Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2005 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

Roy Pertchik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

Putting aside the question of FLR, here is the thing; I don't trust AF :-) Maybe I have trust issues. And maybe I havn't been using it long enough, and maybe in time, I'll get to know when it's reliable (actually, many times I do trust it, because it's obvious what it's doing if you focus on the side of a barn at 100' ) But, I also think a lot of other people around here don't trust it entirely, and I can prove that they don't.
How many times have you read somebody comenting, finding fault with a "ruler" type focus test saying that "You can't trust the test the way you've done it because the AF point might not be what you think it is, set up a flat vertical target in the middle of the inclined ruler, so you can be sure of what you are focusing on." That's a good criticism of the kind of ruler tests that omit a vertical target... and it reveals that in a very typical real world shot, say photoing objects on a table receding from you at about 45degrees, that you don't really know where the AF point is focussing.... it's the same situation... you can't have it both ways If I piont my center AF at the center of a ruler, and someone tells me, "The AF might be being fooled where to focus." that indicates to me that I better not completely rely on that confirmation beep if there is inclined texture near the AF point in a real world shot.
I look forward to having a split prism focusing screen so I can watch my split prism jump into clarity when my AF is working, and maybe in a little time I'll really get to know when AF is likely to fooled and when it is reliable.

Apr 08, 2005 at 03:49 AM
dtabb
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

nutek wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong - but what is all these hype with all these focus screens with split/micro-prisms?

1) If you're using MF, then you're defeating the purpose of using an AF-camera, and all the associated AF-goodies that came along with it.

2) The prism is only available in the center - are you going to resort to using the Focus+Lock+Recompose method for focussing on off-center subjects again? What are your 3, 7, 9 or 45 point AF points used for then?

3) If you're going to use your side AF points anyway, then what's the purpose of having a micro/split prism
...Show more

Huh?

Interchangeable focusing screens have been part of the high-end EOS AF system since the beginning, and still are. Canon offers them in many different configurations.

Your question should be "Why not?" for the 20D instead of "Why?"

DT

Apr 08, 2005 at 04:10 AM
Robert Oppelt
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

well Rachael is going to do this to my 10D so I will let you know how it go's :-)

Apr 08, 2005 at 04:42 AM
Nchakos
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

300Dwhich are available at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canondigicamhacking/files/How%20To%20Remove%20
the%20Canon%20Digital%20Rebel%20Focusing%20Screen.pdf.

how do you get to that site? it wont let me in. says i have to be a member

Apr 08, 2005 at 06:03 AM
nutek
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 20D Split/Micro Prism Focusing Screen available!

dtabb wrote:
Huh?

Interchangeable focusing screens have been part of the high-end EOS AF system since the beginning, and still are. Canon offers them in many different configurations.

Your question should be "Why not?" for the 20D instead of "Why?"

DT

If you know what you are doing, then go ahead and get one.
If you don't know what you are doing, then don't get one.
That is the point I'm trying to say.

"Why not?" for the 20D? I don't know... Perhaps Canon should really introduce focussing screens for the 20D - they'll earn loads of $$$, but it'll be no surprise then to see more pictures turning out more blur just because people 'mis-use' or misunderstand the use of the focussing screen.

Apr 08, 2005 at 08:32 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password