New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

harland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

I tried this question in another forum and didn't get any replies so I thought I would call out my fellow canon users! I am going to the yellowstone/grand teton region for 5 days this summer and I was looking for suggestion on photo locations. I have been there a few times before so I am looking for some more unique ideas. Thanks!

May 09, 2005 at 07:21 PM
Elrond
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Well, the overlooks are obvious if you want pics of the valley. Artist Point is my favorite. But, all those shots are predictable. Hayden Valley was full of buffalo last year, again a predictable sight. However, I did see a wolf and a grizzly have a dispute over a buffalo kill at Alum Creek last May. Quite exciting. The grizz got tired (after stuffing himself) and allowed the wolf to snag a leg. That aspect of Yellowstone is all about luck.

I did see a grizz and two cubs (on two separate occasions) about 3/4 of the way up from Norris towards Mammoth. Momma seemed to be crossing the road there every other morning. I also was told about a lot of bear activity between Tower and Canyon Lodge. I guess thats to be expected since that route has been closed for awhile.

Down at the Tetons, I love the reflection shots available at Jenny lake. There is a foot path that goes north along the lake and you can get some great shots early in the morning. Again, not unique - but go there if you have not done it.

May 09, 2005 at 08:11 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Thanks for the reply. You are right , alot of it depends on luck. I think I'll try to read up on some of the hiking trails that might lead to some out of the way places.

May 10, 2005 at 12:18 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

When will you be going to Grand Teton and Yellowstone? I am also going to be there, from May 24 to May 31.

May 10, 2005 at 01:03 AM
Mike Spinak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

In terms of easy access/day hike type of stuff, it seemed to me that Yellowstone was generally better for wildlife photography than Grand Tetons, and Grand Tetons were generally better for landscape photography than Yellowstone. Of course, great opportunities of both types can be found in both parks.

The hike up Cascade Canyon and then to Solitude lake is not to be missed, if you are in good enough condition for a ~15 day hike at 8-10,000 feet. If you are content with handheld shots, there is a lot of spectacular scenery to be found by rafting down the snake river through Grand Tetons. Look for especially good wildflower blooms in recently burned areas, in both parks. The river otters along the lake in Yellowstone can be accessible, if you have a long lens, and are fascinating, but less photographed, animals than Buffalo, bears, etc. The Grand canyon of the Yellowstone is full of great viewing and photographing opportunites.

--Mike

May 10, 2005 at 01:19 AM
Tom Buerk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

One of my favorite shots I got last year was of the elk refuge at the base of sleeping indian north of Jackson right off the highway at dawn. Oxbow bend didn't work out for me in July and appears to be better in the fall. Mormon Row at sunrise was worth the trip.

Visit some of the galleries in Jackson for inspiration early in your trip. Alot of it will definitely depend on luck.

If you really want to come back with some keeper shots, you'll need to key in on one or two places and plan on hitting them more than once.

Enjoy your trip!

May 10, 2005 at 01:40 AM
Roger Whitehead
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

For the Tetons you will want to be at Mormon Row for at least one sunrise. There are two distinct areas that you might want to schedule a sunrise for each one.

Schwabacher Landing at sunrise is also spectacular.

Oxbow bend at sunrise in the fall is wonderful. I don't have any experience for summer shots so YMMV.

RWW

May 10, 2005 at 02:27 AM
Chris Anderson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

We are going may 21 through 30th!

May 10, 2005 at 02:36 AM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

I second Cascade Canyon... a wonderful hike and great photo opps, such as looking back east over Jenny Lake. Still one of my favorite vacations ever! Want to go back with my current photo gear.
bb

May 10, 2005 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Gonna be in the Tetons 18-19 of June then In Yellowstone 20-26 June..hope to run into some other FMers there.

Rod

May 10, 2005 at 04:24 AM
harland
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be there in late july. I am hoping for some thunderstorms to give me some interesting skies. Last time I went i had my minolta film camera and didn't know the shutter was dragging until I got back and developed the pictures. Boy was I pissed!! Taking my 10D and letting my son learn with my old ElanII. Just have to buy a couple more memory cards.

May 10, 2005 at 04:31 AM
data1ore
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Drats...why did I have to buy my ticket and head home for the summer so quickly? Now I can't join nutek on this trip...grrrr.

May 10, 2005 at 06:51 AM
oscar282

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

We go four or five times a year to Yellowstone, Last trip, the day the park opened On April 22, Lots of wolves to be seen,as well as bears. Spend your time in the Lamar Valley.

May 10, 2005 at 12:18 PM
rwzeitgeist
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

harland wrote:
I am going to the yellowstone/grand teton region for 5 days this summer and I was looking for suggestion on photo locations. I have been there a few times before so I am looking for some more unique ideas. Thanks!

There's a small dirt road just north of the Oxbow Bend turnout. That road, which is around a mile long, ends where the West arm of the oxbow joins the Snake River. Along the road you'll find a nice view of the Tetons across a meadow, and an area used by the Lodge for cookouts.

At the end of the road is a parking area and a path leading along the West bank of the oxbow. Years ago Fisherman's Bridge crossed the Snake here, but the Park Service removed the bridge after it became unsafe.

Along the road and path I've seen deer, moose (e.g., cow with calf), beaver, other small mammals, and various birds. I would expect to find wildflowers at this time of year.

The NPS' map of the park shows the road but somewhat misrepresents the location of the water.

This isn't where you'll find the large landscapes, but (IMHO) this quiet area offers many more intimate opportunities.

Bob

May 10, 2005 at 01:10 PM
Tom Buerk
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

Anyone going to be there from July 18-25?

May 11, 2005 at 01:34 AM
ASTROGUY
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

I`ll be there June 27 - July 5.

May 11, 2005 at 02:38 AM
doctormoore
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yellowstone and teton suggestions

You've probably seen this book: Photographer's Guide to Yellowstone and the Tetons by Joseph K. Lange. Thought I'd mention it. It was a great help in planning my trip there last July.

May 11, 2005 at 04:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password