FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2005 · HERE IT IS new rebel

CyberDyne
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Mine is giving me soft images,.. and it back focuses...

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:30 AM
jdaily
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Very sweet camera, but no joystick, no back wheel, and still a dim viewfinder compared to the 1-series. I think I'm still going for a used 1D for my next body; shame the XT won't drive those prices down.

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:33 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · HERE IT IS new rebel

sfriedberg wrote:
The 300D is already a bit too small to balance some of the glass I use, or to get a sufficiently confident grip. "25% smaller by volume" may be a bit misleading, I suppose. If uniformly shrunk, that means the XT's lineal dimensions are 91% of those of the 300D.

Balance the glass by holding it in the palm of your left hand. Let that hand take the weight. It is a good shooting stance anyway. When the lens is small and light, the hand shifts back to take the weight of the camera. You can put the center of mass of the camera and lens combination just a bit forward of the heel of your hand, regardless of what "glass" you have, unless of course you put it on a tripod.

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:35 AM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · HERE IT IS new rebel

You are right, changing the apeture can be a PITA, but I almost always shoot in AV, so it's cake for me.

Maybe the rebels are not as awkward as I thought. It all goes back to what the salesman told me when I bought my EOS 50 years ago and he compared the controls to the film rebel.

I will be very intersted in this new camera if the operational speed, focusing accuracy and ISO performance are significantly better than the 10D.

Kev

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:47 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Well I'm glad to see there's a replacement to the 300D because I personally thought it was terrible (as I do sports photography), however it produced gorgeous results when taking quick snapshots.

Is it just me or does the new BG-E3 look somewhat silly on the camera? Haha I just don't like it when the grip is made slightly longer or slightly shorter than the body. To me it should be like the 10D and BG-ED3 - where it all fits "evenly."

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:49 AM
sfriedberg

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Monito, I know you mean well, but that's pretty basic. And you've got to move that left hand around to zoom and manual focus, during which time the whole mess is held up and horizontal by the right hand's grip. When I've got lenses that weigh more than the camera does (and cost twice as much), I want a grip that lends confidence.

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:51 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · HERE IT IS new rebel

lovcom wrote:
It's going to kick the D70's ass!

I like your way of thinking!

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:51 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · HERE IT IS new rebel

sorry for making 3 separate posts on this (all 3 thoughts came at different times). Anyway when I used to own the 300D I thought it was EXTREMELY lightweight (but w/ the grip and two batteries it was much nicer). I just read Canon is reducing the total mass of the camera by a whopping 25% and subtracting 10% from the weight of the 300D. Is this really a "warm welcome?" To me it would be too lightweight. . .

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:07 AM
monsterbucket
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · HERE IT IS new rebel

not sure what all the fuss is about changing the aperature value on the 300d - if you shoot in manual mode the dial alone changes the shutter speed, and to change the aperture all you have to do is slide your thumb slightly to the left of the scooped out thumb rest and hold the AV button - am I missing something??

the updates to the rebel line that are in the new rebel aren't big enough to make me regret getting my 300d a month ago (which when all is said and done I got for around 500 for the body + lens). And on a body-styling note I think that the new rebel is a step down from the 300d - the rear of the 300d seems better layed out (speaking specifically of the Av button placement and the thumb rest)

I'll be fine with the 300d for at least a couple years while I get back into the swing of SLR photography - and by then we'll all be shooting sub 1000$ DSLRs that kick the poop out of today's lineup.

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:16 AM
loudtiger
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · HERE IT IS new rebel

wow, this is almost as good as the 20D! go canon

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Seems somewhat cheap and junky with the tiny dimensions and light weight to tempt the 8MP P/S users to upgrade. I would not be surprised if handling larger lenses on the body will be a PITA, even worse than with the 20D.

It is interesting that the sensor has been modified to reduce noise. I wonder how resolution will be affected and when the technology will be introduced into future pro bodies.

EB

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:40 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · HERE IT IS new rebel

I think Canon is continuing to market the Rebel to it's primary users, women. The vast majority of the women that come to class with a dSLR, come with a Rebel. Only a handful shoot a Nikon. The smaller size will better fit a women's hand.

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:49 AM
hk29

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · HERE IT IS new rebel

1. Wouldn't a 8.0mp be very different from the 8.2mp cmos? I wonder if it'll be as low noise as the 20d ... I hope so

2. Does all canons have this low-pass blur filter?

Edited by hk29 on Feb 17, 2005 at 04:58 AM GMT

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:52 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · HERE IT IS new rebel

well that is a 200,000 pixel difference . . . hmmm - i suppose we'll have to wait for some sample images!

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:54 AM
The Big Bad
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · HERE IT IS new rebel

I agree with Guy, take a few months off when the masses get their hands on them

Seriously though Im all for a small lightweight travel package. Not much bigger than a P&S and with much better image quality and high ISO performance, cant beat that.

That little guy with a 50 prime almost could fit in a coat pocket for some city shooting.

Id sure avoid putting a 24-70 and speedlight onto it though or your going to have some real hand cramps

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:28 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · HERE IT IS new rebel

"Chicks" money is as green as any body else's and your right, it will sell like crazy.

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:29 AM
Keith Wong
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · HERE IT IS new rebel

If Nikon does not respond soon to this latest challenge, in 5-10 years time Nikon will go the way of Pentax, Olympus, and Minolta: bit players chewing at niche markets.

Think about it. Nikon's entire camera business hinges on the D70. The Coolpix P&S lines sell miserably compared to Sony's and Canon's. Hardly anybody buys the D100 or D1X any more. The D2H was a great seller at $1999, but the D2HS at $3499 have even the most battle hardened Nikon apologists scratching their heads. Even the D70 did not have much new technology - a sensor sourced from Sony (and also available if you buy a Minolta or a Pentax). The real revolution of the D70 was to include various modules cribbed from higher end cameras at an entry level price.

This camera will not kill the D70 market totally, but it will mean many lost sales, especially since competition is hotting up with new entry level cameras from Pentax, Minolta, and Olympus. It will mean Nikon will not make as much revenue from its most important camera.

IF there is no D200 or D80 sometime this year we can expect Nikon's 2005 financial report not to look too healthy ...

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:29 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · HERE IT IS new rebel

If Nikon does not respond soon to this latest challenge, in 5-10 years time Nikon will go the way of Pentax, Olympus, and Minolta: bit players chewing at niche markets.

I doubt it will even take 5 to 10 years, more like 2 to 4 years in my estimation.

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Have you looked at Nikon's balance sheet lately? They do other things besides sell consumer products like 35mm cameras.

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:34 AM
mbohunsky
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Did you see how tiny that camera is!?

That lens looks huge compared to the body! And it's one of the smallest lenses around.

Mod edit: Image removed. Copyright violation.

Edited by Fred Miranda on Feb 16, 2005 at 11:19 PM GMT

Feb 17, 2005 at 05:44 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password