Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2007 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Two years ago before the Alt Forum was created, all threads on the Canon board that had to do with Leica or Zeiss were "banned" to the "Forum & Miscellaneous" without any warning. We thought they were just deleted by the mods until somebody found them there. When was the last time you visited that section ? At least now we know where it ended up....

Jul 20, 2007 at 08:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

So why aren't discussions of Sigma or Tamron lenses on Canon kicked to this forum as well.

If we are talking about a lens that works on a Canon camera, then I'd say that's pretty relevant to the Canon forum.

Jul 20, 2007 at 08:43 AM
jweaver
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

If the Board nazis had not complained to the mods... That is why it was moved. That is why after almost four years here I am starting to chaffe. I mean, we have to go searching for something in who knows where because some control freak has to cry to the mods. I love the mods and tend to always agree with them, but sometimes things are moved simply because some one complains! My problem is with the control freak board citizens patrol that want to stiffle any discussion when they simply could have IGNORED OR BOYCOTTED THE THREAD.

That said, I apologise to the OP for the hijack and thank him for INFORMING me of an option that I did not even think about. More use in this thread than the 1000's of what lens next a 300mm or 8mm fisheye?

Jul 20, 2007 at 08:51 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Whayne,
The explanation I got from Jeff at that time was that Sigma, Tamron, etc lenses were designed and manufactured to work on Canon bodies. With other words, you don't need any adapter to mount them on Canon bodies. The mods have to draw a line somewhere and that's what they did. We have to respect that and play by the rule.

Starting in 2004 more and more people (remember Guy Mancuso?) embraced the alternative lens route and on any given time, more than 50% of the threads on the Canon board pertained to Leica or CZ lenses. There was quite a bit of lively "discussions" between more "conservative" Canon shooters and Alternative followers. At the end, peace was restored when the new Alternative Board was created for that particular reason. Let's face it the vast majority of people that frequent the Alternative Board are Canon shooters anyway...

Jul 20, 2007 at 09:04 AM
SmegHead
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Well... whats done is done and if the mods want the thread here.. that's fine by me.. so on to more discussion about the lens's themselves.

I'd like to ask those here what they think about other Leica lens's. Alot of them ARE out of reach of most.. in the thousands. I'd like to hear which other of the "cheaper" leica's are a good value. I've been looking at the 90mm's.. either the 2.8 or the 2.. anyone care to give a breif summary of the difference between the two.. they're both reasonably affordable and I was leaning towards the 90mm f2.8 because it's the cheaper of the two.. is it worth it to go to the f2?

Jul 20, 2007 at 09:14 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Try contax zeiss lenses also.

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:25 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

SmegHead:

I'd recommend you the 90/2.8 second version. It's an amazing lens. It's very shap wide open and has very good close up performance. I remembered someone did a comparison before. The 90 elmarit is very close to 100/2.8 APO in sharpness at medium/long distance. In my own experience, they are very close in sharpness, except the 100 macro has the edge on micro contrast.

90 Elmarit @ 2.8
http://www.pbase.com/phuang3/image/54815891/original.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:32 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

AGeoJO wrote:
Let's face it the vast majority of people that frequent the Alternative Board are Canon shooters anyway...

True. This indicates that there is a lot for Canon shooters to discover over here (in the Alt. forum).

Maybe there aught to be a sticky in the Canon forum that briefly discusses other alternatives, a list of mounts that can be adapted, etc. and then a link to the Alt. Forum. I think all Canon shooters should know what they may be missing out on. Using these lenses is a great opportunity to learn and to appreciate old craftsmanship, and enjoy photography in a different way. Not necessarily better, but wonderfully different.

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:33 AM
SmegHead
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

wow.. that rose is gorgeous. The tones are what really caught my eye.. I cant beleive how well that lens renders the subtle variations in tone and shadow as well as preserving the fine detail in the vien like parts of the petal.

Jul 20, 2007 at 01:49 PM
foxbat
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

There is no doubt that the latest version of the 90 Elmarit is not only astoundingly sharp but also resolves a level of per-pixel detail that puts most modern equivalents to shame, not to mention the smooth bokeh. Here is a test shot wide open and a 100% crop. There is no doubt in my mind that this lens is outresolving my 1DMK2 sensor by some considerable margin.

This was my first Leica-on-Canon lens. Needless to say the slippery slope started soon afterwards...

Test scene:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/foxbat_gb/tests/90-1.jpg

100% crop. PSCS2 smart sharpen 60%/0.4 to remove the camera AA filter softness:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/foxbat_gb/tests/90-2.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 02:42 PM
foxbat
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

While I'm at it I'll also add my vote to the appreciation for the latest revision of the 50 Summicron. This is now my "default" lens in that it's attached to my 1DMK2 whenever I go out and about hiking because I have 100% confidence that it will deliver a superb image. It's not just the sharpness - of course it has that - but there is something else that makes me smile as I remember the moment when I see the image in the raw converter. It has depth, like I could step into the monitor and be back there again.

Here's an example from last year (handheld at f/2.8):

http://www.aprd31.dsl.pipex.com/tmp/jo1.jpg

And a 100% crop from the above:

http://www.aprd31.dsl.pipex.com/tmp/jo2.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 02:53 PM
EricH
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Yes, I agree with all above posts. If you think the images look good on screen wait until you see the prints. Something about the Leica rendering that gives them more life than many of the canon lenses I have used. Same may be true about the zeiss / contax lenses.

Jul 20, 2007 at 03:10 PM
foxbat
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

SmegHead wrote:
Well... whats done is done and if the mods want the thread here.. that's fine by me.. so on to more discussion about the lens's themselves.

I'd like to ask those here what they think about other Leica lens's. Alot of them ARE out of reach of most.. in the thousands. I'd like to hear which other of the "cheaper" leica's are a good value.

Consider the latest revision of the small and light 35mm Elmarit. It's quite cheap these days and delivers the sharpness, colours and contrast that you expect from a recent Leica. Here's a shot from last year with hardly any post processing:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/foxbat_gb/tests/garda.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 03:11 PM
Andi Dietrich
[X]
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Hi SmegHead
The Summi 2/50 is a very nice lens and I do agree which most of what you said except that I think the new ZF lens is at least as sharp stopped down and has better bokeh (IMO) than the Summicron, it is also a stop faster and may have thinner DOF. The Summicron is the best lens when it comes to corner sharpness between f2 and f2.8.

The summi has a similar aperture blades as the 1.8/50mm. Both lenses show rings rather than discs in the OOF light spots. Stopped down the Summi may have 6-edged discs.

Normaly I dont care too much for those things. Bokeh is more a thing you have to think of before you take the photograph. The OOF discs do not matter so much to me, it is just what people understand by Bokeh. Playing around with these alternative lenses is always fun, however most of the 50mm lenses are very well corrected and have a similar planar design.

Jul 20, 2007 at 05:13 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.