New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · 400D and RAW files

Enir
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 400D and RAW files

I just got the 400D camera. I can't open its RAW files with ACR 3.4, DxO or Capture One LE. I don't see a newer ACR update. Is there a way to open these files with Photoshop CS2, or I better wait with grrrr patience?

Sep 16, 2006 at 06:04 AM
ericvgill
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 400D and RAW files

Happens every time a new camera comes out. Why people are surprised by now, I have no idea.

Doesn't DPP work already?

Sep 16, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Enir
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 400D and RAW files

ericvgill wrote:
Happens every time a new camera comes out. Why people are surprised by now, I have no idea.

Doesn't DPP work already?

Surprise comes because the 400D produces .CR2 files, like the 350D and 5D, but they seem to be different. Also because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere since the 400D was announced.

The new DPP works, but somehow I prefer Photoshop.

My apologies if my question irritated you.

Sep 16, 2006 at 08:46 AM
Doug Pardee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 400D and RAW files

Enrique, it's not the file that's the problem, it's the sensor.

The companies who make Raw converters need to take a camera and make a number of test shots to determine how the sensor responds to different colors, then create a color profile for the camera and put it into their Raw converters.

There are a few programs that don't care if the color is right as long as it's close. For example, the photo management program iView is reported to work with XTi/400D Raw files without any updates needed.

For now, the only programs that I know of that have been updated with color profiles for the XTi/400D are Canon's Raw Image Task and Digital Photo Professional, and SilkyPix.

It usually takes Adobe a month or two after a camera becomes available before they release a new version of ACR with the color profile for that camera.

Sep 16, 2006 at 09:23 AM
Enir
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 400D and RAW files

Doug Pardee wrote:
Enrique, it's not the file that's the problem, it's the sensor.

The companies who make Raw converters need to take a camera and make a number of test shots to determine how the sensor responds to different colors, then create a color profile for the camera and put it into their Raw converters.

There are a few programs that don't care if the color is right as long as it's close. For example, the photo management program iView is reported to work with XTi/400D Raw files without any updates needed.

For now, the only programs that I know of that have been
...Show more

Thank you very much, Doug. I was wondering if something went wrong with my camera or my computer. I'll wait for the updates then.

Thanks again, Enrique

Sep 16, 2006 at 09:42 AM
Jay S
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 400D and RAW files

Question in my mind is whether Adobe will update Lightroom as quickly since it is still in Beta.

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:27 AM
Doug Pardee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 400D and RAW files

By the way, I just read over on DPReview that Capture One has just put out its update for the XTi/400D. And the first comment on it was that the colors seemed off.

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:59 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 400D and RAW files

Jay S wrote:
Question in my mind is whether Adobe will update Lightroom as quickly since it is still in Beta.

Jay, since Lightroom uses Adobe Camera Raw as the guts of its conversion engine, I think you can expect to see Lightroom updated with a similar frequency even after its shipped.

I also want to take a moment to offer why it does take us (I work for Adobe) time to release the updates. In most cases the Camera Raw folks get the cameras about the same time that everyone else does or when the press release goes out. We then, as previously mentioned have to do a lot of test shots to develop sensor profile information. Once this is done the QA people hammer on it to make sure the new cameras are working properly with ACR and to make sure nothing else has been broken in the process. There's a bunch of people who have to sign off on it before it goes out the door. All of this can take a good chunk of time. Also to make sure that people don't get flooded with a ton of releases many of the camera updates are batched together in one Camera Raw update.

Just wanted to say that the Camera Raw folks feel your pain but rest assured they're not sitting around twiddling their thumbs either

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:48 PM
Enir
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 400D and RAW files

Doug Pardee wrote:
By the way, I just read over on DPReview that Capture One has just put out its update for the XTi/400D. And the first comment on it was that the colors seemed off.

I just downloaded the update of Capture One. Colors are indeed very wrong with the 400D.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:53 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 400D and RAW files

I know you are use to using ACR for your Raw conversions but DPP does an excellent job and it seems to me it would be a viable solution in the meantime.

Just convert the raw into a 16bit tiff and import it into CS2 for the rest of your PP. It is pretty simple to batch a bunch of files for conversion.

Jim

Sep 16, 2006 at 01:30 PM
Enir
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 400D and RAW files

Jim Victory wrote:
I know you are use to using ACR for your Raw conversions but DPP does an excellent job and it seems to me it would be a viable solution in the meantime.

Just convert the raw into a 16bit tiff and import it into CS2 for the rest of your PP. It is pretty simple to batch a bunch of files for conversion.

Jim

That's what I'm doing at the moment. I count the days until the new ACR will be released, though.

Sep 16, 2006 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.