New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

johnastovall
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

The new Ricoh GR Digital II is out with improved Raw write times but still no built in optical view finder.

http://theonlinephotographer.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

Oct 30, 2007 at 09:08 AM
danny d
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Seems like an interesting camera. How is the Ricoh GR?? I have been considering a small camera purchase..

Oct 30, 2007 at 03:54 PM
johnastovall
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

It's a very interesting camera both Daido Moriyama and Sean Reid have used it professionally.

Sean has very in-depth review on his pay site. There is this long thread on the old GR-D here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23235

It looks like verison II has fixed some of the complains with it's slow write times in RAW.

Oct 30, 2007 at 06:07 PM
snoops

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

This should be a very interesting camera. I'm really looking forward to seeing some reviews on it soon.

Oct 30, 2007 at 08:13 PM
Daniel Buck
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

I hope the noise levels on the images are acceptable! I believe this was the reason I didn't pickup the GR-D1, images were just way to noisy (I believe that was the reason anyway) I would have liked it otherwise! I hope the GR-D2 will be able to replace my Fuji, I always wish I could go wider, have raw, and manual controls that make sense! This camera sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, only thing missing is an optical finder.

Oct 31, 2007 at 02:01 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Noise looks to be just as bad as the GR D but with perhaps less detail if these jpegs are any indication:
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital2/sampleimage.html

Noise would seem to be an attribute which Ricoh may consider a selling point to some I think. $700! seems a bit high for this level of performance. With the GR D going for $500 at a few places, would it be worth the difference to go with the new camera. Probably if shooting RAW only. If someone finds some RAW samples from the new GR D11, please provide a link.

Oct 31, 2007 at 07:26 AM
mjmetts
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Daniel Buck wrote:
I hope the noise levels on the images are acceptable! I believe this was the reason I didn't pickup the GR-D1, images were just way to noisy (I believe that was the reason anyway) I would have liked it otherwise! I hope the GR-D2 will be able to replace my Fuji, I always wish I could go wider, have raw, and manual controls that make sense! This camera sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, only thing missing is an optical finder.

I find the complaints about the lack of finder confusing. An external finder can be purchased separately which will most certainly be better than anything built in.

Oct 31, 2007 at 09:37 AM
mjmetts
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Noise looks to be just as bad as the GR D but with perhaps less detail if these jpegs are any indication:
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital2/sampleimage.html

Noise would seem to be an attribute which Ricoh may consider a selling point to some I think. $700! seems a bit high for this level of performance. With the GR D going for $500 at a few places, would it be worth the difference to go with the new camera. Probably if shooting RAW only. If someone finds some RAW samples from the new GR D11, please provide a link.

We can't really tell until we see some shots that aren't at ISO 100... The shots do look detailed though. That shot of the drink it bitingly sharp.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM
bdickers
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Take a look at the Canon G9...

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:10 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

bdickers wrote:
Take a look at the Canon G9...

The problem for some is that the Canon G9 or any other brand P&S just does not go wide enough. Ricoh seems to be the only company(and possibly Sigma with the mythical DP1) that has figured out that a wide, quality single focal length lens in a very small compact camera is what a lot of pros are looking for in a carry everywhere P&S.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:53 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

mjmetts wrote:
We can't really tell until we see some shots that aren't at ISO 100... The shots do look detailed though. That shot of the drink it bitingly sharp.

So high noise at ASA 100 is normal? I'm not seeing the detail I would expect to see in any of the other shots and what passes for sharp with regard to the Drink shot is mostly just contrast, not resolution. Perhaps the RAW images will be much better at what, ASA 64 underexposed 3 stops to protect the highlights?

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:57 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Canon G9 starts at 35mm FOV equivalent. I had ANOTHER look at one while I am here in Vancouver. And only $25 CAD more than the G7, too, at Leo's.

But 35 is normal, to me. No go, sorry. I am using a D50 with a Nikkor 20 for the 'walk-around'.

Agree with you Tariq on what many pros want; sheesh---we have posted on this way too many times already. Wait and see. Someone might be listening, but no evidence so far!

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:59 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ricoh Announces Ricoh GR Digital II

Of course, just as soon as we plunk down $700-$1000 for a GR-D11 or a DP1, you know Nikon, Canon and Olympus will introduce their high end luxury versions. With DSLR's becoming so cheap and their profit margins shrinking while at the same time P&S cameras are hardly even profitable anymore as they are a commodity item, it only seems logical that the high end, compact digital luxury cameras will be the next big thing. Also consider that Canon will be using their own Cmos sensors in compacts in the near future AND that Panasonics 4/3rds chips are coming along nicely and you can see that things will converge soon, at least I hope so.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:51 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.