been surprised to find that maybe 1 in 15-20 listings mention "totally electric independent .. no connection to local utility"

Yeah, we're in AZ but I had no idea that solar tech had reached the true "whole house" level.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM
bobl
• • • •
p.3134 #2 · p.3134 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In 1862 the Union Pacific Railroad was formed, thus this year marks the road's 150th Anniversary. To commemorate this even Union Pacific (Uncle Pete) has sent the 150 Express to the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday it was in Eugene.

1 -- The Electro-Motive Division of General Motors built over 130 E9's and Union Pacific, by far, had the largest fleet of E9s. 35 to be exact. This, #951, is the last of the breed. As delivered it had two v-12s which produced 2,400 HP. In 1994 the three E units in Uncle Pete's Heritage fleet were updated. About the only external differences are the lack of a door in the nose, the lack of the rotating Mars Light, and the addition of ditch lights. The units do have covers which go over the couplers, but on this trip, as well as most of the other Heritage trips, those covers are not used as they sometimes have to put the power on the rear-end for re-positioning purposes.

2 -- E9 #949. This is the locomotive that led the City of Denver on my Dad's last day of working for Uncle Pete. He retired April 30, 1971... the day before Amtrak took over.

3 -- The "Shoshone" brings up the markers. This is the next to oldest piece of equipment in the Heritage Fleet. It was built in 1914 for use by then Chairman Robert Lovett.

4 -- Most of the train in Eugene looking from the rear-end. Visible are the Shoshone (observation car), the City of Denver (diner), and the Walter Dean (a former square-end observation/lounge car). Ahead of the Walter Dean, but not quite visible in this view, are the Museum Car, and four Pullman cars, which serve as quarters for the crew members, and the tool car. This trip departed Council Bluffs, Iowa on July 4, 2012 and will return to Cheyenne, Wyoming July 16, 2012.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Go4Long
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3134 #3 · p.3134 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very cool set Bob. We run a set of the EMD's up here on CP in passenger train service also, we also run a Hudson 4-6-4 built in 1930 for special events...here's a picture of it running out of calgary (not a great picture), you can see the EMD in the back of the consist.

The Mighty CP 2816 by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

more info on the empress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_2816

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3134 #4 · p.3134 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sometimes my nightmares are in color…

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:34 AM
carrg1954
• • •
p.3134 #5 · p.3134 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bob, like the trains too...

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:46 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3134 #6 · p.3134 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very nice trains Bob - must be a real treat to see them. The closest thing we have here in Maryland is the B&O railway museum, which has some really nice pieces on static display from the earliest days of rail travel.

Thanks for sharing these,

Gero

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:53 AM
bobl
• • • •
p.3134 #7 · p.3134 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very cool set Bob. We run a set of the EMD's up here on CP in passenger train service also, we also run a Hudson 4-6-4 built in 1930 for special events...here's a picture of it running out of calgary (not a great picture), you can see the EMD in the back of the consist.

Thanks, Steven and Carrg.

Steven I know about the Royal Hudson and CP F7s. In fact I have an A-B-A set of F7s in "O" Scale in CP livery, complete with 6 pax cars, one of which is a boat-tail obs.

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:53 AM
PDumm
• •
p.3134 #8 · p.3134 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Sweet Jesus, how do I fall behind by 20 pages in such a short time span?

Good news (for me, anyway). The Paiz tickets to Alliance are bought. Anya and I are flying in on Wednesday night so we can spend Thursday making our pilgrimage to HQ in KTKI. Hopefully we'll get the chance to spend a little time with Shooter and Bryan Martin! Staying through Sunday night, but skedaddling from the airshow straight to the airport.

Flying in on Thursday mid. Day so I hope I can meet up with some of you on that day and Friday too. Look forward to haveing a lot of fun at putting names to a face for the first time.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #9 · p.3134 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
That's not to say that there isn't a lot of money being wasted though. I think the ethanol subsidies are a huge waste of money, for example. Not just in actual dollars spent on ethanol, but also in the higher price of food that goes with making ethanol from corn.

Subsidies (like taxes) are a way to influence behavior through economic incentives rather than regulation. The first question with which one should begin to address the issue is whether one believes that the government should or should not influence behavior; and if so, when, why, to what extent, and at what cost.

That being said... if we simply look at the status quo, I continue to be flabbergasted and flummoxed as to why we provide tax breaks and R&D subsidies to oil companies, who are among the biggest and most profitable corporations on the planet for Pete's sake. I can -- either from conviction or simply as a matter of intellectual debate -- come up with arguments as to why one should or should not continue all other subsidies and tax breaks. On oil, you've got me... anyone who's printing money like that should pay at least the same share as everyone else. I can argue for more (pollution, secondary hidden costs, and so on). I cannot argue for less.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3134 #10 · p.3134 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

bobl wrote:
Thanks, Steven and Carrg.

Steven I know about the Royal Hudson and CP F7s. In fact I have an A-B-A set of F7s in "O" Scale in CP livery, complete with 6 pax cars, one of which is a boat-tail obs.

Bob, the 2816 is no longer in service as the royal hudson, it's now only used for special excursions towing the RCP consist, usually for marketing events or the CEO will take it out for a spin up the mountain. It's not the most reliable train in the fleet so it will generally travel with the EMD's in it's consist as part of the "heritage consist" which really is our way around the fact that we need them there in case the Empress breaks down.

PDumm wrote:
Flying in on Thursday mid. Day so I hope I can meet up with some of you on that day and Friday too. Look forward to haveing a lot of fun at putting names to a face for the first time.

I'm also flying in on wednesday morning.I'm hoping to get over to the JRB in the hopes I can see an F-35 fly.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobl
• • • •
p.3134 #11 · p.3134 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steven, That's about how it is with 844. She always travels with the 6936 ostensibly because 844 is not equipped with HEP and the 6936 is. However, there is always the chance that something will happen. Murphy LOVES to ride the rails of the Heritage Fleets.

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:36 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3134 #12 · p.3134 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spending a little time in "The Land of Lincoln", one of the last Illinois politicians to avoid jail. Put the D800 to work this morning in the Capitol rotunda. Man I love that camera!

Jul 14, 2012 at 02:41 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3134 #13 · p.3134 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Spending a little time in "The Land of Lincoln", one of the last Illinois politicians to avoid jail. Put the D800 to work this morning in the Capitol rotunda. Man I love that camera!

+1 for both photo and camera.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:06 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #14 · p.3134 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DanNehmer wrote:
And it takes 60 to 70 lbs of batteries to store the same energy as 1 lb of gasoline, or put another way, 10 gallons of gasoline = 3600lbs of batteries. Think about that, 10 gallons of gas = one sedan worth of batteries!

I really have to go back and get caught up, because I'm trying to follow this conversation from back to front. So sorry if I've missed anything, I'll finish catching up ASAP.

There are a couple of things missing from those numbers. I think the energy efficiency of a gasoline car is around 25-30%, because a great deal of the energy in gasoline goes out the exhaust as heat or is otherwise lost. The Tesla's efficiency (battery to wheels) is near 88%. So that's one difference. Also, in real-world driving, you still burn gas while sitting at a stoplight, and the gas car is less efficient in the city than it is on the highway, so real miles-per-gallon are usually lower than forecast. But the electric car is more efficient when going slowly, and uses almost no energy when stopped.

For an anecdotal comparison, Daniela's BMW 535GT gets about 240 miles between fill-ups of 15 gallons each, so that's 16 mpg which is also 25 cents/mile if premium gas is $4.00. My Tesla Roadster uses only 3.8 cents/mile in electricity (despite my, ahem, high-G driving style), which is a huge difference. The sedan will be heavier, but even at 5.0 cents/mile it's way ahead of the gasoline car.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:12 AM
ryanp
• •
p.3134 #15 · p.3134 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Speaking of energy and fuels...

The company I work for puts on the largest coal mine rescue competition in the country. Down here in Kentucky, coal mining is big business, and no matter whether it is the best fuel source or not, the people here live for this type of work. I spent 2 days photographing the event and it was an eye opening experience. I have new respect for these miners, especially the rescue teams. No matter what the conditions, they will enter a mine to rescue their fellow miners trapped deep into a mine. You can see some of the equipment they have to wear to get into the mines and keep themselves safe.

One miner told me a story about a rescue they had last year, where they had to crawl into a shaft that was 2 feet high. A fire in the mine required them to crawl on their stomach, pushing their oxygen tanks with temperatures over 130 degrees. They got in, put out the fire and rescued 4 miners. They were approximately 2 miles deep during this rescue. They risked their lives to save others. They were very humble and consider this just another day at the office. Everyone on the rescue teams volunteered for the job. They train many hours a year and compete in these events so they will be ready if a disaster ever happens. I got a chance to talk with some of the wives and children of the rescuers and they are the most caring, supportive, and proud people I have ever met. It really was a great experience.

Edited on Jul 14, 2012 at 03:17 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #16 · p.3134 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

KZinnack wrote:
I am going to the Westover airshow the first weekend in August and am planning on renting either a 300mm 2.8 or the 200-400mm 4. I will be using my Nikon D300 (1.5 crop) Any suggestions either way?

Long zoom, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... and here's 39 of those ways, all specifically shot on a D300 and 200-400. A zoom with the effective reach of a 300-600mm lens is a beautiful thing.

The 300 is a legendary, wonderful piece of glass with instant AF and superlative IQ. But I still shoot with a 200-400 and a 500, not a 300 and 500. Others choose differently, but that's how I roll. I have too many shots at 380mm followed quickly by others at 220mm to give up that zoom advantage.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:17 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #17 · p.3134 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I flew out to Seattle on Sunday to test drive my next automobile, the Tesla Model S. What a car! I can't wait for them to ramp up production: Tesla delivered the first production vehicle to a customer on June 23 but they're telling me mine won't be ready until late September (and I've got a sub-200 reservation number). It will be interesting to see if they can actually deliver 5000 cars in 2012, as they've been promising.

My Model S is #1459, so mine should still be here sometime this year. I'm incredibly excited about this car. I'll come back with more impressions after my test drive on July 28th.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3134 #18 · p.3134 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

bobl wrote:
Steven, That's about how it is with 844. She always travels with the 6936 ostensibly because 844 is not equipped with HEP and the 6936 is. However, there is always the chance that something will happen. Murphy LOVES to ride the rails of the Heritage Fleets.

HEP?

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #19 · p.3134 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
All it would take is one test drive and you'd be sold, too, Al. Driving an 'all torque, all the time' electric makes the internal combustion engine seem quaint and ponderous, not to mention dirty, smelly and noisy. Of course, some call those things virtues.

msalvetti wrote:
Congratulations, Steve! I thought we'd hear from Rodolfo by now, since he loves his Tesla too.

Been traveling and making a living, Mark. The funny thing is that Al's comment was near the end of one page, and I posted a response saying it "only takes one drive to make a believer out of you". Then I click to the next page, and find Steve saying exactly the same thing.

Yes, I love the Tesla. I love the clean (no emissions), the efficiency (those 4 cents/mile I mentioned), the ever-present gobs of torque that are always available and especially at a stoplight. Very few cars have nearly 300 lb-ft of torque right off the line.

I ordered the Model S since having kids forces me to drive the family minivan too often about 3/4 of the time since I won't put them in the front seat of any car if I can help it -- and the Roadster obviously has no rear seats. I have the Performance version coming: 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and roughly 300 miles of range, a sunroof that covers two-thirds of the car's top surface, and all sorts of other incredibly fun things. Won't bore you with details, but suffice it to say that I'm going to be very hard-pressed to choose between the roadster and the sedan when I decide which one to keep.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:42 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3134 #20 · p.3134 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf wrote:
But, someone has to push the dirty bleeding edge, and the Tesla' are kinda cool.

Kinda? Kinda?

My dear Shaggy... come drive with me... <insert evil grin here>

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password