New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2005 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

The Big Bad
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

This isnt a thread to start a debate, nor one to make myself a martyr, its simply a good-bye message to those of you whom I have come to know in my time at this forum.

I've learned a ton of very valuable information in my time here and I hope that I have been able to give back at least a small percent of what I have taken.

Things have simply taken too much of a change here for my liking. Theres still alot of great people and lots of great new members who Ive briefly "met" in various threads as well.

There are however far too many cocky "newbie" types who think they know everything, dont come here for the common reason the rest of us came, to learn and help one another, and generally its just reminding me too much of DP Review. Too much of what drew me here has changed, or perhaps Ive changed some and the forum has changed some. At any rate I have a sour taste left in my mouth from it.

Jeff and the moderators have done a great job at trying to keep order and I commend them on the work they do.

It is worth noting however that I have become tired of being expected to sit back and take any insults that some cocky new members may make towards me. I try to take the higher ground but I am only human and at some point I have to respond back.

I simply dont think it is right, nor fair, that myself and other forum members who have put in thousands of hours contributing helpful and friendly advice on this forum should be repremanded for the .01% of comments that the power's who be feel are not appropriate, yet the cocky jackass of the week who is becoming more and more common doenst suffer the same repremand.

Im sorry to say this but Ive come to feel that myself and others who have remained here to share your experience simply arent given enough respect by the administrators of this forum.

Ive come to feel that this forum cares more about simply attracting every new DSLR owner to come join and hopefully buy some software than they do about providing a good experience for all.

So goodbye to those of you I've come to know well. I will enjoy memories of our past discussions.

Lastly, dont take this to imply that FM is not still a great forum. It is, I think its the best on the internet still. It simply is a matter of differing viewpoints that Ive come to possess that dont fit in with how the forum is run and what an increasinly large percentage of the community members are comprised of.

I was the guest here, and now it is time for me to leave

best wishes to you all

Mar 02, 2005 at 06:15 AM
The Big Bad
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I lied, one more post

Just wanted to add that my decision is final and I will not be changing my mind on the matter. Im not going to be responding nor checking this thread.

I am simply leaving it as a farewell message to all of those who have come to know me. I do hope that it can stay up for a days time or so simply to let people know that Im gone. I've come to know hundreds of you personally and im sure 1000's impersonally so a PM farewell simply isnt possible

thanks again to all of you and to Fred for providing such a great resource

Mar 02, 2005 at 06:18 AM
mudlake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

Well BB, I like your posts and I like your attitude, but I don't understand why you would sign off like this. First over on Dpreview and now here. Why leave something behind because a few things have changed? Post or don't post or just take a long break. This good-bye stuff has me perplexed.

Mar 02, 2005 at 06:23 AM
Joris Beverloo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

Sorry to hear about your decision BB. Although I am a pretty newbie as well, I am not being cocky and I try to treat(spelled right?) with the most respect. Anyway, this forum is very usefull for me and I still enjoy coming here. And I think it is a shame that we will loose your knowledge.
Thank you for some helpfull postst for me. Take care

Mar 02, 2005 at 07:35 AM
sols
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I'm really sorry to read that. It is sad that one of the more sane voices in this forum has opted to leave.

Please keep your options open. Take a long break and when you want to come back, you are welcome. Maybe on a different username!!!

Good bye and good luck,
Sol

Mar 02, 2005 at 07:50 AM
chrisutley
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

All forums suffer from these issues to some extent, but FM is so unique when you look at how many users there are here. Most forums that approach this size have gone to hell by now. FM is still light years better than most, and I'm talking about forums of all kinds not just photo boards.

I know this will never fly, but here's how how you defeat the rude people. Ignore them... It's as simple as that. They thrive on attention, it is what they crave - PERIOD. Good or bad, they are looking for attention. If you deprive them long enough, they will go elesewhere. If you want to save FM, spread the word. Take the high road and ignore them ... in time they will go away, I promise. You will always have a few new ones to take their place, but by ignoring them their impact will be minimal.

Mar 02, 2005 at 07:56 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

Hi Big Bad,

Things aren't so bad in the other FM-forums like Landscape or Nature. I do hope you reconsider though - you have been a really valuable resource.

Wenyao

Mar 02, 2005 at 08:00 AM
walter23
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

If I had a nickel for every melodramatic goodbye note I've ever read on the internet... I'd have more nice glass than every signature in this thread alone!

-Cocky newbie

Mar 02, 2005 at 08:09 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

"There are however far too many cocky "newbie" types who think they know everything, dont come here for the common reason the rest of us came, to learn and help one another, and generally its just reminding me too much of DP Review."

Most of life's worthwhile endeavors are soiled with young cocky males strutting their stuff. Play music, race bikes, surf, etc., and you get a taste of it daily. That's the nature of youth and nothing will change it. Most are full of themselves because they're attempting to mask insecurity. Their greatest fear is being perceived as dickless and weak. Hence, their rude and cocky behavior. Eventually some will gain enough confidence to quit checking their manhood and begin considering the needs and feelings of others.

Welcome to the real world.

Mar 02, 2005 at 08:10 AM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

You'll be missesd (even though you *might* not see this post.

With the advent of CHEAP alwwys on Broadband / ADSL connections and even cheaper computers I'm afraid this problem will just get worse-- I've seen the same thing happen on a Serious Harley Davidson Forum -- you can tell the usually sub-teen idiots who probably have never even SEEN a bike never mind about being too young to even THINK of getting a drivers licence.

However the Harley Forum isn't always as kind or forgiving as the FM forums so the offenders usually leave as they either get flamed to bits or else nobody takes any notice of them .

You just have to be more selective these days -- OK perhaps you need to filter out 100 posts whereas previously you only had to weed through 5 or 10 but just IGNORE the stuff that comes from the "obvious Know it Alls" -- I won't pander to their pathetic little imaginations by even calling them Trolls -- even a Troll has more sense than some of these people.

Sometimes I wonder whether a "Closed Forum" might be better such as restricting the membership of certain groups like say the Pro area -- but on the other hand even a beginner has to start somewhere --we all were once.

I think the best thing we can say about this is just ignore what you don't like

On the whole I've tried to put back into the forum something of what I've got out of it and just leave the stuff that's been asked over and over again.

It's still far far better here than at over DP.....w.

Anyway I'm still staying (and on the whole still enjoying it).

Cheers
-K

Mar 02, 2005 at 10:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

That is a great shame, especially as you were one of the most tolerant and helpful people on the forum.

Newbie or no newbie, courtesy should be taken for granted from everyone and respect given to those that obviously know a lot more about the subject than most of us but aggresion and rudeness has no place.

Mar 02, 2005 at 10:39 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

This makes no sense to me. One is free to be selective. To respond or not to respond. To comment or not comment. The true problems swoop in, are quickly put in their place and banned e.g. our recent "wedding revolutionizer" and we move on. The true backbone of the forum are those like the Big Bad, Guy Mancuso and several other frequent contributors and others who really know what the hell they are doing and help the rest of us along with their commentary and suggestions.

I simply do not understand this logic.

Mar 02, 2005 at 11:37 AM
PaulCBaker

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I don't know which bothers me least, drama queens, primadonnas, the arrogance of youth, the timid, or cynics. But all play their part in FM life, or any other life come to that.
The voice of tomorrow says 'Never heard of him' about all of us.

Mar 02, 2005 at 11:39 AM
Alex53
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I just hope this departure does not have the effect of making the forum more elitist and less welcoming of beginners.

This would make all beginners suffer the 'stuck-up' effect that comes with elitism and which we dont all deserve, just because of a few stupid people.

I am certainly not cocky, not concerned about the size of my...camera, and I am grateful for every piece of knowledge I have acquired thanks to every pro or beginner that has been kind enough to share it with me.

Mar 02, 2005 at 11:54 AM
sbg72

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

PaulCBaker wrote:
I don't know which bothers me least, drama queens, primadonnas, the arrogance of youth, the timid, or cynics. But all play their part in FM life, or any other life come to that.
The voice of tomorrow says 'Never heard of him' about all of us.

I'd have to go with primadonnas.

Mar 02, 2005 at 11:58 AM
GoldenBoy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I think Big Bad has more issues than the primadonna newbies.

Ditto the message of his from Dpreview. It's exactly identical except he actually praises FM in this version. People come and go from ANY forum but no need to make a public statement. There are many experts here and having ability to ignore those who don't necessary agree with your opinion or accept others whose opinions are different than yours takes maturity. Sorry, but it does sound little like a "sore loser" mentality. The only reason I had to say it like it is because it's not the first time I've seen Big Bad leave a departing message on a forum. It's like someone leaving a suicide note. So I think there's more upstairs that need to be addressed than cocky newbies.

Back to bed...

Mar 02, 2005 at 12:11 PM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

I think it has to do with raiders, people who get off on putting others down, thereby having some illusion of elevating themselves. Peoples whose self respect, self worth, self confidence is so low or damaged that they can only synthetically raise it by dumping on others. Those who doubt their own intelligence to the extent that they are driven to carry on endless and empty intellectual debates to win points rather than illuminate themselves and others. Those with more ego than experience. Those who throw out second-hand "facts", because they have no hands-on experience of their own, to somehow appear superior. Those whose self-importance is far greater than their accomplishments. Those who have nowhere else in their desparate lives to vent their frustrations.

It's not newbies, oldies, pros, amateurs or hobbiests as such. One can have a certain amount of compassion, because we have all been there at some time or the other, but we don't have to tolerate anything beyond our personal thresholds. When we find ourselves beyond our personal thresholds we have the choice, answer in kind, answer in wisdom, answer in charactor, answer with reality or don't answer at all.

It's like Granma, the wise old crow, the time the cookies burned. Walked over to the oven, cracked the door, took a whiff, turned it off, settled back in her rocking chair, got that far away look in her eyes and said "Well screw it."

Mar 02, 2005 at 12:43 PM
spartan123
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

Sorry, but could a person be more dramatic

Mar 02, 2005 at 01:05 PM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

This farewell could have been handled a bit more tactfully by a person calling for tact and meaningful content on a "disintegrating" board. A few PM's or e-mails to longstanding FM buddies would have sufficed, BB.

We all knew for a long time that he wasn't happy here. He made a post of a list of posts on the front page that showcased, in his belief, how the board had fallen to The Ignorant. Then his next post was about "I just got another 20D and I don't have anything to go out and shoot so it's just sitting there in my camera bag. What should I do?" I wanted to comment on that at the time, but thought better of it.

Mar 02, 2005 at 01:26 PM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Big Bad is leaving the forum

Despite ocassional problems and squabbles, I am casting my vote for the "this is a great forum" category...Anyone else care to vote yea or nay?

Mar 02, 2005 at 01:48 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password