Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              124       125       end

Archive 2006 · Mustang Air to Air

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mustang Air to Air

Don't try this at home (with 4 million dollars worth of Mustangs!).....

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Apr 07, 2007 at 09:35 AM GMT

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:45 PM GMT

Oct 17, 2006 at 05:32 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mustang Air to Air

Goodnight guys! I got a 5:30 wake up call and while this is lot's of fun, I'm gonna be regretting it in the am.

Regards,

JW

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Apr 07, 2007 at 09:36 AM GMT

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:46 PM GMT

Oct 17, 2006 at 05:36 AM
pintobronco

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mustang Air to Air

JW, neat shots of the Mustang. Do you fly a T-6? I spent the weekend at Reno last month but have a lot to learn about air race photos.
al

Oct 17, 2006 at 02:22 PM
AIRIC
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mustang Air to Air

Great work. I always enjoy good A2A shots and these are some of the best I have seen.

Eric

Oct 17, 2006 at 09:37 PM
DARKSTI
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mustang Air to Air

Just amazing

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:19 PM
Mrs Tracon

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mustang Air to Air

Wow! These are fantastic shots. I am in awe. I take pics of many RC planes, and I find that difficult sometimes. You are an amazing photographer. Thanks for sharing.
Beverly

Oct 18, 2006 at 01:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mustang Air to Air

Hi Al,

Yes, we've got a beautiful '43 T-6G. Wonderful aircraft and a real kick to fly, heck just to taxi!

I've found that some of the best Reno shots are on the ramp and in the pits. I've been out at the pylons a number of times and you can get some interesting shots but they all begin to look alike.

JW

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:47 PM GMT

Oct 18, 2006 at 02:02 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mustang Air to Air

What a great group of folks y'all are! Thanks for all your wonderful comments.

JW

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:48 PM GMT

Oct 18, 2006 at 02:14 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mustang Air to Air

Delmar in the rib bruiser......

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:50 PM GMT

Oct 18, 2006 at 02:29 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mustang Air to Air

Here's one from my first "gig" for Dan Bates. Oshkosh 1973, Wow! I'm old!!!

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:51 PM GMT

Oct 18, 2006 at 02:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DARKSTI
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mustang Air to Air

I am out of words....I aspire to be half as good as you! Any tips for the Reno Air Races? I live in Incline/Reno and go, so any help would be great

Oct 18, 2006 at 03:30 AM
jerboyd
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Mustang Air to Air

Jim,

Great work --- Incredible work. I am just an armature at this stuff compared to your work. I do have a few of my own posted on my web page. Would love to know what an expert thinks of my modest work.

Any tips, areas I should focus on?

What is your primary camera/lens combo for aviation assignments?

Jeremy

Oct 18, 2006 at 08:00 AM
EOSDNG
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Mustang Air to Air

Pictures are described in one single word: fantastic

Oct 18, 2006 at 09:04 AM
dolfo
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Mustang Air to Air

Well, WOW.

And I mean it.

Congrats, thanks for sharing.

-dolfo

Oct 18, 2006 at 11:39 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Mustang Air to Air

Hi Ryan,

Thanks Buddy! You're probably better than me right now. Tips for Reno would be like anywhere else, shoot lots. Look for vignettes, people/props guys crawling all over big engines and of course all shots are best during those sweet light times early/late in the day. Do you have pylon credentials? I hear the Feds are really restricting that these days. Out at the pylons, again shoot lots, work on pans and slower shutter speeds so you capture the motion and emotion of those beauties ripping around the course. Those shots that get several aircraft compressed in the turns are really a matter of luck with some skill mixed in, track 'em going around and shoot lots again. Getting in the rythmic groove as you pan with the racers is just a matter of practice. In the days of film you shot bunches and didn't really know how you did until days later at the light box. Digital lets you see if you're getting it right there, how great!

I'm going to look for a shot I did at Reno years ago. I was walking back to Tiger Destefani's pit and glanced over my shoulder saw this happening and kind of just shot from the hip. It turned out to be pretty unique, see what you think.

JW

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:51 PM GMT

Oct 18, 2006 at 03:12 PM
DARKSTI
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Mustang Air to Air

That is a great shot!

I am working on the pylon credentials for next year since I may have some other motorosports that will hopefully get my portfolio built up.

Thanks for the tips!

Oct 18, 2006 at 07:31 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Mustang Air to Air

Fantastic Mustang shots. Somehow, some way, I have to get a chance to shoot air to air!!

Which Mustang is it? I don't recognize it.

Oct 18, 2006 at 10:47 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Mustang Air to Air

Hi Tim,

When you do get a chance to shoot air to air, choose your platform, pilot and subject carefully. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told, "my buddy rents this 172 and he can fly you to take the pictures", or "we don't need a trained formation pilot and a safety pilot, all I want are a couple of good shots". There's a million ways to be suckered into a dangerous situation by the lure of a great air to air image. I've done hundreds of air to air shoots and if they aren't done right, they're risky business. You lessen the risks considerably by knowing your crew, knowing that your subject pilot/aircraft are formation proficient, and that everyone understands the objectives and how you plan to get there. It is just flat amazing how quickly two aircraft can get together (in a bad way) if anyone loses their focus. Most of the editorial stuff I shoot, the aircraft I'm shooting is being flown by the same gentleman. He's an F-15 instructor instructor and has been there many times over and has all the t-shirts. We know each other so well in the air that we could almost do the routine without a transmission, but we know the risks, so nobody moves without announcing intentions and getting confirmation. The discipline keeps you safe, and if you think it's not hard for each person to burn a hole in their task, ask my pilot how bad he wanted to look over at that Mustang tucked up underneath our wing.

Hope you get to do it, it's a thrill each and every time. One time will give you a tremendous respect for the process, cause you're shooting something that's moving, from something that's moving, and you're both suspended in air that's moving. Sometimes even your breakfast is wanting to move!

Good luck, keep safe!

JW

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Oct 19, 2006 at 07:56 AM GMT (Reason: spelling)

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Jan 27, 2007 at 03:34 PM GMT (Reason: spelling)

Edited by JWilsonphoto on Sep 04, 2007 at 02:52 PM GMT

Oct 19, 2006 at 04:46 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Mustang Air to Air

A side note on that last image. It was shot on Velvia 50 and there's not a speck of retouch or enhancement. We went around and around with those cirrus in the background until we both thought we were going to hurl. Remember the days of film when the cameras were lacking that little preview screen on the back? I thought that shot had potential to be cool, but didn't know for sure until it roll out of the soup at the lab.

Unfortunately, a week later I lost my friend.

JW

Oct 19, 2006 at 05:00 AM
DARKSTI
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Mustang Air to Air

Thats an amazing shot. Thats sad you lost your friend though

Oct 19, 2006 at 05:06 AM
1       2      
       4              124       125       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2