Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

DavidP
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Just got off the phone with Canon registering my two 1D-3's to have the AF mirror fix done.

The gentleman on the phone informed me that Canon will extend the warranty of these repaired cameras to one year beyond the date when the repair is completed.

That's great news, and how it should be!

Dec 03, 2007 at 10:48 AM
R Longenbach
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Very good news! Should appease a few people online.

Dec 03, 2007 at 10:52 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Yep, it should. I didn't ask about it, he just volunteered it. Well, I did ask him to specify exactly what he meant when he said the warranty would be extended by one year. He looked it up . . . one year from the date of repair on the repair order.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:03 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Are they just warranteeing the sub mirror fix, or do they extend the warrantee on the whole camera?

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:08 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

The impression I got was the whole camera. But I didn't ask that specifically.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Would kind of hope since they are going in there that they just step up and extend the whole thing in case.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:32 AM
R Longenbach
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

If it's not the whole camera, let the flame wars begin anew. I've seen the complaints regarding a warranty on an "unused" camera that is gathering dust, since you know, you can't take pictures with a Mk3 that needs a sub-mirror adjustment.

I can't get mine to autofocus with the TS 24/3.5L. I've tried moving the AF to the back button, to the *, everything!!!!

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:33 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

That is kind of my thought too. Since I have one BD that works fine and one that is not I have not shot my second body other than one soccer match. It has sat since and would be unfair to have the clock running on it and not using it.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:39 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

You can always call them at 1-800-828-4040 and ask

Dec 03, 2007 at 12:38 PM
juststeve
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Regarding no autofocus at TSE 24, or any of the other TSE lenses.

Even after the FIX a 1Diii will not drive focus on these three lenses. They are manual focus only.

Steve Justad

Edited by juststeve on Dec 03, 2007 at 11:30 AM GMT (Reason: typo)

Dec 03, 2007 at 01:29 PM
jonbrach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

i think canon is doing all the right things now after the initial debacle....the warranty extension is the right thing to do and a gesture of goodwill....in fact,i spoke to canon recently asking about the sub mirror fix and i volunteered that i thought the warranty should be reset from the time of the fix...she said she was taking notes because canon wanted to hear from those with the markIII..i am glad they listened......the 1.3 firmware seems to have improved things,at least it has for me...if the hardware fix takes care of remaining issues then we will all have the camera we thought we were buying...i am crossing my fingers!

Dec 03, 2007 at 01:29 PM
John--G
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Agreed. At last we have a step in the right direction. Not extending the warranty would have been a kick in the face to all the early adopters who have been unable to use their camera for the intended purpose.

BTW, does anyone know if Virginia is doing any repairs other than the sub-mirror fix on cameras sent in? One of the little rubber button seals popped out on my second body. In 7-years of 1-series usage it's the first time I've seen anything like it. I was hoping they could fix it along with the mirror when I send it in.

Dec 03, 2007 at 02:26 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Well, I'm hoping that they at least re-calibrate the focus when they do the sub-mirror fix. And double-checking the exposure wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Dec 03, 2007 at 02:34 PM
pidge
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Are they offering to pay for shipping both ways? When you factor in the amount of insurance you need to get for this camera, it is not cheap, especially considering it is not the consumers fault.

Dec 03, 2007 at 04:33 PM
R Longenbach
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

For the sub-mirror fix? They will send you a printable UPS shipping label via email so they pay for shipping.

Dec 03, 2007 at 04:49 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

Yeah shipping is covered both ways by Canon.

Jonbranch: If the BD is the same fix I would say most defiantly does the job. This weekend I shot a soccer match from one end of the pitch of the goalie at the other end. I when I did my crop I could read the addias on her shoes. With my old bodies I was lucky to be able to tell what brand only guessing. Things are so crisp now.

Dec 03, 2007 at 06:46 PM
John--G
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fixed 1D-3's will have 1-yr extended warranty!

DavidP wrote:
Well, I'm hoping that they at least re-calibrate the focus when they do the sub-mirror fix. And double-checking the exposure wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

I just called to register my two bodies for the repair operation and I asked if they would be able to perform any other repairs or adjustments while the camera was in the shop. I was told NO. They will only repair the sub-mirror assy.

That is not the answer I was hoping for as it means a second trip to a repair facility just to fix one of my little button rubber seals.

Dec 05, 2007 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.