FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Eldorage

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

These falls are in the White Mountains of central New Hampshire. It was a heavily overcast afternoon (downpour started a few minutes after this was taken) and thus no ND filter was needed for a long exposure. I did use a polarizer to reduce the glare from the wet rocks.

Please let me know what you think, the good and the bad.

Lens: EF-S 17-85mm @ 17mm. 10s at f/22, ISO 400.

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:14 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Fantastic image.
The fonly thought that came to my mind is to de-saturate the water to get rid of the cyan cast.
Henry

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:39 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Very nice composition at one of my favorite falls. Also not an easy place to take photos - I was there last year in the rain myself.

I agree with Henry.. the foliage also seems rather oversaturated at least on my monitor. --c

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:52 PM
mrbernie

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Silky smooth - perfect work on the water flow. But unfortunatly I have to agree with Charles that the foliage is a little too overpowering and a little less saturation would help.

I actually like the "cyan cast" on the water, gives it a even stronger feeling of dreaminess. Just my 2c

Good work regardless!

Aug 13, 2005 at 02:07 AM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

I'd like to see both an unsaturated version as well as this. Somehow the blue doesent bother me.

I love this location as well as all of the white mountains, and I think this is a wonderful compsition and image. Ive taken so so so many pictures in hte whites trying to obtain something nice like this - A month ago my wife patiently read and relaxed whilst i was the jack arese in the stream with the tripod and the camera......and all my pics look real boring and regular.

This gives me ideas, becuase much to the wife's dismay, ill keep doing it until i fugure out what my problem is - and I think the use of a polarizer and a nd filter are a really really good start. I know you accomplished this without one, and thats commendable. So many i have tried have been quashed by the haze and the lack of a long enough shutter speed.

THis photo gives me a new approach - and I really like it! Congrrats on a great image.

Aug 13, 2005 at 02:25 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Andrew, one hint for taking this type of shot is the weather. Overcast weather is best for waterfall and "deep forest" shots to prevent excessive contrast, shadows and harsh light. Dusk and dawn also work but are more challenging. And light rain can be your friend as well, as it gives a richness of color that is hard to get when things are dry. --c

Aug 13, 2005 at 02:40 AM
pappy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

It is a beautiful shot. I agree with Charles as well, very saturated here but still lovely nonetheless.

Aug 13, 2005 at 02:57 AM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Hey thanks charles. Appreciate that. I thing one of the things i struggle with is that when i shoot in this general area, im on vacation, so im not "stalking" my shots if you know what i mean. And if i showed you the 300 shots i took in jackson falls, you'd believe me.

Again, more insight into a shot that has always eluded me.

Thanks

andrew

Aug 13, 2005 at 03:20 AM
Eldorage

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Thanks for all the comments and kind words. I am very bad at noticing color casts until they are pointed out to me. Indeed, it turns out that I had the wrong white balance selected in the raw conversion. I must have been playing around with it and forgotten to set it back to "cloudy" when opening in PS.

So I redid the processing with the correct white balance and this seems to have de-neoned the green. What do you think now?

Aug 13, 2005 at 04:37 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

You're off your rocker if you go with that second edit. The first version is an absolute David Muench. The color cast is perfect, the eye-popping saturation is tropical, velvia-ish.

Please, don't always strive for technical perfection. White balance is a tool, not a rule. However, there IS a rule "clone out dead sticks" ;-)

Once again, an absolutely breath-taking image, that first one. I would really love to discover what white balance you're using to hit this magic spot for shooting waterfalls in woods under cloud cover...

-Matt-

Aug 13, 2005 at 06:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SJMD
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

sweet

Aug 13, 2005 at 09:06 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Somehow I prefer the first version too - the emerald-colored waters

Good shot!

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:02 PM
leobn
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

For me the 2nd one much better!!

regards

leo

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:09 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

That second version is gorgeous... and the reduced saturation has also brought out more detail in the greenery. --c

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:10 PM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

Yea, white balance is right on the second edit. But the first looks better IMO.

Andrew

Aug 13, 2005 at 04:17 PM
Eldorage

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

I find all the comments and opinions fascinating. Thanks everyone!

I am learning a lot from all this. Originally, when I bought my first dSLR a few months ago and started doing "serious" photography (it's still a hobby though), I thought my goal would be to capture "exactly what I see". Ha!

matthewsaville wrote:
I would really love to discover what white balance you're using to hit this magic spot for shooting waterfalls in woods under cloud cover...

First one: temperature = 5000, tint = -50. Plenty of saturation.
Second: temperature = 7200, tint = +30. Some saturation.

Aug 13, 2005 at 06:34 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

I too like your second version, yet find myself irresistibly attracted to your first one. The atmosphere that follows from the slightly oversaturated colors cannot be found in the "correct" second version. An interesting case. Thank you !

santiago

Aug 13, 2005 at 07:52 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

A pretty scene, done well.

Mark

Aug 13, 2005 at 07:54 PM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

It is kind of an odd call for me to say i like the first one. See, having been right in that exact place so many times, i KNOW and my brain knows that the water isnt that blue. Never. Somhow it does give it an awesome feel though!

Andrew

Aug 13, 2005 at 08:19 PM
FinnMan
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sabbaday Falls, NH

The second version is excellent.

A very beautiful shot.

Tuomo

Aug 13, 2005 at 08:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell