Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2005 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

gunblue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Check this out:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/cmos/index-e.html

Sep 10, 2005 at 09:39 AM
Kevin M
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Sort of inevitable chain of events.
My understanding is that the reason that the basic dslr did not kick off with a 35mm sensor is that they were hellishly expensive to manufacture. It seems that Canon has found a way around this drawback and is reinstating a format that has been in wide use for a long, long time. If it aint broke etc etc etc.

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:37 AM
gunblue
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

If you try to read carefully between the lines, it seems that they will go full frame on all their DSLRs sooner or later. The site simply dumps the 2 sensors, APS-C/APS-H and favors full frame.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:51 AM
PParker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

I wonder if Canon has considered the idea of producing an even larger sensor than the 35 mm full frame equivelent. As they economize sensor production it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:52 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

I wonder if Canon has considered the idea of producing an even larger sensor than the 35 mm full frame equivelent. As they economize sensor production it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I don't think Canon wants to get into Medium Format. It's a much smaller market, compared to 35 mm. Many long standing MF manufacturers have ceased production just this year (Bronica, Contax). Canon would be at a severe disadvantage having to produce an entire product line of lenses and accessories before most MF users might even consider purchasing their system.

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:15 PM
J Andersen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Yes, they are indeed promoting the 35 mm format pretty unambigously over the other APS formats. Releasing the 5D is in my opinion a clear statement that APS will be dead at least for the pro and semi-pro models.

It will be interesting to see how Nikon and others will respond.

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:46 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

PParker wrote:

I'm with Jeff above. There's really no need to go any bigger than 36x24, and I don't see Canon dabbling in MF nor creating a new format. I can't say that Olympus' 4/3 gamble made any sense (sure there are things about the format that made sense, but it was effectively doomed to failure, as far as 'becoming the standard' goes).

Do we really need more resolution? I don't.

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:59 PM
jdaily
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

gunblue wrote:
If you try to read carefully between the lines, it seems that they will go full frame on all their DSLRs sooner or later.

I'm not sure your characterization is accurate. Certainly they promote the advantages of full frame, but there's nothing in there that libels smaller sensors; it's all technical fact.

They could just as easily come out with a new part of the site discussing the technical advantages of cropped sensors.

I find it interesting that there's no mention of viewfinder size and brightness; I don't know whether this means that they're unaware that their 1.6x viewfinders are mediocre (and that's being charitable), or whether they don't care to advertise that fact.

Sep 10, 2005 at 01:01 PM
gunblue
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

jdaily wrote:
I'm not sure your characterization is accurate. Certainly they promote the advantages of full frame, but there's nothing in there that libels smaller sensors; it's all technical fact.

It's a Canon Site which no. 1 purpose is not to educate but to market. It's basically the aim of all income generating companies. At the technology section, all the advantages of the full frame sensor over the cropped ones are there. But the site is to promote CMOS sensor. Nowhere in the site that they are promoting the cropped ones. By simply saying that the full frame sensor is far more superior than the cropped sensors on a General CMOS Sensor webpage or ads by the manufacturer itself is simply implying that they will kill the market for APS-C and APS-H soon.

Sep 10, 2005 at 01:36 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

On Canon's new webpage, how come they didn't show their FF+WA example with dark, soft corners?

I really wish that Canon would address the problems that FF sensors have (compared to film) 'amplified', if you will. Not that I didn't get some vignetting with film as well, but they really need to put some R&D into wides. It's not like there aren't some decent WA lenses out there to reverse-engineer!

Sep 10, 2005 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevei
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

It seems that Canon aren't alone in realising that you just can't beat sheer size of sensor:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp
First decent sized sensor in a point and shoot camera, I would expect to even see full frame point and shoot cameras eventually, after all, we had them with film.

Sep 10, 2005 at 03:22 PM
Steve_T90
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

I find it ironic that Canon is now the manufacturer that is working to keep existing lenses from obsolescence. It wasn't that long ago that they were blasted by one rival that kept its lens mount the same during the AF revolution ("you'll be able to use the same lens you bought in 1959," etc), and now those rivals' new digitals have some major compatibility issues with 35mm lenses, not to mention that they all waste a huge portion of those lenses' image circles. If the "sweet spot" rhetoric was much more than mere spin, Canonians would all be mounting Hasselblad lenses on their 1DsII's, wouldn't they?

Sep 10, 2005 at 03:50 PM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Jeff wrote:
I really wish that Canon would address the problems that FF sensors have (compared to film) 'amplified', if you will. Not that I didn't get some vignetting with film as well, but they really need to put some R&D into wides. It's not like there aren't some decent WA lenses out there to reverse-engineer!

Exactly!

This is why I hope they continue the 1.3 crop until this problem is solved. Once they design some killer wides I would be happy (glad) to kill the 1.3 crop, but not before that point... (although I guess you can crop a DsII image for the corners and still wind up with a lot of MP... for $7000)

Sep 10, 2005 at 04:08 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

VanIsle wrote:
Exactly!

This is why I hope they continue the 1.3 crop until this problem is solved. Once they design some killer wides I would be happy (glad) to kill the 1.3 crop, but not before that point... (although I guess you can crop a DsII image for the corners and still wind up with a lot of MP... for $7000)

The 24x36mm 1-series isn't going to stay that high. You'll see it at $5000 before the end of 2006.

Sep 10, 2005 at 06:19 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

RDKirk wrote:
The 24x36mm 1-series isn't going to stay that high. You'll see it at $5000 before the end of 2006.

Can I quote you on that?

BTW, what does TANSTAAFL stand for? I've been trying to figure it out for months, and I give up...

Sep 10, 2005 at 07:51 PM
jdaily
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Sep 10, 2005 at 07:59 PM
stevei
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Jeff wrote:
BTW, what does TANSTAAFL stand for? I've been trying to figure it out for months, and I give up...

You should read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, it's an excellent book.

Sep 10, 2005 at 08:10 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Thanks, that was killing me...

Sep 10, 2005 at 08:51 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

Steve_T90 wrote:
I find it ironic that Canon is now the manufacturer that is working to keep existing lenses from obsolescence. It wasn't that long ago that they were blasted by one rival that kept its lens mount the same during the AF revolution ("you'll be able to use the same lens you bought in 1959," etc), and now those rivals' new digitals have some major compatibility issues with 35mm lenses, not to mention that they all waste a huge portion of those lenses' image circles. If the "sweet spot" rhetoric was much more than mere spin, Canonians would all be mounting
...Show more

hehe , where have you been , many are mounting anything But a canon on their 1DsMKII's

J

Sep 10, 2005 at 09:07 PM
Venus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon pushing hard on Full Frame Sensor

What are they going to do with the thousands of angry 20D users if they dumped all the smaller sensors and only produce FF in future?? Many might jump ship and cross over to Nikon. Hopefully these guys at Canon wouldn't be so impetuous.

Sep 10, 2005 at 09:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password