New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2006 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Lotusm50
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

OK. After a couple fits and starts, I finally got the conversion done. Intially, I wasn't sure if it was working, but I discovered that my uncertainty stemmed from a rather significant ignorance of the way Canon bodies worked (unlike Contax's they are not intuitively obvious). The lens converted was teh Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 24-85mm f3.5-4.5.

Using it on a Canon 5D, the lens works better than I anticipated. I see no issue in the operation of the lens at all. Autofocus and aperture control all work as if it were a Canon lens. If fact, I think the lens' autofocus might actually be faster than it was on the Contax N1. Other than a few impossible screws involved in the conversion process, I have no complaints. My hat's off to Conrus for get it done.

I set up a quick test shot -- a wall of boxes that I had in the area, arranged in a flat plane. lit with a pair of umbrellas, the camera set on autofocus, the lens at 85mm, and the test wall was about 4 feet from the film/sensor plane. The film/sensor plane was about a parallel to the test wall as I could arrange by sight (no doubt it wasn't perfect). Here is a test shot at f5.6 (half stop from wide open), followed by a center and a corner crop. Another shot at f14 appears to be a touch sharper along the left side, and shows a little less light fall-off. Raw conversion was done with the "standard" setting in the Canon software. Exposure isn't perhaps perfect but its good enough. No sharpening or any other image processing was applied after conversion.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4869919-lg.jpg
center crop:
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4869914-lg.jpg
corner crop:
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4869912-lg.jpg

Aug 29, 2006 at 09:58 PM
rpinciuc
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Most excellent! This is quite a development... who needs ZF when you've got Contax N on the Canon?! If only they made more N primes.

Looks like a bit of red/cyan CA there on the corner crop, but nothing too excessive.

Could you perhaps post a link to the full-size image, or even better, the RAW?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:26 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

It is well-known that Conurus itself does not own any full frame DSLRs. Also, the Hong Kong group who first got it installed used a 300D for testing.

So, I wish to congratulate you, Lotusm50 - you just made history! These are the world's first full frame shots through an autofocus alternative lens.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:33 PM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

No get to work on the nikon version so I can buy that 200 f2 VR! lol!

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:37 PM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Result! Or as I believe they say on your side of the pond: 'that's what I'm talking about'.

Any news on the 17-35mm conversion?

Aug 30, 2006 at 02:23 AM
Emanuele_C
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Hmmm.... that's really interesting!

First of all, congrats for your try and quick test! Now it would be great to see some sample test shots at various apertures/focal lenghts to see how this lens performs on a FF body. I'm interested too in some infos about the 17-35 conversion...

Ciao,

Emanuele

Aug 30, 2006 at 04:00 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

hubsand wrote:
Any news on the 17-35mm conversion?

The conversion for the 17-35 apparently isn't ready yet. That conversion is less "reversible", as there is some soldering involved. Besides, before I messed around with such a rare and expensive lens, I figured it was a good idea to mess around with the less expensive and readily available 24-85 lens first. The only other conversion that is available right now is one for the 100mm Makro-Sonnar -- a lens I do not have.

Aug 30, 2006 at 06:31 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

I will try to do a more formal test that is more rigorously set-up. I thought it would be useful if I got an image or two up quickly -- and therefore the assemblage of boxes.

I'll try to report back a little more today with some insights into how it performs in informal use, and maybe with beginnings of a more formal test.

Aug 30, 2006 at 06:41 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

whoa this is awesome! What kind of price is attached to this conversion?

Aug 30, 2006 at 07:15 AM
rockitman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

wow !!!! autofocus Zeiss lenses on canon full frame bodies. This is most interesting...now where to buy some N-mounts ?

Aug 30, 2006 at 08:09 AM
rockitman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

I would love to see how this lense compares to the EF 24-70L 2.8. This is a focul range that I am interested in and would like to know if this zeiss performs considerably better in the IQ dept....

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:09 AM
open81
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Great work Lotus! Hope to hear more about your results.

I hadn't noticed your avatar before, do you live in Texas? I'm in California, but good luck to Kinky, hope he wins!

Aug 30, 2006 at 02:30 PM
pascal03
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Wonderful.... Thank you for the confirmation LotusM50.

Can't wait to get my 24-85mm mount converted. Hopefully he comes out with a conversion for the 70-300mm lens also. I like the results from that lens as well.

I have an extra 24-85 and 28-80 that I might consider selling if the first one gets converted okay.

Aug 30, 2006 at 02:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Lotus, could you post a picture of the lens on the 5D from the side?

Aug 30, 2006 at 02:57 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Carsten, how is this? Do you want one of the other side as well? The lens hood is pretty large and it might make the lens look larger than it really is.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4873187-lg.jpg

Aug 30, 2006 at 03:27 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

open81 wrote:
I hadn't noticed your avatar before, do you live in Texas? I'm in California, but good luck to Kinky, hope he wins!

I'm not from Texas (but Texas wants me anyway). ;-)

Ya gotta root for the Kinkster!!

Seriously though. He could be the best thing for Texas and the best thing for American politics, as well.

Aug 30, 2006 at 03:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

That's fine, Lotus, I just wanted to get a better idea of the size of it. With the hood on, the front view only gives the idea that it is chubby, but not how large. How is the flare resistance of this lens, ie. would it be okay to walk around with it without the hood? Have you tested the focus accuracy yet? It looks about the size of my Summilux 80, which is okay.

Aug 30, 2006 at 04:07 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Congratulation on the successful modification. I look forward to your fine tests. In the meantime, I have several brand new Contax N 17-35 VarioSonnar in which I will modify and report the performance later.

I hope that the Apotessar 4/400 can be modified in which I will also go ahead and make this modifications on my copies as well.

-Son

Aug 30, 2006 at 04:10 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

carstenw wrote:
Have you tested the focus accuracy yet?

Here is a 100% crop taken from the center-right portion of an image captured to ensure that I have infinity focus with the lens. This is taken at 85mm and f4.5 (wide open). No sharpening was added in PS.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4873482-lg.jpg

Aug 30, 2006 at 04:40 PM
httivals
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Contax N to Canon conversion - initial results

Was this on a tripod? I'm not impressed.

Aug 30, 2006 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.