p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

sorry what I ment was you would go double your MP from 4MP to 8.3MP

Mar 25, 2005 at 06:46 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

EOS20 wrote:
I have seen alot of 1Ds mk I's for sale over the past few weeks selling at prices near and even less than a new 20D!

If that were indeed true, it'd be crazy for anyone to even consider a 20D, unless they had to have optimal high-ISO performance. I doubt any 1Ds' in the states are anywhere near that price, but I've been known to be wrong...

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:48 PM
sbg72

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

Horses for courses. You pick the tool for the job. 20D is a great camera. 1D is a great camera. Identify your needs then find a way to meet them. The model name/number of the camera is completely irrelevant. What matters is does it meet your needs.

Mar 26, 2005 at 01:50 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

cokids wrote:
I very seldom shoot wide..in fact, recently shot bald eagles in flight w/ the 100-400 and was disappointed that there wasn't enough detail to make the shots usable w/ the 1D. I live in Maine and do lots of landscape, seascape, nature stuff.

How about AI Servo on the 20D? Is it as good as the 1D? That comes in handy for birds!!

Beth

Beth,
I have a 1DII and a 20D and do primarily wildlife shooting. I tend to use the 20D with my 500/4 and a 1.4x when I want to take advantage of the 1.6 crop factor, which gives my lens combo and effective 25% boost in reach. I've been able to get detail on roosting eagles, hawks, etc. with that combination that I just can't get with the 1DII because of the 1.3 crop factor. On the other hand, when reach isn't as important but my ability to track an object that is moving fast and irratically, I use the 1DII. The servo tracking ability of the 20D is not a match for that of the 1DII or 1D. Still, though, I've been impressed with the 20D's ability in servo, While not at the level of the
1DII or 1D, it is quite capable and a significant improvement over the 10D.
I like having the combination of the two bodies that I have because it allows me to either take advantage of the crop factor or the better AF system, depending on which is more called for in the shooting situation. If, however, I could not afford both, I would have no trouble using the 20D for both static scenes and for shooting action and would spend the extra money on better glass (especially considering that, 5 years down the road, the glass is still going to be worth almost as much as you pay for it and the body, regardless of which it is, is going to be virtually worthless). As you said, the advantage of the 20D is going to be the extra pixels. No matter what people say about the "quality" of the 4 million pixels on the
1D, it is really nice to be able to shoot with 8 million pixels, be able to crop away 3/4 of those pixels to fill the frame with a wildlife shot, and still have enough detail to be able make stunning, sharp 16x20 prints.
Les

Mar 26, 2005 at 02:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bquinn
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

Prices will only go up if people are willing to pay that high price

Seeing used 1D MkII's going for low 3k's I can't imagine people thinking they can sell their 1D MkI for 2k and more. I've noticed a couple people asking 2,000-2,300 for a mint 1D....that's crazy. I'm holding out and plan on finding a nice 1d for around 1,500-1,600.

Mar 26, 2005 at 02:23 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

I noticed the original post was changed from 1Ds to 1D... That makes a lot more sense; think I'd opt for the 20D, in that case.

Mar 26, 2005 at 05:38 AM
infosecgeek
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · We drove the prices up on the 1D

Yeh sorry... I screwed up when I posted it..

Mar 26, 2005 at 06:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password