FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · My favorite place

kaweah
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My favorite place

Thought I'd share some shots from a trip to the Sierra Nevada last autumn. Just past peak color, but it didn't matter because the Sierra is always beautiful to me. Comments welcome. Thanks.

# 1 Falls

# 2 Old Shell

Feb 18, 2005 at 04:48 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My favorite place

Hi Jen. Nice color in #1. I can see why you like that place. You might want to consider cropping out the sky in #1. It seems to divert my attention from the rest of the lovely scene without contributing anything.

Feb 18, 2005 at 06:59 PM
kaweah
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My favorite place

DonH wrote:
You might want to consider cropping out the sky in #1. It seems to divert my attention from the rest of the lovely scene without contributing anything.

You're right. I was so focused on the falls I didn't even "see" the sky. Thanks for pointing it out, Don. This was shot near Big Pine Creek literally within 24 hours of the first big snow storm of the season. We were back skiing the following weekend. I can't name a favorite place in the Sierra (okay, maybe upper Tyndall basin), but the whole thing takes my breath away every time.

Feb 18, 2005 at 07:40 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My favorite place

#1 is very nice!! I agree with Don's point about cropping out the sky. Also you could try darkening it a bit and apply a hint of soft focus, if you're going for an ethereal effect. good stuff!

Feb 20, 2005 at 06:21 PM
colorblind
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My favorite place

First one is really great. Like stated earlier when the sky is off my screen it greatly improves the image. Thanks for sharing.

Carl....really enjoying the photos and different areas displayed on this board.

Feb 20, 2005 at 06:31 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My favorite place

Jen - the 1st is very nice

Feb 20, 2005 at 06:41 PM
Javier Rey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My favorite place

Exquisite image the first one. Imaginative and extraordinary the second one.

Javier

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:06 PM
bbrantley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My favorite place

Lovely pictures. I would like to see the water in the first one compensated back to white. To my eye it has a blue cast. I also might bump the sat. just a touch. The shot is a keeper, that much is clear!

Feb 21, 2005 at 12:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaweah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My favorite place

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I cropped out the sky and jacked up the sat a teeny bit. Ben, everytime I try messing with the water to make it "white" it keeps looking yellow/green to me? Maybe I should borrow that spider of yours

Feb 21, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My favorite place

Waterfalls, slot canyons, & sunsets......a photographer that does a decent job with any of these can't go wrong. But you've done much more than a 'decent' job with the falls. You've done *very* nicely. My own attempts at falls have failed miserably, so color me jealous.

Interesting that the 'Shell' has hardly received a mention. I find it interesting exactly because it isn't a falls, slot canyon, or sunset. But it does scream out to be a B&W convert, IMO.

Feb 21, 2005 at 01:59 AM
tjr59
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My favorite place

Nice work Jen!
I liked #1 before the crop, bit like it even more after it.

Feb 21, 2005 at 02:31 AM
deapee
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My favorite place

#2 is awesome. The colors work very well together and the dof is great. The bushes in the bottom really bring it to life.

Feb 21, 2005 at 02:59 AM
kaweah
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My favorite place

Fo Tollery wrote:
Waterfalls, slot canyons, & sunsets......a photographer that does a decent job with any of these can't go wrong. But you've done much more than a 'decent' job with the falls. You've done *very* nicely. My own attempts at falls have failed miserably, so color me jealous.

Interesting that the 'Shell' has hardly received a mention. I find it interesting exactly because it isn't a falls, slot canyon, or sunset. But it does scream out to be a B&W convert, IMO.

Thanks for the comments, Fo! I learned with waterfalls that I need to "slow down" and take the time to set up and take the shot. This one was taken on a bridge, so I had the benefit of setting my camera on the wooden rail and taking a "longer" exposure. Two of them were throwaways because my dog kept running back and forth across the bridge - her bouncing on the bridge made those shots blurry. Do you use a tripod? I finally got one and it expanded my options where I used to walk away because it was too dark for handhelds.

Yeah, I like #2 because trees are so remarkable to me and this is not an uncommon sight in the Sierra. I don't know how to convert an image to BW properly. When I convert to grayscale it looks very washed out and flat. Anyone know how (or want to take a shot)? I honestly haven't developed an eye for BW. I know what I like when I see it, but I can't compose in my head at this point.

Cheers,

jen

Feb 21, 2005 at 07:20 PM
kaweah
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My favorite place

Thanks for the comments fellas. I like the falls better with the crop too. Hey Dave, thanks for noting the tree - love trees

-jen

Feb 21, 2005 at 07:27 PM
FinnMan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My favorite place

Pleasant shot! Easy to enjoy its colors and compostion.

Tuomo

Feb 21, 2005 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password