Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

petermendelson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I am taking my wife to Paris for her 40th birthday at the beginning of May, and am either going to take my Pro1 or my 20D plus lenses.

I am tempted to take my Pro1 for a few reasons: light and easy to carry, don't have to be quite as concerned about theft as with my 20D (i.e., if it's stolen it won't be as big a loss); small camera with swiveling lcd = good candid street photography opportunities. Of course, the Pro1 is lousy at high ISOs, so it would be best used in good light outside.

If I do take the 20D, then I have to pick which lenses. I would probably want to take my 10-22, 24-70, and 135 f/2 w/1.4x tc, but this is a lot to carry. I could maybe substitute my 50mm 1.4 for the 24-70L for a low-light lens (I wish Sigma would release the 30mm 1.4 before we leave).

I don't want to make my wife feel like she is on a photography trip rather than a vacation, so I don't want to be overburdened with gear. On the other hand, what great photo opportunities!

Finally, should I definitely bring my Gitzo 1228 plus Markins M10? If I can get out of bed super early in the morning I can see using it to take great shots, but I can't see carrying it around all day.

Thanks,

-Peter

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:02 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Bringing a tripod for your anniversary trip to Paris so you can sneak of bed in the morning with it

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:05 PM
pthompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Peter: I can't imagine going to Paris without taking the best camera equipment you have available. You don't have to take all of your lenses out every day - make a selection when you leave your room based on itinerary. I would definitely take the four lenses you mention plus a tripod...and plenty of CF.

And tell what's-her-name that it is all to get the very best pictures of her in Paris that money can buy...

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:14 PM
CurtPick
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Pete,

If it were me, and it isn't.
I would take the 20D as a carry on.

Heck good shots are hard to come by !
Wives are easily replaced !

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:15 PM
Martin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I really like to travel light in urban settings. You are less noticeable, and better equipped to take truely candid shots. Go with the Pro 1,

No tripod!!

Martin

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:16 PM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

pthompson wrote:
Peter: I can't imagine going to Paris without taking the best camera equipment you have available. You don't have to take all of your lenses out every day - make a selection when you leave your room based on itinerary.

But you will get it wrong and kick yourself!

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:18 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Depends on what type of photography your looking at doing,

If its just holiday snaps then the Pro would be the better choice, If you want to get some serious shots then its the 20D all the way!

Personally I would go for the 20D and lenses..... You don't want to travel all that way then get there and then go "Bugger me I wish I had brought the 20D with me" Or spend all holidays thinking "Oh this shot would be great If I could capture it with my 10-22mm lens"

Why don't you bring both cameras with you? You could leave one at your hotel coulden't you? That way there is no comprimise!

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:19 PM
petermendelson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Thanks everyone. EOS20 - that's it, I will bring both! Why didn't I think of that?

I was in Madrid last Fall with my 20D and 24-70L and 70-200L f/4 (which I sold), and I wanted something wider (hence I bought the 10-22). In retrospect, I don't think I could have gotten the same results with the Pro1 alone in Madrid (my galley of Madrid shots is here: http://peterm1.smugmug.com/gallery/249797).

I might as well take the tripod too I guess, for when I have time by myself to set up some nice scenics. After all, it's Paris and I don't know when I will get the chance to do this again. We are staying in the Marais, which should have lots of great photo ops.

I have 5 gigs of CF storage (for over 500 RAW), which should see me through five days, especially since I will have my laptop to download pics to in the evening.

Thanks all,

-Peter

Mar 25, 2005 at 03:39 PM
infosecgeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I agree completely I was in the same situation a while back... I ended up taking my G3 and I still regret it....

pthompson wrote:
Peter: I can't imagine going to Paris without taking the best camera equipment you have available. You don't have to take all of your lenses out every day - make a selection when you leave your room based on itinerary. I would definitely take the four lenses you mention plus a tripod...and plenty of CF.

And tell what's-her-name that it is all to get the very best pictures of her in Paris that money can buy...

Mar 25, 2005 at 04:17 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

infosecgeek wrote:
I agree completely I was in the same situation a while back... I ended up taking my G3 and I still regret it....

Could I ask why? I was in actually in the reverse situation - I actually wanted a P&S when I was in Europe...

Mar 25, 2005 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

infosecgeek
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Actually I had my S85 Sony..... This is why..... This picture is probably my favorite from the past few years and I still regret to this day I didn't have the reach.

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/500/3101Poverty_in_the_heart_of_Wealth.jpg

Don't get me a wrong a P&S will give you great shots...These were taken with my pocket S200 (same reason didn't want to drag the larger camera) But in a place so beautiful and full of culture how can you not bring your best... I will go back with my wife hopefully next year. This time I will be prepared.

http://www.hightechcrimes.com/pics/paris_6.jpg

http://www.hightechcrimes.com/pics/paris2.jpg

Mar 25, 2005 at 05:47 PM
beauport
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Paris is always a visual treat and I have to second your decision to take both cameras. You'll be glad you took the 20D as there are so many things a P&S won't do justice to.

Mar 25, 2005 at 05:52 PM
palderman
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

and by all means bring the tripod,. the night shots will make the trip.......

Mar 25, 2005 at 07:17 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the Pro 1. It really pepped the camera up.

Though it takes a lot for me to let go of the 20D and tote the Pro 1, I know the Pro 1 is very capable of doing the majority of walk around stuff and it's nonsense to lug the heavy stuff, changing lenses and whatnot. Though she never says anything, I notice it does take a a bit off the freedom and fun with my partner when I'm distracted and messing around with gear. I may think I might miss a great shot, but maybe I'm missing something else with my dearest which is more important.

Mar 25, 2005 at 07:48 PM
HinduG
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

pthompson wrote:
Peter: I can't imagine going to Paris without taking the best camera equipment you have available. You don't have to take all of your lenses out every day - make a selection when you leave your room based on itinerary.

Thats asking for trouble. Unless you're staying at a very expensive hotel, you're not going to have a place to store your valuables. Paris' biggest problem is petty theft. And camera equipment catches a big premium in the black market.

I did Paris this past summer with an Elan7E and the 28-135IS. I didn't worry so much about missing shots. I worried a lot more about missing opportunities to explore and see such a great city. You're going to be immersed in so much culture, that honestly I don't think you'll have time to fiddle around with lenses (unless thats your plan).

Bring a good walk around lens, and that'll suffice.

Just my 2cents.

Mar 25, 2005 at 08:30 PM
stevej2001

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

If I was faced with this decision, I'd go with my 20d and maybe just my 35f2. That makes for a small, light kit (for a dslr). I've done this already on trips with my wife who has limited patience for photography. You get the quality of 20d images without all the other stuff draging you down.

Mar 25, 2005 at 08:30 PM
beauport
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I have a very different take from HinduG above. Paris like any large city requires an awareness of your security but this should not prevent you from using your equipment to capture great photo opportunities. As you'll be there on holiday to celebrate your wife's birthday the time together will be foremost but this shouldn't inhibit capturing this with your 20D. I've photographed the city many times spanning 3 decades and I've never had any issues walking around Paris with pro level gear.

Mar 25, 2005 at 08:36 PM
HinduG
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I wasn't suggesting that it can't be done, but that he should think hard before bringing expensive equipment with him.

Walking around Paris is remarkably safe, and I don't worry about him in that regard. However, all the materials I've read mention that leaving valuables in a hotel is bad.

Mar 25, 2005 at 08:46 PM
petermendelson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

Well, I am staying in a luxury hotel with a safe, so I should be able to leave some of my gear in my room, and I will have to leave my laptop there.

It's hard for me to narrow down my lens selection, since I can see really wanting to use my 10-22 and 24-70L a lot, and I am even tempted to bring my 70-200L IS with me since I used my 70-200L f/4 a lot in Madrid. The 135 f/2 is fantastic but nothing beats the versatility of the zoom when walking around. Then of course I want to bring my 50mm 1.4 too for low-light shooting. Now I see myself walking around laden down with 15 pounds of gear - maybe I should just take the Pro1 instead after all! (Just kidding).

I have a nice Lowepro Toploader bag with 2 side bags which can hold my 20D with 70-200L IS in the main bag, 10-22 and 50mm 1.4 in one side bag, and 24-70L in the other bag. There is no room for lens hoods, though. Maybe I should just bring my Minitrekker so I can fit everything even though it will make me look even more like a tourist.

If only Canon would come out with a Pro2 with IS and good high-ISO performance, I wouldn't have this dilemma.

-Peter

Mar 25, 2005 at 09:14 PM
vonWerner
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trip to Paris - 20D or Pro1?

I know I'm way out on a limb here.

But, if the trip really is for your wife... bring the Pro-1 (just the Pro-1, no tripod).

I say this as a 20D owner with the super primes, the CF Gitzo... etc.

I guess you know what the Pro-1 is capable of. I found out recently, when I edited some Antarctic photos for a friend: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/antarctica

Good Luck!

Mar 25, 2005 at 09:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password