Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

DigicIII
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

I bought a air tight container and put all my lenses and body on it and some silica gel. My hygrometer reading right now is 50%-53% RH is it still safe?

Apr 30, 2005 at 02:04 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

The lower the humidity, the less likely you are to have problems with fungus. But if the humidity gets too low, static charges are more likely to develop, which could affect the internal electronics. Given that the static charges are far less likely to happen, I'd throw a few more silica packs in there if you live in a high-humidity environment. The only problem is that as soon as you open the container to check the hygrometer, you're letting the humidity in again. You'll go through a lot of silica gel.

Apr 30, 2005 at 02:07 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

but too low.. you also running into rubber components getting brittle..

Apr 30, 2005 at 02:28 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

use your equipment regularly and they shouldn't get fungus...

Apr 30, 2005 at 04:13 AM
freelancer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

Anything less than 60%RH will keep fungus out. As I live in the tropics, I am using a humidity cabinet where the RH is electronically controlled. My cabinet is set at around 45%RH to be on the safe side. Hopes this helps.

Apr 30, 2005 at 06:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

christo™
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

As long as you don't actually go swimming with it without a watertight container, you'll be fine. Jesus Christos -- what is the 'proper relative humidity my lens must be maintained within'? Gimme a break. If you see a lot of fungus growing, check your feet -- probably the source....

Apr 30, 2005 at 07:41 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

christo™ wrote:
As long as you don't actually go swimming with it without a watertight container, you'll be fine. Jesus Christos -- what is the 'proper relative humidity my lens must be maintained within'? Gimme a break. If you see a lot of fungus growing, check your feet -- probably the source....

If he's living in the tropics, then he might need the drybox. I had lived in the equatorial region before, and I have had fungus growing on my old lenses. But the reason was because I didn't use my equipment enough (i.e. maybe once every two months), and the still, humid air was good breeding ground for fungi.

Apr 30, 2005 at 05:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

it would be better if you at least put in the country your from so the answers given may be relative to that.

Apr 30, 2005 at 05:37 PM
christo™
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

sjms is correct. One of the things I really love about this forum is that people say "wait a minute, we need more information on your post".

May 02, 2005 at 05:59 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ideal rh% level for lenses?

sjms wrote:
it would be better if you at least put in the country your from so the answers given may be relative to that.

I thought N/A stood for North America.

May 02, 2005 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password