New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2005 · What is DPP really for??

piddlep
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What is DPP really for??

i use it as a jpg viewer.
only wish they'd make ticking off images a bit quicker.
and the slideshow needs a way so i can abort the whole show
but still keep the selections i made in memory.

usually the selections i make are for deletions and when i end it to check something else i have to start all over again

still trying to find that perfect jpg viewer ie speed

Nov 13, 2005 at 03:04 AM
muffins
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What is DPP really for??

Thomas Crown wrote:
there´s not Adobe Camera Raw plug in for CS

Heres a link to the latest update for camera raw for CS
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2701

Nov 13, 2005 at 05:16 AM
abam
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What is DPP really for??

i use DPP for straight up raw conversion to 16 bit tiff's, and that's it. everything else i do in photoshop CS. cheers!

Nov 13, 2005 at 06:38 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What is DPP really for??

I too find DPP 2.x an extremely useful RAW converter. The parameter tweaks are fast, the interface intuitive and the TIFF renderings preferable over PSCS for the most part (PSCS conversions usually need more post-conversion adjustments than DPP ones).

The conversion is fairly fast on my Mac G4 Dual. A screen full of thumbnails (20" Cinema Display) takes 5-10 seconds to draw. Now I thought that was slow but compared to the gentleman's laptop taking 1-2 minutes I guess it rips! DPP 2.x has come a long ways since DPP 1.0 and EVU.

Nov 13, 2005 at 07:23 AM
joslawrence

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What is DPP really for??

RAW converters all have strengths and weaknesses and currently there does not seem to be one that combines everything. Certainly some come much closer to having it all than others but DPP is one of the "others". DPPs main strength, in my opinion, is rendering more accurate color without doing a lot of tweaking and of course it is free with the camera. However when it comes to things like workflow, highlight and shadow recovery or processing speed DPP is far behind 3rd party software.

I have on my website an article about DPP as well as some comments on Raw Shooter you may find interesting.

Here is the link:
http://www.creationview.com/Articles.html

Nov 13, 2005 at 08:41 AM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What is DPP really for??

joslawrence wrote:
RAW converters all have strengths and weaknesses and currently there does not seem to be one that combines everything. Certainly some come much closer to having it all than others but DPP is one of the "others". DPPs main strength, in my opinion, is rendering more accurate color without doing a lot of tweaking and of course it is free with the camera. However when it comes to things like workflow, highlight and shadow recovery or processing speed DPP is far behind 3rd party software.

I have on my website an article about DPP as well as some comments on Raw
...Show more

this pretty much says it best!!
i too blew 60.00 bucks (mainly for support of Pixmantec) for the RSP and use it mainly for converting pictures that show some CA from my 17-85 shots (only seen at 17-20mm in extreme conditions).
for all else, i can't find a better conversion than i get with DPP.
colors are perferct, and photos come out with a "pop".
converts a RAW into whatever i want in less time than any other program too.

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:25 AM
Harvey Moore
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What is DPP really for??

I agree with Michael-M on this re DPP

ACR 3.3 beta is getting better, but I find myself producing tiff's in DPP, then editing with CS2

harvey

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:46 AM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What is DPP really for??

OK off topic but the question was posed so I'll answer it here.

Purds wrote:
What is 'tethered shooting'?... sounds interesting

At the moment "Tethered" means that a cable is physically connected from the camera to the computer allowing some direct control of the camera by the computer.

In the future (or maybe already) a wireless link should be able to eliminate the cable.

Tethered shooting is usually always done in a Studio or specific Client location.

The advantage is that you can review the files with the client before, during and after the shoot. -You should be able to see a much better (and of course) larger shot than what you will get on the camera's LCD screen.

Note that you can with some software actually set the camera parameters (aperture, shutter etc etc) from the computer and shoot.

"Tethered Shooting" is an invaluable technique in a lot of situations.

Cheers

-K

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:18 AM
pwollam

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What is DPP really for??

Latest version of Camera Raw for CS (version 2.4) supports D350. You can download for free from Adobe's site.

Nov 13, 2005 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Purds
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What is DPP really for??

Noone has compared DPP to the EOS viewer (which I find much quicker). Is the RAw converter in the EOS viewer so poor that I should be using a thrid party or using DPP?

Graeme

Nov 13, 2005 at 09:43 PM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What is DPP really for??

gosh, with all the replies you still ask about 3rd party converters?
yes, i have compared the DPP converted images to that of EVU.........DPP does a better job by far.
if you want to try a 3rd party converter, then download any of them(most all have a trial period) and see for yourself................if you want us to do the work for you, then by all means email me a RAW file that you want converted and i'll do at least 3 different software conversions for you.

not sure what kind of machine you are using, but i find DPP to be the quickest of all when converting to a large highest quality jpeg ....

DPP- 10 secs.
RSE- 11.5 secs
EVU- never timed it, but it was definately slower.

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:25 PM
Purds
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What is DPP really for??

Michael-M wrote:
gosh, with all the replies you still ask about 3rd party converters?
yes, i have compared the DPP converted images to that of EVU.........DPP does a better job by far.
if you want to try a 3rd party converter, then download any of them(most all have a trial period) and see for yourself................if you want us to do the work for you, then by all means email me a RAW file that you want converted and i'll do at least 3 different software conversions for you.

Michael,
Pls dont get me wrong, I've read the posts and by all accounts DPP comes recommended as
...Show more

Nov 14, 2005 at 07:38 AM
MALandre

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What is DPP really for??

"I have on my website an article about DPP as well as some comments on Raw Shooter you may find interesting."

Thank you for the link Joseph.

I read all your articles and found them to be not only informative
but useful as well.

Nov 14, 2005 at 07:51 AM
andrew_rs
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What is DPP really for??

Has anyone had a problem with sending files to Photoshop from DPP? Whenever I try to do this photoshop shuts down

Nov 14, 2005 at 11:02 AM
bbailey
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What is DPP really for??

andrew_rs wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with sending files to Photoshop from DPP? Whenever I try to do this photoshop shuts down

For me, Photoshop CS opens, but no image is opened with it.

Nov 14, 2005 at 01:12 PM
Sherry Young

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What is DPP really for??

Andrew

Same problem here. If I try to send a converted file to Photoshop from DPP Photoshop opens briefly then crashes without displaying the file.

I can get the converted file into Photoshop by using the Photoshop File Open command.

Nov 14, 2005 at 01:20 PM
andrew_rs
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What is DPP really for??

Sherry Young wrote:
Andrew

Same problem here. If I try to send a converted file to Photoshop from DPP Photoshop opens briefly then crashes without displaying the file.

I can get the converted file into Photoshop by using the Photoshop File Open command.

I was able to transfer a file into photoshop in DPP by using File > Batch Process and then selecting Open image using software (I first had to "browse" to the photoshop executable file). The path to the photshop executable is saved for future exports, so this method ends up being just about as quick as Tools > Transfer to Photoshop

Nov 14, 2005 at 01:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password