Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

Steve Young
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

Question, if I travel to Asia and see a good deal on any SLR Bodies or Camera lenses is there any possible chance it's a fake? Do they make fake bodies & lenses?

I have heard about fake compact flash cards, but I would think a body & lens is hard to replicate.

Nov 17, 2007 at 04:32 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

yeah, they do. They are easy to tell though, look at the logo, they've spelled Canon incorrectly - it will say "Nikon" instead.

J.

Nov 17, 2007 at 05:00 AM
Jack White
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

Ask people here or other forums for recommended shops in Asia. Stay away from street vendors. We all know a pro-level shop when we see one. Lots of glass and cameras, professional people, clean, etc. They may be able to make one or two fakes but can a shop fake an entire Canon and Nikon line?

Would I buy a lot of stuff in another country? Maybe not. The US dollar is weak. Also, look into how the warranties will be affected if something needs repair in the US. If something goes wrong will you have a chance to take it back to the store in a day or week or will you be constantly moving? Test everything out thoroughly in the shop. Bottom line, how much cheaper is it really going to be vs your own peace of mind. A 5D for $1000, great go for it if it checks out ok. 5D for $1800, I'd just buy it here for a couple hundred more and for the warranty.

Nov 17, 2007 at 05:18 AM
Steve Young
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

well Jack I was informed from my cousin, he wasn't 100% positive but he said he believes he has seen 5D's for around $1200 that's why i'm really questioning whether it can be a counterfeit,

Nov 17, 2007 at 01:21 PM
Rampai65
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

JohnJ80 wrote:
yeah, they do. They are easy to tell though, look at the logo, they've spelled Canon incorrectly - it will say "Nikon" instead.

J.

Or perhaps Cannon.

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:15 PM
Rampai65
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

snapware wrote:
well Jack I was informed from my cousin, he wasn't 100% positive but he said he believes he has seen 5D's for around $1200 that's why i'm really questioning whether it can be a counterfeit,

Its quite likely that you could find such deals even in the United States. You may have to buy battery charger for $250, Battery for $200 and the Camera Strap for $150. There are quite a few innovative scams all round the world.

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:17 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

They don't sell any faked Canon DSLR or lenses in Asia. And when you come from USA it's better to buy it at home. Great deals in Asia when you come from Europe, but not if you come from USA

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:21 PM
Chrono1081
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

Canon 5Ds dont exist for $1500. Period. The cost to manufactur is alot higher than that (although I forget the exact number). When you see these low low prices even if the site looks legit they "bundle" oh the 5d with just the body is unavailable, but we have our pack with the manual, the battery, the charger and everything else it is SUPPOSED to come with for $1500 more. Wait then there is shipping for another $300. Do not do it. Buy from reputable dealers only. Amazon.com does a great job at showing the cheapest prices.

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:22 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

snapware wrote:

You can't find any shop's selling NEW 5D's for $ 1200 in Asia or any place else

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SLD
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

This is 100% correct.

Lars Johnsson wrote:
They don't sell any faked Canon DSLR or lenses in Asia. And when you come from USA it's better to buy it at home. Great deals in Asia when you come from Europe, but not if you come from USA

Nov 17, 2007 at 03:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

JohnJ80 wrote:

J.

Probably there are more fake Canons because Nikon users are more discriminating of quality and would notice the difference.

EB

Nov 17, 2007 at 04:43 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

JohnJ80 wrote:

J.

Ha ha, love it, I hate question like this though

Nov 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM
rwhsurf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

I can't speak for any other country but Japan. But here I have never seen or heard of fakes being sold here.
As far as a deal goes? Many reputable stores allow you to save tax if you have a passport to show you are a tourist. Additionally, always ask if this is your lowest possible price. Many stores may discount a bit especially if there is an overstock. I paid 120000yen for a 40D which was equivalent to $980 US.

Nov 17, 2007 at 10:48 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

The cost to manufactur is alot higher than that (although I forget the exact number).

Can't be much higher, unless Canon is currently dumping 'em.

Nov 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Navyblue
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

From someone living in Asia:

Online US Canon prices are about the lowest in the world, at most you might get a tad cheaper. Furthermore as mentioned US dollar is weak now. For third party lenses, you might get lower prices in Hongkong, or may be Singapore. But as mentioned you need to go to the pro shop instead of shops that sucks blood from tourists.

Nov 17, 2007 at 11:34 PM
bias_hjorth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

Yes they do. Here´s one from the southern part of vietnam taken right before the paintjob

note : Picture taken by Rob Galbraith/Little Guy Media

Nov 18, 2007 at 12:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do they make FAKE Canon Bodies & Lenses?

bias_hjorth wrote:
Yes they do. Here´s one from the southern part of vietnam taken right before the paintjob

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data/1/rec_imgs/2098_tokyo_06.jpg
note : Picture taken by Rob Galbraith/Little Guy Media

No wonder the AF does not work.

EB

Nov 18, 2007 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password