New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

churchill25
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Hi Folks,

Is it true that if a camera is purchased in Hong Kong, Nikon USA will not service it?

I have family in Hong Kong right now and was looking into a D2X…
I think they said it would equal out to about $3800 USA, does that sound right

I live in Massachusetts…
Is this a giant headache and should not be considered

Thanks, Alan

Nov 19, 2005 at 04:22 PM
Rampai65
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Nikon will service it as long as it was not bought in the grey market, IMHO.

I lived in Singapore before and in general and from my limited experience B&H prices were lower in comparison.

Some shops in Asian countries can rip you off in ways you would never understand until its too late.

$3,800 for D2X looks highly suspicious to me - there is a catch somewhere.

Regards

Nov 19, 2005 at 04:31 PM
churchill25
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Yeah,
I didn’t think it was a good idea either...
Plus, my family would not know the difference between a D2X and a Coolpix…

Thanks for the input…

Nov 19, 2005 at 04:41 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Actually, prices get pretty very competitive in HK, and since it's much closer to Japan, it also costs Nikon less to ship to Hong Kong. the price doesn't bother me so much, but I am pretty sure Nikon USA WILL NOT service products bought overseas.

Again, if you're thinking about buying in Hong Kong, be careful about where/who you buy from (as with everywhere else in the world). There are a number of reputable places with VERY competitive pricing (close to $4k doesn't sound TOOO far fetched, but still, be careful), and then there are places that may not have the type of stock you'd like to buy (ie. grey market. or whatever other shady things you can think of).

Nov 19, 2005 at 06:04 PM
churchill25
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Thanks,
If I was going myself I might do it, but the "Just In Case Factor" seems to high...

Nov 19, 2005 at 06:22 PM
Jeremy Hua
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Cameta Camera sells the D2x for $4500, they are not out of the country, and are an authorized Nikon USA dealer.

Nov 19, 2005 at 08:29 PM
schifferphotog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

I was in Hong Kong this September and was also pricing the D2X but to be honest with you I just did not trust the deal this price was the same in most Camera Shops but still I just did not have a good feeling of the deal
trust your gut thats all I can say sorry But I hope that helps you some how
Don

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Be careful when buying in Asia ...
I am regularly in Singapore and prices are at least 10% cheaper than in Europe. Hong Kong is even cheaper. BUT I would never buy a body there because the warranty is a local one. If you need to service the camera outside Asia, you will have to pay even during the warranty period. For lenses/flashes however you get a full international warranty. This is an official Nikon document, and I don't see why Nikon would not service them anywhere in the world.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:18 PM
dreams
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Chestnut wrote:
Actually, prices get pretty very competitive in HK, and since it's much closer to Japan, it also costs Nikon less to ship to Hong Kong.

My mom went to asia for her vacation. I asked her to buy something camera equipment in Japan. My mom found out that HK sell lower price better than Japan.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:43 PM
dtomasula

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Nikon in the US will only service bodies with a USA serial number. So a body bought in Hong Kong will not be serviced by Nikon US.

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:22 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

Most camera items are cheaper but might not apply to all items, esp the high end products. Sometimes, if Nikon have seasonal promotion like double/triple rebate, US price might be lower than in Hong Kong.

If one buy cameras in Hong Kong, better check the good shops before shopping. Most good dealers ain't in busy tourist shopping area.... they are using in place where land is cheaper.

I think D2X price in Hong Kong will be lower than in US, esp when tax are counted, but the differences might not be significant (unless you buy grey) enough for all the troubles... if you buy locally in US, you can have it refund (not easy in HK, we usually can replace another unit, or other more expensive model only if it does not function well), or get it replaced quickly..

My mom went to asia for her vacation. I asked her to buy something camera equipment in Japan. My mom found out that HK sell lower price better than Japan.

Yes, price in Hong Kong is cheaper than in Japan (most items), but japan 've some items that cannot be found elsewhere (excluding grey market). I think price in HK is cheaper than in Japan mainly becuase of tax..we basically have no import tax and no sales tax. (only some itmes have import tax and they are all VERY high tax rate..say, 100% and it's even higher for tabarcco). i think the price are also adjusted to the market's needs (all things are basically cheaper here). i guess cost for logistics within the city(it's a really tiny city with a lot of people...) might be another reason for cheaper camera too.

Nov 21, 2005 at 02:12 AM
Ivo Heshusius
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

The repair-policy in Europe is like this: if it ain't bought here, don't service it here.. or pay major league!

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:23 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

I find all this discussion very strange...
Is it even LEGAL for Nikon not to service those products IF they have been sold with a World-Warranty Card (official Nikon document) stating that your equipment will be serviced in all countries (addresses and phone numbers on the back)
That's the reason why bodies are sold in Asia with a "local warranty" which is another document. In that case of course...
I don't understand it anymore.

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:40 PM
churchill25
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon USA and Hong Kong

gugs wrote:
Is it even LEGAL for Nikon "not to service" those products IF they have been sold with a World-Warranty Card (official Nikon document)

I agree,,, that is why my question was, "Is it True"
It just sounds crazy that they would not honor it...

I could probably call Nikon, but where would the fun be in that...

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password