Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

tzalmaves
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

Hello all,

I just purchased 2 Sigma DG Super 500 flashes for my Rebel XT. I followed the instructions for setting them up in E-TTL2 mode, making one of them the master (the one attached to my camera) and one of them the slave (the one mounted on the tripod). In this setup, I can either have both the master and the slave fire, or just the slave.

When I set the master to fire, the master and the slave both fire, but the slave's firing is so weak that it has no impact on the image. When I set the master to "off", both flashes fire, but they are both so weak that the image is not illuminated at all.

Interestingly, when I use FEL key (the "*" key on the camera to lock flash exposure) the flashes work as advertised in both scenarios, but when shooting I can't be pushing the FEL key before each shot.

Thinking that it was a broken flash, I swapped the master and slave, but the same exact thing happens.

I called Sigma US, and I had to wait for Tom, the one and only tech they have, to come back from lunch. He couldn't help me since he has neither the camera nor the flash (how can you possibly support a product you don't have on site?!). He told me to e-mail Sigma in Japan to get an answer.

I will say that the flash works fine on the camera by itself, it's just this two flash scenario that seems not to work.

Any ideas (other than 'buy Canon flashes', I've already come up with that one)?

-TM

Dec 07, 2005 at 07:58 PM
Hellbelly

p.1 #2 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

I had pretty much the same problem. So far, haven't had the time to properly explore the problem.

Dec 07, 2005 at 09:59 PM
FellowTravelle

p.1 #3 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

Same scenario here. I've also seen other posts around the net outlining the issue. Seems to be one of those things that pop up whenever a company has to back-engineer Canon's proprietary designs. I think we'll have to live with it. I had not tried the FEL trick yet, though. Glad I read your post.

Dec 08, 2005 at 02:07 AM
tzalmaves
• •
p.1 #4 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

OK, so we've been here before:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/318252/0

-TM

Edited by tzalmaves on Dec 08, 2005 at 10:38 AM GMT

Dec 08, 2005 at 03:14 PM
tzalmaves
• •
p.1 #5 · Wireless ETTL2 w/Sigma DC Super 500 Flash w/Canon DSLRs

In doing my research, I found this matrix for Canon flashes:

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/flash/ETTLDx/index.php

Interestingly, it says "Important: The Vivitar 880AFC responds best to manual E-TTL commands, but does not function correctly as an automatic slave." And in the comments we see "The Vivitar 880AFC is a rebadged Sigma EF 500 Super."

Ah hah!

-TM

Dec 08, 2005 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password