New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · Film SLR?

scubafrogman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film SLR?

How many of you still use your film SLR?

The reason I'm asking is I have recently purchased a 20D as my main camera. I have already bought one lens and a TC and plan to buy more. I have a Minolta Maxxum 400si SLR that I was thinking of trading in on a Canon Elan 7. This way I could use the lens I purchase on a SLR film camera.

I'm just not sure if I will take any pictures on film anymore since the 20D is so convient. Is it worth trading in my Minolta in on a new or used Elan?

Thanks!

Apr 01, 2005 at 05:49 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film SLR?

How much money will you get for your 400 si ?
I had a 400 SI, but I gave it to my father and bought a Maxxum 7 prior I seriously jumped into digital. A great camera I like to use. I have been thinking about trading it for a canon equivalent but the price I could get out of it is so low (due to everyone buying DSLRs now that you can get one for a not so high price), so I will likely not sell it. Sure it does not get so much use now and it is a pitty.

Apr 01, 2005 at 06:17 PM
Daniel Buck
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film SLR?

I still use my EOS-1, I use it for landscapes or when I go to places like Sedona.

Apr 01, 2005 at 06:22 PM
walter23
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film SLR?

I still use my film camera. Actually I only use my film camera since I don't have a dSLR yet. In a couple of months I'm getting a 20D (or rebel XT, undecided) plus a 17-40L and I plan to keep my film body handy for ultra-wide and fisheye shots. I can't afford or justify an EF-S 10-22, it's way overpriced in my opinion, and I really like my zenitar 16mm fish, it's my favorite lens. I also do a fair bit of very long exposure stuff at night - star trails, meteor showers, etc. Digital is getting a lot better, but I'd be more comfortable using film for this.

So I can only speak for myself, but were I in your shoes I'd probably get the elan 7 to complement the digital... but honestly it's only worth it if you think you're going to use it. If you can't think of specific reasons to get one (ie, ultra-wide coverage or particular film characteristics you don't want to have to emulate) there's no reason to spend the money. You won't be able to use your EF-S 18-55 kit lens with it.

Apr 01, 2005 at 06:31 PM
jtorral
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film SLR?

I use my leica film rangefinder as often as my 1DSII. I am a believer that film is still hard to beat but digital is getting close. With my scanner, I get the equiv of a 42 megapixel image from my film. Not to mention that 50 years from now, my grand children will probably be able to dig through a box of negatives and print pictures of his good looking grand dad I doubt if they will find a file stashed somewhere to pull up on their pc.

Oh, not to mention you CANNOT beat the optics of a rangefinder. It has to do with the manufacturers like Zeiss, Leica and the physical charactersitics of an RF lens.

Apr 01, 2005 at 06:45 PM
kpagel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film SLR?

I've been using my Voigltander Bessa R so much lately I'm thinking of selling all my Canon gear, plus my Voigtlander stuff that I have now and just getting an R2a (Leica M mount, and auto exposure, so a significant upgrade) and one Leica lens and just use that all the time.

Apr 01, 2005 at 06:58 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film SLR?

I just went back to film
It's a joyful occassion to see that nice bright and big FF viewfinder and hear that satisfying film-winding sound again.

Apr 01, 2005 at 07:11 PM
jmardy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film SLR?

I still shoot film as well, after a long digital only phase.
I only shoot slide film and have it processed then scan it myself.
The full frame viewfinder is really a treat after using the 20D.

I have an EOS 3 which is amazing but any of the recent EOS cameras are great. The 1, 1N, and 7's.. all good.

And now I show you my Velvia cow:
http://www.96k.com/photography_source/velvia_cow_0139.jpg

Apr 01, 2005 at 07:44 PM
dasos1

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film SLR?

Nice moo cow!

I just bought the 20D and have been using it so much, I don't have much time for the Elan7 anymore.

That said, I still occasionally yearn for that back-to-basics exercise that comes from using the K1000, and when we go to Utah in May, I will be bringing the 20D and the K1000. It's a good feeling.

Apr 01, 2005 at 07:53 PM
Natron
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film SLR?

jtorral wrote:
I use my leica film rangefinder as often as my 1DSII. I am a believer that film is still hard to beat but digital is getting close. With my scanner, I get the equiv of a 42 megapixel image from my film. Not to mention that 50 years from now, my grand children will probably be able to dig through a box of negatives and print pictures of his good looking grand dad I doubt if they will find a file stashed somewhere to pull up on their pc.

Oh, not to mention you CANNOT beat the optics of a
...Show more

Indeed. I think many who say film is inferior and can't even match a D30 aren't testing it or using it properly or are simply accepting what they read on website run by digital fanboys with biased writeups as fact.

I can only speak for myself. Using MY scanner with MY film, MY film images are spectacular. I recently scanned in a couple batches of Fuji NPH and NPZ and wondered "where is this 'huge film grain' everyone keeps talking about" ... the scans were gorgeous. Film not only has huge resolution but can also have that "look" that's so pleasing. Yeah I've used Photoshop plugins that claim to make your digital images look just like Fuji Velvia.. "OOOH!" I thought, "No need for Velvia anymore since it can tweak my digital images to mimic it" .... Right. Close but no cigar.

And, yes, the fact that rangefinder lenses don't need huge, complex retrofocus designs that require lots of extra glass and compromises in order to work means they can easily build lenses of high optical quality. Think about it... you build a 20mm lens but the rear element would protrude too far back so you have to add a bunch of light-bending glass behind it to get it to work on your SLR system. What happens when you take a sharp lens like the 135L and add a bunch of glass housed inside of a Canon 2X Extender behind it? Reduction of image quality.

Apr 01, 2005 at 07:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jtorral
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film SLR?

What the heck these are all scanned on Minolta scanner.

Here is Velvia 100 from one of my Rangefinders:

here is Velvia 50 from another rangefinder:

And here is one from my M6 and a 35 summicron using Kodak fil I picked up at a grocery store

Apr 01, 2005 at 08:08 PM
Natron
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film SLR?

The other nice thing about film is that you can shoot negative films and have huge exposure latitude. Sure, you can take multiple exposures with a digital SLR but you can't do that unless it's a COMPLETELY static scene.. so you can't use that trick on something like a wedding photo. You can shoot RAW to try to squeeze more dynamic range out of a photo but you can only squeeze so much juice out before it runs dry. Negative films like Kodak Tri-X will give you tremendous exposure latitude. In fact, some people with cameras like a Leica M3 that has no meter will use their eye to simply guess the exposure and don't even worry about using a meter because the film has such wide latitude and is so forgiving that it's not critical like it is with slide film or digital SLRs. And if you shoot color negative, you can do double or triple scans of the same negative at different exposures to squeeze detail out of both shadow and highlight areas that you couldn't touch with a current digital SLR.

Plus, something like my Nikon FE2 or Voigtlander Bessa R2 fits in the palm of your hand, Even the 20D body without a lens attached dwarfs my Bessa with my Leica 35mm lens ON it.

All film. Some rangefinder, some SLR:

Apr 01, 2005 at 08:50 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film SLR?

I use digital because it's extremely convenient, inexpensive, and fun. I can walk out the door and shoot 500 images without thinking twice. Ripping through 20 rolls of film is something to think twice about.

I don't use digital because it looks better than film. It doesn't. It can be comparable when doing smaller prints, but that's it. My old Pentax with good glass and a roll of decent film will run circles around almost any DSLR in terms of image quality.

That being said, I just gave away my Pentax because I haven't used it in years.

Apr 01, 2005 at 09:54 PM
jtorral
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Film SLR?

Digital is convenient and renders quick results. Something film has yet to offer besides Polaroid

However, The best of both world is just around the corner. Leica R8 or R9 film cameras with swapable digital backs. Due out this month This way you can shoot both. And, a Digital M with the same concept due next year.

I see my Canon stuff on ebay soon

Apr 01, 2005 at 10:08 PM
Heechee
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Film SLR?

Vow, great pics jtorral and Natron! As to the original question, I do think it would be a good idea to use the same lenses on both film and digital bodies, if one uses both.

At the moment there aren't any 1.6x crop fisheye lenses, so to get these pictures you need film, or a lot of money (EOS 33V, Sigma 15mm rectangular fish, Velvia 100F):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~heechee/sigma15/IMG153.jpg
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~heechee/sigma15/IMG158.jpg

Apr 01, 2005 at 10:21 PM
walter23
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Film SLR?

jtorral wrote:
What the heck these are all scanned on Minolta scanner.

What scanner model did you use for those?

Apr 01, 2005 at 10:44 PM
jtorral
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Film SLR?

all excpeth the mountain shot were scanned with a Scan Multi pro. at 4800 dpi.

The mountain shot was scanned with a 5400 eliete II at 5400 dpi

Apr 01, 2005 at 11:21 PM
Tom Conte
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Film SLR?

I love the look of film.

I have a few film cameras to keep me going (an Eos 630, Eos Elan IIe, Eos 55, Eos 1v, FD New F-1, FD A-1, FD T90, and a Leica M6).

Ok I need to sell a couple of these, I've over-done it!

Nevertheless, it is a more purposeful action using film. There is more of a commitment to do something final. It makes me think more about my image making. "Baloney," you say? Too "artsy-fartsy?" I've heard that. Photography is an art. Artists in the 21st century are using oil paints, chisels on granite, etc., not lasers. The medium matters in the creation.

(Ok, my apologies.)

Tom

Apr 02, 2005 at 12:28 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Film SLR?

Since going digital (20D) I've been making much better pictures than I ever did and I've never looked back. I still have one Canon film SLR left, which I'm not planning on selling, but I'm not planning on using it either (no need).

Apr 02, 2005 at 01:13 AM
Gearfiend
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Film SLR?

The learning curve is much steeper with digital. I've learned more and become a better photogrpaher in a few weeks with my 350D than I could in months with my Olympus. I look forward to getting a Canon film body to use alongside my dRebel with the same glass to truly appreciate photogrpahy.

FYI...there was a great Elan 7NE on the B+S forum yesterday.

Apr 02, 2005 at 02:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password